Author Topic: write-line  (Read 9814 times)

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
write-line
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2004, 12:26:50 AM »
Yes, I am curious too.

Here are some (if) examples

Code: [Select]
(if (this is true)
   (do this)
); endif

(if (this is false)
   (don't do this)
   (do this)
); endif

(if (this is true)
   (progn
        do all of this
        and this
        and this
    )
   (don't do this)
); endif

(if (this is false)
   (don't do this)
   (progn
        do all of this
        and this
        and this
    )
); endif

So you see the progn is a way to group code together.
The (if) stmt will execute the group of code when true and
will execute the second group of code when false,
if there is a second group of code. If you forget the (progn) only the first
line of code will be executed if true and the rest skipped.
There are other ways to group code together and you will learn them in time.

The (cond) stmt on the other hand executes the all of code following
a true condition and then exits the condition stmt.

(cond
  ((= 1 0)
    none of this will get executed
    because the conditions is false
  ) ; end cond 1

((= 1 1)
     do all of this because it is true
     and this
     and this
   ) ; end cond 2

((= 2 2)
     none of this will get
     executed even if it is true
     because the prior stmt was true
   ) ; end cond 3

(T
     This is often placed at the last position
     in a condition statement and will be executed
     if all the prior conditions are false
     if any one of the above conditions are true
      this will not be executed
   ) ; end cond 4
) ; end cond stmt
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

SMadsen

write-line
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2004, 05:33:15 AM »
I followed this thread on and off and feel some comments should be made on the topic of outputting to files.

It's true that OPEN only streams ASCII files. It's also true that WRITE-LINE can only write strings to a file, but it is certainly possible to write any data type. It just depends on the function used to write the data. Let's take a look at them by using an example: WRITE-LINE, PRINC, PRINT and PRIN1.

First make some non-string data, in this case a list:

(setq alst '(1 2 3 4 5))
-> (1 2 3 4 5)

Then create a file:

(setq fn (open "C:\\abc.txt" "w"))
-> #<file "C:\\abc.txt">

Now try the various functions to write the data. To keep track of which function was used, we'll write the functions as a string before writing the data. We'll also use a newline character to see how they each treat control characters.

First WRITE-LINE. As Mark pointed out, it only handles strings so we'll need to convert the list to a string using VL-PRINC-TO-STRING:

(write-line "\nwrite-line:" fn)
-> "\nwrite-line:"

(write-line (vl-princ-to-string alst) fn)
-> "(1 2 3 4 5)"

Then PRINC, PRINT and PRIN1. These functions write any data types - just like they would at the command line:

(princ "\nprinc:" fn)
-> "\nprinc:"
(princ alst fn)
-> (1 2 3 4 5)

(print "\nprint:" fn)
-> "\nprint:"
(print alst fn)
-> (1 2 3 4 5)

(prin1 "\nprin1:" fn)
-> "\nprin1:"
(prin1 alst fn)
-> (1 2 3 4 5)

Now close the file and open it (here just using Notepad):

(close fn)
-> nil
(startapp "notepad.exe" "C:\\abc.txt")
-> 33

The file should look like this (first blank line included):

write-line
(1 2 3 4 5)

princ:(1 2 3 4 5)
"\nprint:"
(1 2 3 4 5) "\nprin1:"(1 2 3 4 5)

WRITE-LINE: Writes its string argument with a trailing newline character. Control characters are output as their ASCII representation; a newline character creates a linefeed, a tab character creates a tabulation etc.
Notice that the automatic newline character is put at the end of the string. The first blank line in the example came from the explicit "\n"-character, but the second blank line was caused by the combination of WRITE-LINE's newline and PRINC' explicit newline character.

PRINC: Works like WRITE-LINE except that it does not create a new line. Also, neither PRINC, PRINT nor PRIN1 are limited to outputting strings.

PRINT: Outputs the literal value of its argument, which means that strings become quoted and control characters are expanded into their control character codes. It also prints a leading newline character and a trailing space. Notice that "\nprint:" was output on a new line and that it has a trailing space (put the cursor at the end of the line to see it).

PRIN1: Works like PRINT, except that it doesn't print a leading newline character and a trailing space. Notice that the space before "\nprin1:" came from the previous PRINT statement and that PRIN1 did not jump to a new line.

