Author Topic: Who's plotting by entity lineweight's?  (Read 3043 times)

pmvliet

Who's plotting by entity lineweight's?
« on: January 29, 2004, 07:01:31 PM »
I would like to know who is using lineweights and no longer using colortable's to assign weights. How are you achieveing screening? do you use the default monochrome colortable? Are you running into any problems? The linework for your blocks are you setting weight's by-layer or by-entity?

Are you controlling the weight by-layer or are your entities on their own?

Just some random thoughts that Keith's previous comments have prompted me to ask :o)

Pieter

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 09:04:33 PM »
Pieter, I doubt many will be plotting by lineweight as you probably can tell by the previous threads on the matter, but to answer your questions ....

How are you achieveing screening?

We have not had the need for screening, not that it would not come up in the future, we have just never had the need for it.

Do you use the default monochrome colortable?

Yes

Are you running into any problems?

Only when someone sends a drawing specifying a plot by color scheme and we have to setup the lineweights.

The linework for your blocks are you setting weight's by-layer or by-entity?

In short bylayer .... but ...
We have adopted a little bit different approach with blocks. While in most standards, you see blocks all created on layer 0, then inserted on the correct layer, it sometimes can create a problem,  especially if the block was defined with lineweight as bylayer. So ....
We defined ALL entities within blocks on their respective layers. Now when we insert a block, the layer lineweight can apply to the layer itelf, rather than the block. We have not had any serious problems with this scenario to date.

Are you controlling the weight by-layer or are your entities on their own?

Default ByLayer .... occasionally the need arises to assign an entity lineweight, but those are minimal.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

pmvliet

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 04:23:51 PM »
The reason I ask is because you seem to like it and well I value what you have to say. I have also changed my feeling's towards lineweights and see how much better it can be. I am working with a firm that was 100% Microstation just two years ago. Microstation did everything by lineweights and the user's really like it. Now we are probably 85% AutoCad and we have been wavering on how to set things up. We use screening extensively so I modified the standards monochrome.ctb to have screening. So far things are working ok. Our next big task is getting blocks to work with this system. My chore for the weekend is to get a set of electrical symbols created to work with this.

You are saying to create the blocks with the entities on the layer they represent with the properties they need via layering?

I was going to stay with layer 0 and just change the weights as needed.
But there will be many blocks that are going to need more then one layer
and having the weights by-entity will not be a good thing.

When you insert your block that contains more then one layer, do you insert it on layer 0 or another layer?

Thanks Keith!

pieter

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 04:31:54 PM »
Generally it is put on a layer designed for that assembly, for example doors, windows, etc ...
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

pmvliet

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 04:07:54 PM »
Keith,
I want to bug you again about this. In our work we have to distinguish between new and existing. Not sure if you have to deal with this or not.
How would you or how do you deal with this?
Normally new is dark and thick and existing is thin and dark(light)
For example, lights, in a lgihting plan we may have a bunch of existing
lights then a bunch of new lights in the same area.

TIA,
Pieter

Spageddie

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 05:09:45 PM »
8) In our office we distiguish between new and existing using diferent  colours but also having the exisiting on a different dwg and xref'd into the new...and our plot style are set for these colours....

pmvliet

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 12:24:38 PM »
That is one way, but not the way we are setting things up.
Some of our jobs are not large enough to justify different files
for new and existing. It also become a nightmare when you have
new and existing interlaced in a floorplan...

Pieter