Author Topic: Revit 8.1  (Read 3507 times)

SaMo2

Revit 8.1
« on: October 14, 2005, 03:47:11 PM »
Anyone used Revit 8.1 yet?
Our office is looking at upgrading our 2002 stuff to this...
And also, how "worth it" is AutoDesk's subscription program (especially in regards to Revit)?
-
Just thought I would try and get feedback before we make a major purchase...
Maybe ADT will suffice?

Thanks!

SaM :-)2

LE

Re: Revit 8.1
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 08:08:25 PM »
From AutoCAD 2002 to Revit ?

I don't use Revit lately, nor also ADT, but I was a user of those packages....

A little story on ADT, in one of my previous jobs, the office got into the catch of moving everyone [32] to ADT 2.0, long story short -> they lost two major jobs because of the lack of experience on using ADT, the first major loose was of two payments of $XX,000 put on hold, since no advance was provided.... to much pain of exchanging information, a lot of "hey the sections are not live", "we cannot put or add that detail there, because is not an AEC object".... etc... at the end the move back to Vanilla AutoCAD...

The last I heard is they where moving into Revit..... hope they have a good luck this time...

A.... the worst part, we did not get any bonus that year......  :pissed:  :realmad:

ryandk

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 05:15:20 PM »
We "use adt2004" here in our office.  I have revit 8.1 on my machine also as well as the new versions of adt for testing/experimental purposes. I use revit from time to time and just doing some basics I have found my progress stunted by the lack of depth to most of the tools (in my opinion but I'm no revit expert). 

My room mate that works at another architectural firm was using revit but they have ceased it's use on all but perhaps small commercial and residential.  They had some revit error and it crashed, losing two weeks worth of work (can we say backup).  They also say they dropped it because it was too difficult for the users to handle.  Take this with a grain of salt also as I found out that only a few were formally trained in revit the others were just expected to run through the tutorials after hours.

So while they might not have had the best support which may have lead to their discontinuation of revit use, I'm also more than a little leary whenever somebody representing Autodesk's wallet starts talking whether it is an Adesk employee or a third party consultant/seller.

Ryan

SaMo2

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 05:47:03 PM »
Thank you guys for all of the input.
We wen ahead and got two copies of Revit and will try our luck with it as well.
-
We did opt for 2-day training sessions for 2 of our employees, so hopefully that will help us out.
Wish us luck! Sounds like we are gonna need it!

-SAMo2

Dilbert

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 08:38:37 PM »
I wanted to bring this topic back to life.

When it comes to Revit (now in version 9.1) doing the practice lessons provided with the program is a huge help, but endlessly frustrating at times if you don't love to do CAD. I highly recommend taking a class with someone that has used the program to walk through any problems you may have. Also, 2 day classes to learn Revit basics really isn't long enough. I'd say 3 days is the minimum and ideally 4-5 days if you are going to be the CAD administrator for the project (unless you are also provided Tech support/calls for the product).

I've now taught 4 companies and over a dozen individuals in the use of Revit. It's a 3 Days minimum process and I often field calls from those that have further questions after its over. The program on the surface is very easy (once you learn the basics) but it has its complexities like any other program that take some time and mastery. In the end you find yourself "thinking" like Revit. This doesn't mean Revit influences your designs, it means it becomes intuitive (like using a pencil) on how to communicate your design intent. Remember, few of us found out everything about AutoCAD or even good technique with a pencil and paper with just a few days of practice.. it takes time to master a program and Revit is no different in this regard. Yet the power it provides during a project is really worth the time and investment in training to at least become proficient in its use.

How easy is it? I started training others when I had only used the program for 3 months. I've been using it for almost 7 months now and I've become a true power user for the product. The only area where I'm currently a little weak is in big project coordination. I understand it, but I've only had limited experience in actually doing it. So while I find I stumble a bit at times during the use in big projects, I quickly realize where changes/improvements need to be made and can implement them... I now "think like Revit".  The companies that have problems with it are the ones that don't spend th money on training or don't have the patience to slowly guide their employees into the correct workflow process. Those that do tend to see the implementation advantages within a few months time.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 08:41:22 PM by Dilbert »

daron

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 08:35:37 AM »
While I haven't used revit, I too would like to say that the training in the product is a driving factor in whether or not any company is going to make it or break it when converting to any program that nobody knows how to use. Most companies think that since they've been using Autocad for ages, there shouldn't be any problem in using another Autodesk product. A few years ago, my company was looking at doing 3d rendering and we bought viz and took about 3 days of training. It was well worth it. If I didn't get that training then, I wouldn't ever have know how to get past drawing basic objects. I'd say that the 3-5 day training is going to serve you better than 2 days.