Author Topic: Snap From Endpoint  (Read 9627 times)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: Snap From Endpoint
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2006, 06:16:49 PM »
I was making some notes about the software design evolution process and this came to mind ...

just wondered if it's still in use ?

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2006, 01:45:07 AM »
I have had no need to use it in the past 6 months. We have had no contracts recently where cross sections were used :-( but rest assured it WILL be used when we get another big job through the door. It is just too big a time saver to not use.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2006, 02:33:56 AM »
good, thanks Tracey.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Glenn R

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2006, 09:21:10 AM »
Tracey,

We soooo have to talk we I get there. Here, this is done on the MX side with very little effort - your lads are just being lazy.
I would receive a shirtload of dwg files from the mexers that had the correct number of sections per sheet for a prticular title block. Then a program of mine would grab all those and create new dwg files, with each mx x-sect attached as an xref, doing this all in memory, so it literally took seconds for hundreds of x-sect plans.

Beauty of this is that the mexers couls just rerun their outputs, and as long as the dwg files were the same name ( and still had the same of xsects per sheet), the dwg files would just auto-magically update. If the number of cross section sheets changed, just re-run my program...no biggy either way.

I will read this thread in it's entirety tomorrow to get a better understanding, but I think you get my point from above.

Cheers,
Glenn.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2006, 09:35:31 AM »
Tracey,

We soooo have to talk we I get there. Here, this is done on the MX side with very little effort - your lads are just being lazy.
Either lazy, or not enough knowledge. Theres a major shortage of MX people... I wish I could learn to use it, but they wont let me near the program :-( (dispite me asking )
I would receive a shirtload of dwg files from the mexers that had the correct number of sections per sheet for a prticular title block. Then a program of mine would grab all those and create new dwg files, with each mx x-sect attached as an xref, doing this all in memory, so it literally took seconds for hundreds of x-sect plans.

Beauty of this is that the mexers couls just rerun their outputs, and as long as the dwg files were the same name ( and still had the same of xsects per sheet), the dwg files would just auto-magically update. If the number of cross section sheets changed, just re-run my program...no biggy either way.
That sounds great. The main problem here is that the MX bods we have here, all work in different ways, and their way is best, and there seems to be no standards set. In the past it has been a MAJOR pain. When the next big job rolls through the door we are gonna be in deep doo-doo again, with me tidying up at the cad end.
I will read this thread in it's entirety tomorrow to get a better understanding, but I think you get my point from above.

Cheers,
Glenn.
Thanks Glenn. It'd be great if I could tell the MX bods what I want to receive, and not just accept any old rubbish. (but sound like I know what I'm talking about :oops:)

Glenn R

« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2006, 09:54:42 PM »
Tracey,

I spoke with an MXer yesterday, and he said it was just a macro containing input commands. Essentially, he tells it the sheet size and MX figures out how many xsects per sheet and dumps them out to separate dwg files.

Cheers,
Glenn.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2006, 01:45:44 AM »
Thanks Glenn, I'll make a note and talk to them next time I have to work on a job with sections.