Author Topic: Out of interest!!  (Read 15247 times)

Martin-Y

Out of interest!!
« on: February 10, 2004, 10:08:02 AM »
I dared to have a moan on Autodesk discussion forum about being unable to read 2004 with my lowly 2002. I was promptly lambasted probably by Autodesk employees for lack of support to our "favourite" software by not upgrading every time they do. What version are you guys on out of interest?

daron

Out of interest!!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 10:12:03 AM »
Mostly 2002. Some on 2004. I'm sorry to hear that Autodesk thinks they put out such a great product with each release that they must make you feel less important for not jumping on the latest and greatest band-wagon. 2004 is a great product, but it is flawed in many ways. You'll have better discussions here anyway.

Hangman

Interest ...
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 12:45:31 PM »
Well, that's a loaded question.   :D

My office officially uses 2k4 ADT, ...
However, we are currently on the board when it comes to drafting, currently at v14 when it comes to toolbar commands and such and constantly saving files to 2000 because everybody we share with is using 2000 or 2002.

I've tried reasoning with them (my office coworkers), tried forcing them, tried coercing them and I've even tried bribing them.
They say, "If you can't beat em, Join em".   That's the only thing I haven't done yet, ...  BEAT them.   :D

M-dub

Out of interest!!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 12:57:11 PM »
I use 2002...
Autodesk is living in a dream world and they're trying to force everyone who uses their products to join them.  They only wear Autodesk's shoes.  In other words, they either don't know what it's like to be on a limited budget or they don't care to remember.  Collectively, we are who made Autodesk who they are now...
As Rodney Dangerfield would say..."I get no respect!"

daron

Out of interest!!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 01:17:38 PM »
HM, what do the vendor's that get ADT objects think about the 2D un-editable proxy's you send when you save back to 2000?

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Out of interest!!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 01:22:37 PM »
Taking Adesk's side for a momment........ after all they are a company, and they HAVE to make money. The only way to do that is to sell NEW software.

>Collectively, we are who made Autodesk who they are now...
agreed, wish i owned stock :D
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

t-bear

Out of interest!!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 01:59:24 PM »
Mark said:
Taking Adesk's side for a momment........ after all they are a company, and they HAVE to make money.

True, but it's not "good business practice" to alienate your customers.  I'm not privy to the conversation Martin had with A-desk, of course, but it SOUNDS like you are either using the "latest & greatest" or you aren't worth dealing with.  I quit going to A-desk years ago so I can't regale you with stories, good OR bad.  IMHO there's more info on the forums and, for the most part, you are treated with respect whether you are on 2K4 or R9........
We're on 2000i BTW........will pro'lly stay here 'til just b'for they drop "support".

Hangman

Out of interest!!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 02:00:32 PM »
Daron,

I'm sure they cuss and call us a bunch-a-losers.  I know the Engineers we work with do.   It drives me nuts when I have to explode a block because these boneheads "... don't like overlapping lines".   I've tried the analogy of, "Does a framer scrape the face off of a 2x4 just so he doesn't have 'overlapping faces'"?
My problem is, they complain to the boss that they have to work with my drawings.  Then the Boss comes to me with the " we have several drafters here and your the only one causing a problem, get back to the office standards".   Like we have any.   :evil:

Sorry, I'm on a soapbox ...  on to bigger and better things.

daron

Out of interest!!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 02:33:56 PM »
Sounds like you're in the same situation as I. You're the only one using 2004 and everybody else in your office is in 2002 or previous? My solution is to not deal with any drawings that actually contain AEC objects.

Hangman

Out of interest!!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 06:04:05 PM »
I kinda wish I was the only one PERIOD.   It'd be so much easier, my drawings, my way, no complaints, no problems.   (yeah ...)   :lol:

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Out of interest!!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 06:23:17 PM »
I love my job ... :lol:
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

daron

Out of interest!!
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 06:25:27 PM »
I'm getting there.

