Author Topic: Support Path  (Read 8033 times)

hudster

• Gator
Support Path
« on: February 11, 2004, 07:47:33 AM »
Is there a way I can add a set of folders to the support path without having to add each individual one?

I have a set of plot scripts all sorted as per page size and I want to add them to the support path but there are 15 folders and I have 50 PCs to set up to support them.

Cheers. :shock:
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Support Path
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 07:56:15 AM »
Maybe create a "Shortcut" to the folders.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

daron

Support Path
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 09:28:07 AM »
Set it up on one. Create a profile for it. Export the profile and load it on another machine as a test. If everybody's machine looks the same, you can load this profile up on everybody's machine, but if each person has a different flavor for how autocad looks, you might want to create and export profiles for each and then... That might be too much for 50 machines. Go with the first idea, then if they want to change the look back, they can do it manually. I wonder if there's a way to do it programmatically? The arg file is built like a registry file. You could have everybody's profile exported, then change each one programmatically, by copying the registry section on yours and replacing the section in each of the other profiles.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Support Path
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 11:40:32 AM »
Darons idea with the profile is probably the best (all registry settings). I add support paths with this:

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R15.0\ACAD-1:409\Profiles\<<Unnamed Profile>>\General] <-- Hopefully all profile names are the same

"ACAD"="R:\\FONTCLNT;C:\\Program Files\\Watermark ID\\;C:\\Program Files\\Watermark ID\\Support\\Menu\\BMP;......

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

pmvliet

Support Path
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 04:03:17 PM »
Is there no other way to set search paths in AutoCad other then profiles or registry edits? I know all of that information is stored in the registry
but I wish there was another way to change this. We have close to 20 different profiles in our office for various clients. Clients have specific fonts, linetypes, colortable blah, blah blah/. I honestly think that our registry files are getting corrupt. At no particular time, variables start changing and things get changed... text fill, savetime, # of command lines jsut to name a few.
I really want to go to scripts/lisps to set variables & search paths but I can't find anything for search paths. :(

pieter

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Support Path
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 04:42:09 PM »
>I can't find anything for search paths.
I the way of a lisp program, you mean?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

daron

Support Path
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 05:24:04 PM »
But you are familiar with editing registries, aren't you? Couldn't all the profiles be exported to one folder, then have all the contents of that folder be accessed through lisp and edited at whatever portion is needed?

Spageddie

Support Path
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 05:40:01 PM »
8) could be possible with VBA

hendie

Support Path
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 03:42:49 AM »
what about INNO Setup ? it's been a while since I looked at it but I seem to remember you could add support paths when creating your installation package
failing that I know you can edit the registry with it. So you could create a dummy installation script which would make all the changes you want then just run it on each machine

CADaver

Support Path
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 08:04:53 AM »
Quote from: pmvliet
Is there no other way to set search paths in AutoCad other then profiles or registry edits? .... We have close to 20 different profiles in our office for various clients. .... I honestly think that our registry files are getting corrupt. At no particular time, variables start changing and things get changed... text fill, savetime, # of command lines jsut to name a few.

We have over 40 different profiles, and I've found that to be the most stable method of accomplishing that for which you're asking.  We have all the standard profiles located on the network in a read-only directory (including shortcuts for each).  User's simply import the latest profile and copy the shortcut to their desktop and they're off and running.  Certain environment variables are set when the base MNC/MNL is loaded and client specific elements are modified with MENULOADed client MNC/MNLs.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Support Path
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 12:14:21 PM »
Pmvliet,

If you are having variables change randomly on different computers, you might want to incorporate these settings into your acad.lsp. I wrote down a list of problems that I had been hearing from my co-workers, incorporated them (the fixes) into the drawing startup and haven't had any gripes since. This is what my file looks like:

(defun c:settings()

