Author Topic: Name this forum  (Read 15402 times)

Draftek

• Water Moccasin
Re: Name this forum
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2005, 05:08:11 PM »
The ARXidental Language

or

ARXology - The study of things that make that vein in your forehead pop out...
Soli Deo Gloria

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2005, 05:14:24 PM »
Hmm.  The other programming forums seem to have fairly straight-forward names, so "ARX Programming" would fit right in.  I did like "ARX a question" though.

On the public versus private issue, am I correct in assuming that guests can't even tell that the private forums exist?  If so, then a casual visitor in search of help with ARX programming would never even know that ARX was being discussed at the swamp if the forum was made private.  Seems counterproductive.

I don't like the idea of some troll poaching my code without participating here in a meaningful way any more than the next person, but I have reconciled myself to that possibility in order that I might be able to help those do contribute.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2005, 07:10:00 PM »
. . . but I have reconciled myself to that possibility in order that I might be able to help those that do contribute.

You're a good man Chuck Gabriel, it's an honor to have you with us.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Bob Wahr

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2005, 07:13:46 PM »
What about...

The ARX Hole

sry

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2005, 07:15:16 PM »
Let me echo what Mark said, it is a generous man who contributes his knowledge and expertise solely to help others.

Kudos to you Mr. Gabriel.
\|// Set goal. Experiment tirelessly until
|Oo| practice has become expertise.  Loop.
|- | LinkedIn | Dropbox

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2005, 07:18:39 PM »
I went to look at augi into the arx forum... nada, nil, niep, zero is there....

Also, the arxdummies blog by Fernando Malard.... same .... no participants.....

And if we go to the adesk arx, very little traffic and few that are willing to answer over there....

What others places we have for objectARX [apart of the ADN] ? to be a good resource ?

Apologies for the cliche but ... build it and they will come. In other words, make > this place < the resource.

The lisp and vb forums started out empty, look at 'em today, 16000 and 1500 posts respectively, not too shabby at all.

Just continue what you all do so well, pen articles, ask questions, participating in discussions, before you know it, it will be an enviable knowledge base, bar none.

I only ask one thing of all of you who use this, and do so as a fellow user of this great forum Mr. Thomas provides us --

Please use descriptive titles.

:)
|- | LinkedIn | Dropbox

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2005, 07:28:06 PM »
Ok, I say make it public under one condition, that the casual unregistered user CANNOT download files nor see code without first registering and becoming a member of TheSwamp community. Now that I have said that, the reason I feel strongly about this is that:

All code in other publicly viewable threads cannot be readily plagiarized without some serious code modification, i.e. by it's very nature lisp and vba are meant to be utilized from an uncompiled state and most users will not go to the effort to do so, plus any lisp or vb(a) code can be recreated much easier and faster than attempting to change it enough to hide it's origins. For ARX it is completely different, as it by necessity MUST be compiled and while we may be able to obtain a compiled executable for a project that originated here, we will NEVER be privy to the source used to compile that executable, thus would never be able to pursue and action against unscrupulous users. For example, if I am needing help on a specific item and post code for users to review and comment on, as a community, we will know who had access to the code, thus if it turned up elsewhere as a commercial application, we would know exactly where to start. On the flip side if unregistered users are allowed unfettered access to all manner of code, we will have absolutely no way to track who, what or when the code was utilized for other purposes outside the melp the forum is designed to provide.

just my 2p
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2005, 07:40:08 PM »
... as a community, we will know who had access to the code, thus if it turned up elsewhere as a commercial application, we would know exactly where to start.

I appreciate your point of view and concerns Keith, I really do, but I'm sorry, the suggestion that requiring a swamp registration will remedy the problem is plain flawed.

Howdy I'm Ethicless Joe, you can reach me at EthiclessJoe@TempEmailsForFree.com. I just registered at the swamp woo hoo. I gets me all the code I wants. Me and ten friends did that just this week.

'Course, my name isn't Joe, and my email was created merely for the swamp registration, same with me buds. Try and find us. Ha ha.