CADaver

Out of interest!!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 06:34:53 PM »
Quote from: t-bear

I'm not privy to the conversation Martin had with A-desk, of course, but it SOUNDS like you are either using the "latest & greatest" or you aren't worth dealing with.  

Yo Bear,
  His conversation was not with ADESK, but with me (and a couple others) and it wasn't about ADESK support, it was about the whine that you couldn't open R2004 files with R2002.

daron

Out of interest!!
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2004, 06:37:12 PM »
It's called service pack 1 or 2 and deal with proxy's the best you can. Care 2 share a link to this discussion, Cadaver?

CADaver

Out of interest!!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2004, 06:58:24 PM »
Quote from: Daron
It's called service pack 1 or 2 and deal with proxy's the best you can. Care 2 share a link to this discussion, Cadaver?

Sure,

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=312860

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
Out of interest!!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2004, 09:12:05 PM »
Veddy interrrethtink

Spageddie

Out of interest!!
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2004, 10:43:23 PM »
8) Why not ask your client to use the etramsit feature which will aslo have the ability to saveas R2000 fro your Acad2002.

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:

hyposmurf

Out of interest!!
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2004, 08:02:59 AM »
We use 2K & 2K4.We also have to save back to release 2000 format drawings,so the file compresion feature is useless until enough people are using 2004.

daron

Out of interest!!
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2004, 09:47:44 AM »
Personally, I think the idea of getting one copy at least of 2004 is the best advice. This way, if you get a vendor that keeps forgetting, you don't have to call him and wait. You just take it to the server computer and save it back.

CADaver

Out of interest!!
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2004, 10:31:29 AM »
Quote from: Daron
Personally, I think the idea of getting one copy at least of 2004 is the best advice. This way, if you get a vendor that keeps forgetting, you don't have to call him and wait. You just take it to the server computer and save it back.

I agree.  We have, in this office, around 150 seats, about 20 are running 2K4, the rest are running 2K2.  As contracts are completed, we migrate seats.  Sometimes that takes a while, we just got rid of the last R14 seats about 4 months ago

The rub comes from single seat shops who don't plan on plopping down bucks for upgrades every 18 months.  So when it happens they haven't the resources to upgrade.  Then they want to complain that ADESK is doing it just for profit, but when you look around boards like these, they are the very same guys with wishlists as long as your arm.

They complain that it works just fine like it is and the new features aren't worth the upgrade.  I heard the same complaint when we went from Ver 2.1 to 2.5, but how many now would want to go back to a version without UNDO?  I heard the same complaint when we went from R10 to R11, but who wants to go back to a version without PAPERSPACE?

I give the same answer every time. You are not forced to upgrade, so don't worry about it.  Your competitors will.

~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, is the new avatar more friendly ;)

daron

Out of interest!!
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2004, 11:14:02 AM »
Very cute.

Spageddie

Out of interest!!
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2004, 04:56:55 PM »
8) Yes I agree.....................................................................the new avatar is friendlier...... :lol:

OH !!!!! I also agree on the ADESK issue............... :lol:

CADaver

Out of interest!!
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2004, 05:19:39 PM »
Quote from: Spageddie
8) Yes I agree.....................................................................the new avatar is friendlier...... :lol:

ya' know it might be friendlier, but it just ain't me, if you know what I mean.  Oh, well... :wink:

daron

Out of interest!!
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2004, 05:22:27 PM »
I'm sure you'll find something that'll suit you.

Spageddie

Out of interest!!
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2004, 05:38:21 PM »
8) Gone express yourself..................

Martin-Y

Out of interest!!
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2004, 06:26:14 AM »
Cadaver, yours and others contribution to these forums is as always gratefully received but please don't judge me. We have a small design team in a medium size construction company and don't have control over the purse strings. I would indeed like to have all the upgrades as there is always something new to make my life easier. Like most people we are only allowed every second version (except when we went from 13 to 14) but then 13 was around for a long time. I was only annoyed this week as it was the first time any of the people I do business with had sent me an unreadable 2004 copy. I look to this site for shared knowledge, even after 10 years there is still much to learn.
ps. I still haven't been able to sell them the subscription option

CADaver

Out of interest!!
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2004, 07:54:59 AM »
Sorry, I never intended to judge you, only your position. But it sounds like your beef, originally aimed at ADESK, should be aimed at your employers.  

