Author Topic: Block management  (Read 19684 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: Block management
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2005, 01:19:14 PM »
I have come to learn that by standardizing and doing things in a specific format EVERY TIME, and following strict guidlines when doing it, in the long run I can out produce those guys who just throw some crap together....

I spend about an hour or two a day actually drawing, the other 6 or so is spent browsing the internet, tweaking my computer, reading a book, or some other non work related activity ... but I can produce as much if not more than those who spend 8 hours a day drawing the same thing ... There is something wrong with this picture ... and it isn't me ..
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2005, 11:01:15 PM »
that why stadardisation is important.

No matter how poeple insert block....
the final result must be the same.

That why in 2002..I have created in our office a insertion block module.
this module is completely "cutomisable" by drafter and can share
block path with other workmates.

Also, this module allow user to insert block without thinking !! :police:
I mean without searching where the block is..

It auto-calculate the insertion scale, Paper mode, Model mode, or in any MVIEW in any scale
It also allow user to classify any block depending the department, client and categorie.
It create a standard insertion file who is shared with others.
It diplay a tumbnail of the block. (this was added only in AutoCAD 2006...about time).

So, now after showing how my module work....lot of deparment work with it.
and in the same act....stopped to have different insertion block in same project....and waste time to re-adjust some drawings..

This module was created to work for our office....
I need to make some modification before sharing this with you guys...(and girls).

So let me know of some of you are interested.

seya ! :roll:
Keep smile...

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2005, 11:22:35 PM »
Andrea,
 I for one am very interested, especially the “not thinking” part.   :-D At many places in Phoenix, I’ve seen offices that have their own block insertion mnu’s, but only “Blockman” is as simple as browsing to folder, has thumbnails, (without slides) and is easy to customize. If CAD can preview why can’t I?
It would be great to see your work and I’m glad there are people like yourself sharing your work.
Let us know when you ready
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2005, 11:42:21 PM »
It will be a peasure to share my module...
I let you know when it will be available...

also i will put this on my new web site...(in construction)

seya !
Keep smile...

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2005, 05:13:28 AM »
The more I look at previous drawings the more I feel like :-o.Standard symbols I click arent blocks, lines havent been drawn with ORTHO/OSNAPS and drawings that havent been purged.Seem to open previous drawings and spend quite a bit of time correcting the previous drawing before I carry out the work given to me.I dont want to hand over an incorrectly done drawing just because the previous drafter made mistakes,even if I look Im taking more time than I should.It seems however that its more important to get the owrk out the door than worry about following any CAD conention/standard.Im beginning to wonder whether Im wasting my time crewating a block library. :roll:
You will not be wasting your time creating a block library(even if only a couple of you use it). It was/is something high on my priority list (when I can do my management time) When I first started working here there were no standards and no blocks to speak of. To start with the block library at my company was just a few blocks stored all over the network, I created a folder in an easily found place on the server and then moved them so they were all filed in one place, no fancy block manager or anything, people knew where to look for a block, if it wasn't there, then when the drawing was created, it was saved there. Then as the standards were implemented, I created a secure area where only myself and 1 or 2 others have access to. As blocks are created, I check them, purge and audit and clean them up. Genarally make them suitable for our use, then I file them in the secure area so no-one can change them (until they're inserted on their drawings). Now the first place people look is the secure area, the second, the "unapproved blocks" area. Our block library is slowly growing, but at least it is growing.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2005, 11:50:35 AM »
if you need to modify also existing blocks...

You can make a BATCH SCRIPT running to readjust layer, size, color zoom etc....of each block
and SAVE at the end of each.

this must save a lot of time..
Keep smile...

hyposmurf

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2005, 03:00:59 PM »
If only I had a script that would do all that for me :-)

CottageCGirl

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2005, 03:50:32 PM »
I use layertranslate to make old blocks conform to the new standard (done it so much- I can run it blindfolded now)  That helps if you have many (or often)

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2005, 11:23:57 PM »
Andrea,
 I for one am very interested, especially the “not thinking” part.   :-D At many places in Phoenix, I’ve seen offices that have their own block insertion mnu’s, but only “Blockman” is as simple as browsing to folder, has thumbnails, (without slides) and is easy to customize. If CAD can preview why can’t I?
It would be great to see your work and I’m glad there are people like yourself sharing your work.
Let us know when you ready

Ok....time is come to share my program...

Hho is interested ??

How can I put my program here ?
Keep smile...

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2005, 10:31:42 PM »
OK??? I'm ready!!
(Just wanted to get this post back on top  :-D)
Is it allowed to post programs on "The Swamp?"
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2005, 12:05:01 AM »
Keep smile...

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2005, 06:59:01 AM »

Ok....time is come to share my program...

Hho is interested ??

How can I put my program here ?

[ http://www.theswamp.org/lilly_pond/ ]

place it in you directory.

If it's not to big attach it to your post here. See "Additional Options" below the edit window.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2005, 08:00:28 AM »
sorry...the file is more than 4096k

Keep smile...

whdjr

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2005, 10:46:02 PM »

[ http://www.theswamp.org/lilly_pond/ ]

place it in you directory.

If it's not to big attach it to your post here. See "Additional Options" below the edit window.

Mark,  How are we supposed to know the Lilly Pond still exists?  I haven't been able to find it (cause I didn't realize it had a _ in it) anywhere listed as an option.  Have I just missed it or is your plan to use the link in each post?  I think the link in the post is a great idea.  I just mentioned it because I remembered I couldn't find after I saw you guys talking about it. :-)

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2005, 08:45:50 PM »
Thanks,

Ther it is..
the program name is....SBLOCK
nominated "Tool of the week" from CADDEPOT.

http://www.theswamp.org/lilly_pond/andrea/SBLOCK10e.zip
Keep smile...