Author Topic: Civil 3D - Incredible Shrinking (and Growing) Labels  (Read 14802 times)

LE

Re: Civil 3D - Incredible Shrinking (and Growing) Labels
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005, 03:08:20 PM »
I would email you a full drawing file but without C3D you would get nothing but a bunch of proxy objects and some of the original layout work done in Land Desktop.  I will try to assemble some screen shots with annotations demonstrating what I am talking about and put them in the Lilly Pad later this weekend.

You can just email me... an image screen capture, if you can to:

supportATgeometricad.com

AT = @

Thank you,
Luis

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 03:11:34 PM »
I'll send you a couple dwgs next week Luis,  good luck!!  :-)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

LE

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2005, 03:16:28 PM »

As images please.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2005, 03:18:30 PM »

As images please.

Why not the dwg?
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

LE

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2005, 03:35:57 PM »

As images please.

Why not the dwg?

I just want to compare what info is there.

And if all those custom objects are going to be proxies... I only have vanilla/chocolate Autocad...

Dinosaur

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2005, 03:44:21 PM »
While some of the ideas may have come from caice I don't see any thing in C3D that used to belong to it. IMO, C3D is nothing more than acad with some third party apps thrown in.
That is kind of what I am saying they did to it.  These objects could have a lot more native intelligence if they had taken the route Bentley has with Power Civil.  If they did not want that direction they would have been better served fixing up LDT's shortcomings.  This blend between the two they have come up with is improving but still has stability problems and is a nightmare to manipulate until considerable time has been spent developing styles and templates.  Profiles, alignments  and surfaces update dynamically within individual alignments but not where they intersect.  The manual adjustments are easy to make but equally easy to forget particularly when trying several different solutions in the same spot.
I still really like the product but I am disappointed with how certain features are performing at this stage in product development.  Much of what Civil 3D does it does quite well and I am quite surprised how well piping is performing for me.  The labeling problems I have been describing though are making me seriously want to ask for a Bentley vendor to demo Power Civil.  All they really need to do is provide the capability to lock out the automatic resizing, update the scaling on request and reset to automatic mode, but when I breach the topic in the discussion groups they refuse to acknowledge that it would be a problem.

LE

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2005, 03:59:19 PM »
  All they really need to do is provide the capability to lock out the automatic resizing, update the scaling on request and reset to automatic mode, but when I breach the topic in the discussion groups they refuse to acknowledge that it would be a problem.

Hi Dinosaur,

There must be a way to capture those events and from there do our own control.... to bad I do not have or use that software....  :-( I am in not much help to provide.....

Luis

Dinosaur

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2005, 12:20:51 AM »
I have placed some screen shots HERE.  They take up a bit of Mark's realestate so let me know after you have them and I will clear them out.  Hopefully they will illustrate what I am complaining about.
As I mentioned, this behavior no longer exists when working in pure model space - only within an unlocked floating modelspace viewport if that is any clue to interrupting the offending events.
One thing of note, the objects and their labels are of course dynamically linked.  Although there may be several elements composing the label it is only one entity with an attachment point defined in the style.  The objects themselves are also one entity with several individual parts - kind of like supercharged dynamic blocks -  with their own defined attachment.  The labels can be handled either with or seperately from their object depending on the action being taken.
If you have access to or have seen Revit, Civil 3D is doing very similar things with land data as Revit does with architectural.  The Toolspace interface is also quite similar to Revit.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 12:36:20 AM by Dinosaur »

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2005, 02:59:44 AM »
Ciao Luis,
There is a Civil 3D arx enabler for AutoCAD: http://www.aac-solutions.cz/download.asp?file=2006
Who knows, that may help you lookin' at the dwgs?
Serge

LE

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2005, 10:42:06 AM »
I have placed some screen shots HERE.  They take up a bit of Mark's realestate so let me know after you have them and I will clear them out.  Hopefully they will illustrate what I am complaining about.
As I mentioned, this behavior no longer exists when working in pure model space - only within an unlocked floating modelspace viewport if that is any clue to interrupting the offending events.
One thing of note, the objects and their labels are of course dynamically linked.  Although there may be several elements composing the label it is only one entity with an attachment point defined in the style.  The objects themselves are also one entity with several individual parts - kind of like supercharged dynamic blocks -  with their own defined attachment.  The labels can be handled either with or seperately from their object depending on the action being taken.
If you have access to or have seen Revit, Civil 3D is doing very similar things with land data as Revit does with architectural.  The Toolspace interface is also quite similar to Revit.

I have all the files now, I would look at them today, most of what I want now is to first understand what is going on.... I used REVIT in his early stages, never liked btw.

Now back to bussines, for what I read there must be a way to control that, from outside.

LE

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2005, 11:12:58 AM »
Ciao Luis,
There is a Civil 3D arx enabler for AutoCAD: http://www.aac-solutions.cz/download.asp?file=2006
Who knows, that may help you lookin' at the dwgs?
Serge

Ciao Serge !

I do not want to add anything to my vanilla/chocolate autocad here at home, I would see if I can installed that into one of pc's at my office, if you use that in one drawing coming from C3D, how are the proxies, shown?.... I don't think they can be manipulated.... hmm, maybe if a demo of that app is available.... I check that next week.

LE

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2005, 11:58:39 AM »

Dinosaur

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2005, 12:58:07 PM »
I found this:

Labeling & Paper Space

http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4218573
Yes, the solution they ultimately described is the way I prefer to set up my sheet layouts and viewports - except I need to set both ltscale and psltscale to "1" as I often have to use multiple scales for views within the same drawing.

LE

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2005, 01:14:53 PM »
Can you make a copy of the base on a different place in model space, with those labels and in paper space, just make your floating VP, set up the different scale you want and that would work no? or that is not possible?

Dinosaur

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2005, 08:49:25 PM »
. . .  if you use that in one drawing coming from C3D, how are the proxies, shown?.... I don't think they can be manipulated....
I think the proxy objects will display exactly as they are in the original file only as a block for each object.  The associated labels should be a part of this block as well.  Each object can probably be erased or moved as one unit but that is all except for possibly changing color or linetype.