Author Topic: Out of interest!!  (Read 15472 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Out of interest!!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2004, 09:12:05 PM »
Veddy interrrethtink
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Spageddie

Out of interest!!
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2004, 10:43:23 PM »
8) Why not ask your client to use the etramsit feature which will aslo have the ability to saveas R2000 fro your Acad2002.

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:

hyposmurf

Out of interest!!
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2004, 08:02:59 AM »
We use 2K & 2K4.We also have to save back to release 2000 format drawings,so the file compresion feature is useless until enough people are using 2004.

daron

Out of interest!!
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2004, 09:47:44 AM »
Personally, I think the idea of getting one copy at least of 2004 is the best advice. This way, if you get a vendor that keeps forgetting, you don't have to call him and wait. You just take it to the server computer and save it back.

CADaver

Out of interest!!
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2004, 10:31:29 AM »
Quote from: Daron
Personally, I think the idea of getting one copy at least of 2004 is the best advice. This way, if you get a vendor that keeps forgetting, you don't have to call him and wait. You just take it to the server computer and save it back.

I agree.  We have, in this office, around 150 seats, about 20 are running 2K4, the rest are running 2K2.  As contracts are completed, we migrate seats.  Sometimes that takes a while, we just got rid of the last R14 seats about 4 months ago

The rub comes from single seat shops who don't plan on plopping down bucks for upgrades every 18 months.  So when it happens they haven't the resources to upgrade.  Then they want to complain that ADESK is doing it just for profit, but when you look around boards like these, they are the very same guys with wishlists as long as your arm.

They complain that it works just fine like it is and the new features aren't worth the upgrade.  I heard the same complaint when we went from Ver 2.1 to 2.5, but how many now would want to go back to a version without UNDO?  I heard the same complaint when we went from R10 to R11, but who wants to go back to a version without PAPERSPACE?

I give the same answer every time. You are not forced to upgrade, so don't worry about it.  Your competitors will.

~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, is the new avatar more friendly ;)

daron

Out of interest!!
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2004, 11:14:02 AM »
Very cute.

Spageddie

Out of interest!!
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2004, 04:56:55 PM »
8) Yes I agree.....................................................................the new avatar is friendlier...... :lol:

OH !!!!! I also agree on the ADESK issue............... :lol:

CADaver

Out of interest!!
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2004, 05:19:39 PM »
Quote from: Spageddie
8) Yes I agree.....................................................................the new avatar is friendlier...... :lol:

ya' know it might be friendlier, but it just ain't me, if you know what I mean.  Oh, well... :wink:

daron

Out of interest!!
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2004, 05:22:27 PM »
I'm sure you'll find something that'll suit you.

Spageddie

Out of interest!!
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2004, 05:38:21 PM »
8) Gone express yourself..................

Martin-Y

Out of interest!!
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2004, 06:26:14 AM »
Cadaver, yours and others contribution to these forums is as always gratefully received but please don't judge me. We have a small design team in a medium size construction company and don't have control over the purse strings. I would indeed like to have all the upgrades as there is always something new to make my life easier. Like most people we are only allowed every second version (except when we went from 13 to 14) but then 13 was around for a long time. I was only annoyed this week as it was the first time any of the people I do business with had sent me an unreadable 2004 copy. I look to this site for shared knowledge, even after 10 years there is still much to learn.
ps. I still haven't been able to sell them the subscription option

CADaver

Out of interest!!
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2004, 07:54:59 AM »
Sorry, I never intended to judge you, only your position. But it sounds like your beef, originally aimed at ADESK, should be aimed at your employers.  

Don't get me wrong here; ADESK has much to answer for, R13 being one of them.  Now if you wish to take them to task for ignorant business practices, like dropping buggy releases on their unsuspecting user base, I'll supply the tar if you supply the feathers.

But upgrades are just a fact of doing business.  As the industry requires more and more flexibility, as our product changes, as hardware technology advances, as other software becomes more sophisticated, AutoDESK will HAVE to keep up, or be replaced.  Setting aside $50 a month per seat to insure I have the ability to respond to my client's needs and desires at any given time is relatively small potatoes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS - I'm still looking for the "right" avatar, any suggestions?

Dent Cermak

Out of interest!!
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2004, 08:16:30 AM »
I think the bunny is just SO sweet. It's refreshing to see an old, fat man finally get in touch with his feminine side and then flaunt it!! YOU GO GIRL!!

CADaver

Out of interest!!
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2004, 09:46:16 AM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak
I think the bunny is just SO sweet. It's refreshing to see an old, fat man finally get in touch with his feminine side and then flaunt it!! YOU GO GIRL!!

hmmm...  maybe you're right... say, is there a "Barbie" pink board style setting somewhere??

daron

Out of interest!!
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2004, 10:08:57 AM »
vbdesignjr has a couple. But that's a VBulletin board.