Don't get me wrong here; ADESK has much to answer for, R13 being one of them.  Now if you wish to take them to task for ignorant business practices, like dropping buggy releases on their unsuspecting user base, I'll supply the tar if you supply the feathers.

But upgrades are just a fact of doing business.  As the industry requires more and more flexibility, as our product changes, as hardware technology advances, as other software becomes more sophisticated, AutoDESK will HAVE to keep up, or be replaced.  Setting aside $50 a month per seat to insure I have the ability to respond to my client's needs and desires at any given time is relatively small potatoes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS - I'm still looking for the "right" avatar, any suggestions?

Dent Cermak

Out of interest!!
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2004, 08:16:30 AM »
I think the bunny is just SO sweet. It's refreshing to see an old, fat man finally get in touch with his feminine side and then flaunt it!! YOU GO GIRL!!

CADaver

Out of interest!!
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2004, 09:46:16 AM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak
I think the bunny is just SO sweet. It's refreshing to see an old, fat man finally get in touch with his feminine side and then flaunt it!! YOU GO GIRL!!

hmmm...  maybe you're right... say, is there a "Barbie" pink board style setting somewhere??

daron

Out of interest!!
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2004, 10:08:57 AM »
vbdesignjr has a couple. But that's a VBulletin board.

VerticalMojo

Out of interest!!
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2004, 11:45:35 AM »
CADaver,

for a second there I thought the bunny was hanging from a noose! :lol:

CADaver

Out of interest!!
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2004, 12:33:10 PM »
Quote from: VerticalMojo
CADaver,

for a second there I thought the bunny was hanging from a noose! :lol:

snicker, I just noticed that...  cool.

Maybe I can get Craig to animate the little bunny twisting in a breeze...

ELOQUINTET

Out of interest!!
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2004, 12:57:05 PM »
now that would be more appropriate  :wink:

CADaver

Out of interest!!
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2004, 01:11:59 PM »
Quote from: eloquintet
now that would be more appropriate  :wink:

:cry: Hey now, you just might hurt my feelings with a comment like that....

... if'n I had feelings that is   :wink:

ELOQUINTET

Out of interest!!
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2004, 01:14:15 PM »
stop cryin ya little bleeeeep  :lol:

CADaver

Out of interest!!
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2004, 04:12:54 PM »
mommmmmiiiiieeeeeee

Spageddie

Out of interest!!
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2004, 05:11:34 PM »
:twisted: kill the wabbit, kill the wabit.....heheheheheh... :twisted:

CADaver

Out of interest!!
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2004, 05:58:53 PM »
:twisted: kill the wabbit, kill the wabit.....heheheheheh... :twisted:

awww mannn!!!!!!!!  spit coffee in my keyboard again.... :lol:

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
Out of interest!!
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2004, 06:15:47 PM »
At least it is coffee.... man ... I am hungwy... and I have a taste for wabbit.....

Spageddie

Out of interest!!
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2004, 08:05:33 PM »
8) Just having a go at ya.....Cadaver..... :lol:

CADaver

Out of interest!!
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2004, 08:43:04 PM »
8) Just having a go at ya.....Cadaver..... :lol:

Swing away :lol:

Dent Cermak

Out of interest!!
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2004, 09:15:53 PM »
I've dined on jerked chicken but I've never had hung bunny.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
Out of interest!!
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2004, 10:15:58 PM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak
I've dined on jerked chicken ....

MMmmmmm ..... A tase of da islands mon....

Dent Cermak

Out of interest!!
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2004, 10:19:07 PM »
POKYMON.......JAMACAN PROCTOLOGIST  ?

Spageddie

Out of interest!!
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2004, 12:20:12 AM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

CADaver

Out of interest!!
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2004, 08:08:44 AM »
Does anyone have an audio clip of "Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit" ???