Author Topic: Printing text to the cursor with Dynamic Input?  (Read 6619 times)

zoltan

Printing text to the cursor with Dynamic Input?
« on: December 16, 2005, 10:19:39 AM »
In AutoCAD 2006, with Dynamic input on, all of the Get(stuff) functions and SSGet display their prompt at the cursor.  All of the Prin* functions do not.   So how does one display information at the cursor that does not cause a prompt for user input?  The ID and DIST commands can display multiple lines of text at the cursor, is it possible to do this in LISP, or was it overlooked?

Jürg Menzi

• Swamp Rat
  • Oberegg, Switzerland
Re: Printing text to the cursor with Dynamic Input?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 10:42:36 AM »
In AutoCAD 2006, with Dynamic input on, all of the Get(stuff) functions and SSGet display their prompt at the cursor.  All of the Prin* functions do not.   So how does one display information at the cursor that does not cause a prompt for user input?
AFAIK, there is no possibility to do that...
  The ID and DIST commands can display multiple lines of text at the cursor, is it possible to do this in LISP, or was it overlooked?
(progn (initget "Yes No") (getpoint "\nThis is the first line\nThis is the second line [Yes/No]: "))
A computer's human touch is its unscrupulousness!
MENZI ENGINEERING GmbH
Current A2k16... A2k24 - Start R2.18

zoltan

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 10:45:14 AM »
In AutoCAD 2006, with Dynamic input on, all of the Get(stuff) functions and SSGet display their prompt at the cursor.  All of the Prin* functions do not.   So how does one display information at the cursor that does not cause a prompt for user input?
AFAIK, there is no possibility to do that...
  The ID and DIST commands can display multiple lines of text at the cursor, is it possible to do this in LISP, or was it overlooked?
(progn (initget "Yes No") (getpoint "\nThis is the first line\nThis is the second line [Yes/No]: "))

The ID and DIST commands dispay the result of the command at the cursur when the command ends, not just at the prompt for the points.

Jürg Menzi

• Swamp Rat
  • Oberegg, Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 10:57:13 AM »
The ID and DIST commands dispay the result of the command at the cursur when the command ends, not just at the prompt for the points.
Don't know how they do that... :-(
A computer's human touch is its unscrupulousness!
MENZI ENGINEERING GmbH
Current A2k16... A2k24 - Start R2.18

zoltan

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 11:03:53 AM »
Maybe one of the ObjectARX gurus can do it.

Dinosaur

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 11:13:04 AM »
I found it easier to just turn off the dynamic input option . . . it was just too much fuss for too little benefit.

deegeecees

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 11:14:24 AM »
Is "foreach" applicable here? Take this chunk of code that lists out DXF data after selection:

Code: [Select]
(defun C:DXFLIST ()
(setq cmdeko (getvar "cmdecho"))
(setvar "cmdecho" 0)
(SETQ EN1 (ENTSEL"\nSelect entity to display its data: "))
(SETQ EN2 (ENTGET (CAR EN1)))
(SETQ NLAY (ASSOC 8 EN2))
(SETQ NLAY2 (CDR NLAY))
(textscr)
(LIST EN2)
(foreach n EN2 (print n))
(setvar "cmdecho" cmdeko)
)

Basically, create a list, then for each item in the list, print to the textscreen.

Hope this helps.

whdjr

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 11:26:53 AM »
Quote from: AutoCad Help
Dynamic Input provides a command interface near the cursor to help you keep your focus in the drafting area.

When Dynamic Input is on, tooltips display information near the cursor that is dynamically updated as the cursor moves. When a command is active, the tooltips provide a place for user entry.

The actions required to complete a command or to use grips are similar to those for the command line. The difference is that your attention can stay near the cursor.

Dynamic Input is not designed to replace the command window. You can hide the command window to add screen area for drawing, but you will need to display it for some operations. Press F2 to hide and display command prompts and error messages as needed. Alternatively, you can undock the command window and use Auto-hide to roll open or roll up the window.

Dynaminc Imput is not supposed to replace the command line just supplement it.  I think it would better if it replaced it or allowed you to choose but right now it is kind of half-baked.

deegeecees

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 12:39:22 PM »
Aha! Now I see that I missed the mark once again. Way off. Sorry, disregard my previous post. I'll slink away with some dignity still in tact.

dan19936

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 05:01:11 PM »
So how does one display information at the cursor that does not cause a prompt for user input?

you could draw text using grvecs

here is a start with numbers: http://www.cadlantic.com/freebies/Digital.lsp

now you just need a program to read .SHP files and convert to lisp...

Dan Allen

uncoolperson

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 10:33:47 AM »
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=430829

there's a rough start with letters (it's been changed alittle since then, but more for my application of it...if you want i can throw it your way)