If you don't want code passed around or used in less than honorable ways there is only one solution:

Do not post it to ANY forum(s).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 08:31:06 PM by MP »
|- | LinkedIn | Dropbox

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2005, 09:15:40 PM »
perhaps, but of course most people would not bother to register ....

As far as your point with the free email account just to register with theswamp, I suppose that might be the case, however I was under the impression that new registrations were not allowed with free email services unless personally approved by Mark ... maybe I am wrong, but I thought that additional level of security was there ...

Keep in mind I am not trying to be an ogre about sharing code, however, in todays society, as you have well pointed out, there are those who would prefer to steal code and republish as their own over making a simple attempt to produce a program that suits their need with the occasional aid from others.

I would probably be very leery about posting large segments of code snippits unless I was sure that I wanted the resulting programming to be fully disseminated world wide. I regret that I must be that way, but when you spend a great deal of your time developing programming for hire, you must be VERY CAREFUL of what is posted and who has access to those postings.

I would like to think that the vast majority of people here are average users simply looking for a better (or easier) way to do a task and that they are also pretty well respectable and upstanding people,  but I also acknowledge that I have nothing to judge that by except with the interaction I have enjoyed with the multitude of talent that exists on this forum. That being said, it is that interaction that allows me to judge whether or not I should or should not post certain things.

Either way, I will support the decision ...

~ carry on ~
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2005, 09:36:24 PM »
Well said Keith. Like I said, I appreciate your concern, I share it too.

But Chuck summed it up best so I'll just let his words stand as a testimonial of the spirit of this place.

~ ~ ~

Every person brings their own gems to this place and you've no small treasure chest yourself, I look forward to anything you can share. Thanks.

- Michael.
|- | LinkedIn | Dropbox

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2005, 09:54:24 PM »
I learn <almost> as much by posting answers as I do from reading the posts of others.

I hope that some of the lurkers out there take that as an invitation to post occasionally.

Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

--> Donate to theSwamp<--

Troy Williams

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2005, 08:56:12 AM »
If I post code to any forums, I assume that I am placing it in the public domain.

The other thing that I noticed about code posted in forums - usually they are very specific to the question being asked. I have very rarely found code that I could use directly. More often then not, I have simply taken the idea that was presented in the solution and rolled my own code. For the cases that I could use the code directly, I rolled my own because I didn't understand what the code was doing, or it wasn't written in a format that I don't like (I am picky on naming conventions and general layout) or it wouldn't fit into the overall structure of the rest of my program.

I don't see any danger in making the forum readonly because most of the solutions posted will most likely be one-liners or small functions. However, there is the case where a member in good standing requires help debugging (in this case an arx program) and they can't do it. So a member would ask them to post the code. Well in this case they may be reluctant because it is proprietary in nature. That could be dealt with using PM and if when a solution is found the person who found the solution could write up a short blurb on what the solution is and post it in the thread. This would give future browsers the solution without compromising proprietary code.

But that is my 2 cents

TR

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2005, 10:22:12 AM »
To repeat what has been said before, If a forum is not viewable to guests how will they know it exists?

TR

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2005, 10:47:47 AM »
I stumbled upon this place by chance. I saw theswamp.org in an email address on pn.cadmanager and decided to check out the url. I saw a VB forum, my interest at the time, and decided to stick around and see what this place had to offer. Chances are I would have seen theswamp as a place only for lispers and moved on had that forum been kept private.

And just because you need to be register to view a forum does not mean you will participate in said forum. Take a look at our member list and sort by number of posts in ascending order. That's right, roughly 385 people with 0 posts. They're just "leeching" away without participating.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2005, 05:32:09 AM »
They're just "leeching" away without participating.

I see it a different way. The "0" posters may not be CAD experts and feel that their questions may seem inane to you. They may not have posted because their question is a very basic CAD question. Yes there may be some out there that are looking without wanting to participate, but there are probably a good many of the "0"s that dont want to seem embarrased about how little they know.

Just my thoughts.

T :-)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.