Author Topic: R2006 Bugs and Other Oddities  (Read 1284 times)

Wyatt Earp

R2006 Bugs and Other Oddities
« on: October 06, 2005, 11:42:50 AM »
Well CADD Users, Administrators and Managers R2006 is well upon us and from my companies point of view it isn't all that it is cracked up to be. Here is what I have found so far. Note that we are using the SP1.

• The PURGE command no longer removes text styles from the drawings.
  • The PURGE command has not been upgraded to remove all the additional objects that are now commonly resident inside a drawing file - IE: Sheet Sets, Layout Tabs, Page Setups etc.
  • The CUI editor is faulty at best.
    • It does not allow for a user to create a new menu with the emphasis on the fact that one will likely need to change something along the way.
    • The GUI of this editor is poorly laid out with now clear idea of the path of the files one is working on.
    • There isn't a very effective method of copying, moving or deleting entries. Right clicking seems to be dependant on the area that you are currently inside.
    • One can not change the ELEMENT ID's of Toolbars, Buttons or Menu POPs. This can be important to those of us that use the MENUCMD command to reference, change or pull out specific items from the standard or customized menu system.
    • ICON attachment is strange. The results are buggy at best.
    • There is no direct SAVE function or SAVEAS function inside the editor. Yes, there are ways of doing this but it isn't very easy.
      The most successful method of menu customization must still be made through at least partial use of the NOTEPAD. Granted this isn't advised but if one is very careful it can be done very effectively.

• The ENTERPRISE menu structure isn't all that it could be. While running it can't be edited but issue the OPTIONS dialogue and click the FILES tab and you can take it out. Should you do that it then becomes fully editable.
  • The SHEETSET command isn't very clear for those of us making the transition from R2004. The examples tend to be vague at best and the results don't correspond.
  • The TOOLPALETTE is still not part of the CUI file.
  • The INSERT command shows no reference to how something may be inserted if the INSUNITS variable is activated and the values do not correspond. This is very frustrating. When making standard blocks for a library it is important to keep these things UNITLESS.   
  • TOOLBAR placement properties have not been clearly thought through if one wishes to place the TOOLBARS via VBA. This type of command properties function works in all other VBA programs like EXCEL or WORD but not in ACAD. Granted this isn't likely very important to most people out there but if we can use VBA to establish direction etc. we should be able to use it to its fullest.
  • [/li]

This may be a growing list but for now this is all that I have found. I have also determined work arounds for all of these issues for the most part so none of them are current problems - just annoyances. I would request that others out there send me any problems that you have found so that I don't have to find them on my own. Perhaps if you haven't developed a work around we could come up with something together.

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
Re: R2006 Bugs and Other Oddities
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 12:39:06 PM »
also..

Before..when trying to cutomise a toolbar...
we have to right-click on it and than go to customise and the dialog appear..
after that...only we need to do is to select any button with the left clic and the
dialog bos change to get the button info...

but in 2006

!!??
Keep smile...

deegeecees

Re: R2006 Bugs and Other Oddities
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 01:15:23 PM »
Yeah, I WAS using 2006. Kinda made me wish for Microstation. NOT!  :-P The new CUI menus are XML driven, so they were probably just post-beta when the release came out. My best guess is that Autodesk is bulding up to some kind of web based menu system. When I was using 2006, I tried making my own CUI, then I was relieved to find out that they still supported mnu's. So, I just stuck with that. Navigation was a bit cumbersome, but I managed to fuddle my way through it. But its all behind me now, and the best I can hope for is AutoCAD 2007.

From upFront.eZine:
Broad hints indicate that AutoCAD 2007 will sport a new rendering engine.  With Microsoft adding PDFout to Office, maybe there'll even be a PDFout command added. AutoCAD 2008 might include a new programming interface and a new look to its user interface, thanks to Vista.