Author Topic: Mouse most suited for drafting  (Read 8840 times)

whdjr

Re: Mouse most suited for drafting
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2005, 09:31:14 PM »
I use the Logitech MX1000 Laser Cordless Mouse and I think it is the best I have ever used. (...)
Fully agree, but you've to use the latest driver...

Why do you say that?

I bought mine over 6 months ago and haven't had the first problem with it.

Jürg Menzi

• Swamp Rat
  • Oberegg, Switzerland
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2005, 06:28:37 AM »
Why do you say that?

I bought mine over 6 months ago and haven't had the first problem with it.
I bought mine a year ago and had a lot of problems with it (SetPoint/Driver v2.11c):
- USB connection wasn't working correct (I had to change to PS2) :ugly:
- Wheel was moving the contents of all visible windows :pissed:
- Sometimes the pointer was jumping (without or with touching the mouse) to the top of the screen. :realmad:
- etc.
Is that enough?
Now I use SetPoint/Driver v2.22.124. Since then I hadn't any remarkable problems. :-)

A computer's human touch is its unscrupulousness!
MENZI ENGINEERING GmbH
Current A2k16... A2k24 - Start R2.18

nivuahc

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2005, 06:47:12 AM »
I'm thinking about upgrading my mouse at work.

I currently use a Micro$oft Intellimouse, the infrared one with 4 buttons (not counting the wheel button) and I have the thumb button programmed as ESC and the other one as F8. I have the wheel button set as F3 and couldn't imagine doing CAD with anything less.

I've looked at the nostromo thinger, they have an older model available at Big Lots out here for less than 10 bucks but I'm not convinced that I'll like it. Then again, I wasn't convinced I'd like the 4/5 button mouse either. It took me a while to get used to using a mouse after using a SummaSketch tablet for years (still have 4 or 5 of the tablets sitting here in my garage) so I dunno... it's only 10 bucks. If I don't like it I can always turn it into a borg hand thinger for next years halloween costume  :-P

hyposmurf

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2005, 07:38:36 AM »

Man just look at your mouse it has a mind of its own,tame the beast!

Sdoman

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2005, 06:05:44 PM »
<clip>
I currently use a Micro$oft Intellimouse, the infrared one with 4 buttons (not counting the wheel button) and I have the thumb button programmed as ESC and the other one as F8. I have the wheel button set as F3 and couldn't imagine doing CAD with anything less.
<clip>

I used to have my thumb button setup as ESC back in pre Windows Xp days.  And really loved that setup.  But unfortunately the newer mouse drivers have removed the ESC key from the list of keys which may be mapped to mouse buttons.

So heads up: if you upgrade your mouse, you may loose ESC button.  :cry:

(last time I checked anyway)

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2005, 11:48:53 PM »
I have enjoyed my Intellimouse IR w/cord but when I upgraded the driver from 4.2 to 5.1 the
driver would not allow a quick transfer of wheel zoom to pan. Seems the wheel must completely
stop & a short annoying pause before you are allowed to press the wheel button. I am using
ACAD2k with windows 2K. So i went back to the old driver.

Oh, I use my thumb button for CTRL+R to switch drawings. Works for me. :)
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

Jürg Menzi

• Swamp Rat
  • Oberegg, Switzerland
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2005, 02:35:20 AM »
Man just look at your mouse it has a mind of its own,tame the beast!
That was my old mouse... instead of tame it, I've sink it into the swamp. :-D
A computer's human touch is its unscrupulousness!
MENZI ENGINEERING GmbH
Current A2k16... A2k24 - Start R2.18

CottageCGirl

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2005, 10:31:06 AM »
I use a Contour MOuse
I think there is like three or four different sizes
Made to fit your hand

Works really nice

http://www.contourdesign.com/

This looks awesome, but about 7 years ago I got carpel in my right wrist working in the worst possible ergonomic situation while working for Home Depot, so I just started using my left hand, but since we were on shared computers, I had to use a right handed mouse, So now I mouse w/ left hand on a standard IBM 2 button w/a center roller- carpel tunnel went away, but I now have matching ganglean cysts on both inner wrists--yipeeeee---- :roll:      in short, the learning curve for an ergonomic mouse would be impossible :-(

Dr. After

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2005, 12:12:30 PM »
How's your new mouse behaving Dr. After?Im about to get a new one to and that mouse you suggested  (MX510) looks so dam nice.

I love it.  Best one I have used to date.  Very accurate.  The only complaint I have is some of the button locations.  My fingers tend to get in odd possitions to reach some of the ones I don't normaly use.  No real problem there, just an annoyance for the options I barely use on the thing.

hyposmurf

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2005, 02:42:37 PM »
Whats it like with those new buttons on top, do you accidently hit them?Ive heard nothing but praise for this mouse and I think it looks dam smart to.

Dr. After

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2005, 09:52:04 AM »
Whats it like with those new buttons on top, do you accidently hit them?Ive heard nothing but praise for this mouse and I think it looks dam smart to.

Adjusting to this mouse from any other was not even noticeable.  The only thing I had to get used to was the new location of the thumb buttons.  I haven't hit any accidentally and it really seems to fit rather comfortably.  Like I said, though, if there is a con, it's getting your fingers to all the extra middle buttons.  It's just weird, not uncomfortable or hard.

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2005, 11:01:59 AM »
Hey Doc......
I also was looking @ Logitech mice (1 work/1 home). At the previous employer I had one with 1 button one each side. At the store I can only find the one similiar to yours so....
Are the side buttons seperated enough to be used easily?
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Dr. After

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2005, 11:27:43 AM »
Are the side buttons seperated enough to be used easily?
My thumb falls right in the crack between the two, so they are both easily accessible, but being that the buttons are closer to the top of the mouse then the bottom, you seem to lose some control of motion when using the buttons.  No real big hindrance, but it could be.

Ok...  we are getting way too technical now about a mouse, but this is getting to be an interesting review of mice and such!

Dr. After

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2006, 09:52:22 AM »
At a new job and about to have them order me the same mouse again.  I miss it the most out of anything else from my old job.   :cry:

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2006, 10:34:46 AM »
Did you read the thread about the vertical mouse?

In Swamp Review