SMadsen

write-line
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2004, 06:10:34 AM »
Matt, I think Rude Dog is merely using this as a small tool to freeze and/or thaw some layers. The string is perfectly legal to submit at Thaw, Freeze, On and Off prompts in the layer command.
I also thought that, firstly, it should at least check for duplicate layer names and trailing commas and, secondly, that much more sophisticated methods could be used. But as a small fix it does the job.
Rude Dog, just don't pass it on to anyone :D

Quote from: Rude Dog
... I didnt understand why the "if" statement and the "progn" statement where necessary in this program....I omitted them and it still seems to work fine.

The IF statement that checks for an empty string is needed when the command is invoked but the user simply presses Enter and exits the command without doing anything.
It's not just 'good programming practice' - it prevents the file from being manipulated (and thereby overridden) without a reason to manipulate it.

rude dog

write-line
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2004, 06:44:23 AM »
Matt
just trying to use one continous string(of layer names) to only show the entities I pick for viewing and freezing everything else out. and practice

rude dog

write-line
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2004, 06:50:54 AM »
CAB,SMadsen thanks for your comments it ususallly takes me a day or two to absorb and try to retain practical hints and possibly stir up some questions.....I'm sure there is more complicated ways to do this but I'm sure after the code is written and after using it for a while I'll think of other facets to add....(with help of course :D )

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
write-line
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2004, 08:11:45 AM »
Using what SMadsen has given us we could re-write the program using a list of collected layer names.

(defun c:KLT (/ fo ent lay_name lst)

;; open a file for writing
  (setq fo (open "C:/LAY-INFO.TXT" "w"))

(if
    (findfile "C:/LAY-INFO.TXT"); make sure the file exists, overkill?
    (while
      ;; loop while selection continues
      (setq ent (car (entsel "\nSelect an item <enter to exit>: ")))

;; extact layer name from selected entity
      (setq lay_name (cdr (assoc 8 (entget ent))))

;; show the user which layer they picked
      (prompt lay_name)

;; create a list of layer names
      ;; do not add 'lay_name' to list if it already exists
      ;; in 'lst'
      (if
        (not
          (vl-position lay_name lst); could also use the 'member' function here
          )
        (setq lst (cons lay_name lst))
        ; else
        (prompt " has already been selected...")
        )
      ) ; end of loop
    )

;; now process the list of layer names
  ;; test the length of the list to make sure it's
  ;; greater than 0 (in other words in contains something)
  (if (> (length lst) 0)
    ;; for each item in the list
    (foreach i lst (princ (strcat i ",") fo))
    )

(close fo); close the open file handle
  (princ)
  )
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Matt Stachoni

write-line
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2004, 01:00:00 PM »
Matt
just trying to use one continous string(of layer names) to only show the entities I pick for viewing and freezing everything else out. and practice

Well, yeah, I gathered that much, but are you actually writing the string to a file as a means of saving it for future use? Or are you writing to a file for sheer learning practice?

Generally speaking, if I was to use this in "production code," I would save it as a global variable or write it to the registry if I had to carry it over from one drawing to another. Not to be rude, but using file I/O for this task is kind of a waste of resources.

rude dog

write-line
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2004, 11:06:40 PM »
Matt
I guess what your thinking is why not just leave it in a list and loop the thawing process till the list is empty...huh...this would be good as well...this whole idea was sparked from a newbie challenge and just kinda grew for me from there...and man, I sure did get alot of info I did not previously know.
But this by no means was a waste for me and I hope anyone that gave a hand feels the same.....looking foward to seeing some of your ideas
RD

Matt Stachoni

write-line
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2004, 05:55:46 PM »
Matt
I guess what your thinking is why not just leave it in a list and loop the thawing process till the list is empty...huh...this would be good as well...

Well, I'm thinking that if you want to process the layer list in a drawing, you can create the string (with the "," delimeter) and feed it to the layer command just fine. I do that in my layer utilities myself.

What I would object to is writing the name to a file. File I/O is a lot more expensive from a processing standpoint and doesn't contribute to efficient code in this example.

The only tip I would give right now is, always strive to make your code leaner, cleaner and cool.