(setvar 'acadlspasdoc 1)
(setvar 'apbox 1)
(setvar 'attdia 1)
(setvar 'auditctl 0)
(setvar 'bindtype 1)
(setvar 'cecolor "bylayer")
(setvar 'celtype "bylayer")
(setvar 'cmddia 1)
(setvar 'coords 2)
(setvar 'delobj 1)
(setvar 'dimassoc 1)
(setvar 'dwgcheck 3)
(setvar 'edgemode 1)
(setvar 'elevation 0)
(setvar 'expert 1)
(setvar 'facetratio 1)
(setvar 'facetres 10)
(setvar 'filedia 1)
(setvar 'filletrad 0)
(setvar 'fillmode 1)
(setvar 'grips 1)
(setvar 'hideprecision 1)
(setvar 'highlight 1)
(setvar 'hpbound 1)
(setvar 'imagehlt 1)
(setvar 'isavepercent 0)
(setvar 'logfilemode 0)
(setvar 'lunits 2)
(setvar 'maxsort 5000)
(setvar 'mbuttonpan 1)
(setvar 'mirrtext 0)
(setvar 'olequality 4)
(setvar 'pickadd 1)
(setvar 'pickauto 1)
(setvar 'pickfirst 1)
(setvar 'pickstyle 1)
(setvar 'plinegen 1)
(setvar 'rtdisplay 0)
(setvar 'savetime 5)
(setvar 'sortents 1)
(setvar 'textfill 1)
(setvar 'ucsfollow 0)
(setvar 'whiparc 0)
(setvar 'xfadectl 75)
(setvar 'xloadctl 2)
)
(c:settings)

HTH

Ron :D

Custom Build PC

pmvliet

Support Path
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 12:21:06 PM »
How do you go about updating these profiles if you need to make a change? What are your users saying when they loose all their setting's, toolbars, colors, cursors, mbuttonpan variables and stuff like that?

I have been contemplating really examining the arg file and stripping everything except the search paths... Not sure how that would work.

I just think all these profiles are messing with settings as things keep changing for no particular reason and it is driving everyone nuts.

Hendie:
What is INNO?

Mark:
yes either lisp or script or something other then profiles...

pieter

CADaver

Support Path
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2004, 12:55:29 PM »
Quote from: pmvliet
How do you go about updating these profiles if you need to make a change? What are your users saying when they loose all their setting's, toolbars, colors, cursors, mbuttonpan variables and stuff like that?

I just think all these profiles are messing with settings as things keep changing for no particular reason and it is driving everyone nuts.

Almost nothing changes that can not be controlled by our SETUP.LSP or the templates.

The profiles are tied to client names and so are the client's contract directories so the paths are pretty stable.

For the things that do change, I update the master profile and re-export it.  Then EMAIL everybody instructions on how to implement the change locally, if they don't wish to overwrite their custom settings.  

The only things I've found that noodle too much with settings are 3rd party apps, and users without enough to do.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Support Path
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 01:42:48 PM »
I have a batch file that is in everyones startup. It looks at the existing files and the files to copy....if the existing files modified date is older than the files being copied, it updates them. If not, the copy is ignored. i don't have to deal with different profile names so the search path update for me is fairly easy.

Looks like this:

@echo off
Title Lisp Routines & Aqua Menu Update

set COPYCMD=/Y :force the overwriting of destination files under both NT4 and Windows2000

xcopy "S:\AutoCAD 2002\Workstation New Installs\aqua.mns" "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2002\SUPPORT\*"/R/S/I/Y/K/D/Q
del   "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2002\SUPPORT\aqua.mnr"
xcopy "S:\AutoCAD 2002\Workstation New Installs\aqua.dll" "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2002\SUPPORT\*"/R/S/I/Y/K/D/Q

Custom Build PC

CADaver

Support Path
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2004, 03:56:22 PM »
Quote from: ronjonp
I have a batch file that is in everyones startup. It looks at the existing files and the files to copy....if the existing files modified date is older than the files being copied, it updates them. If not, the copy is ignored.
xcopy "S:\AutoCAD 2002\Workstation New Installs\aqua.mns" "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2002\SUPPORT\*"/R/S/I/Y/K/D/Q
del   "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2002\SUPPORT\aqua.mnr"
xcopy "S:\AutoCAD 2002\Workstation New Installs\aqua.dll" "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2002\SUPPORT\*"/R/S/I/Y/K/D/Q[/code]

EVERYTHING, except a PERSONAL.MNS is kept on the network in a read-only directory.  I have one place to modify and everyone is updated.

The PERSONAL.MNS is for user's to diddle with and is menuloaded behind the base and client menus.