Author Topic: Dynamic Door Block  (Read 1611 times)

whdjr

Dynamic Door Block
« on: August 18, 2005, 11:18:01 AM »
Okay all you 2006 folks,

Here's a dynamic door block for ya.  I'm having problems with the flipping of the door after I change the width of the door.  My stretch action doesn't seem to pick up my flip parameter.  See if you guys can help me out with this one.

Thanks,

Dynamic Door Block

ELOQUINTET

Dynamic Door Block
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 12:58:33 PM »
will i looked at it and it seems ok in the editor. i usually make the mistake of adding the flip then adding more parameters after. by the way a button that would add all objects to the flip parameter would be sweet. it would be nice to be able to see how it behaves upon insertion. give the block a name and put it in a drawing so i can see it in action.

Crank

• Water Moccasin
Dynamic Door Block
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 02:12:38 PM »
There are several things that you can improve for this block:
  • The alignment block isn't realy nessecary: You can also just use the insertionpoint. But if you want to keep it:
  • The alignment grip must also flip horizontal
  • The alignment grip has to stay in the middle if you do a vertical flip
  • The Flip Grips have to stay in the middle (stretch the grips with distance multiplier of 0.5)
  • [/list:u]
    I'm not sure what's the most efficient way to change the size of the door.
    You're stretching 3 doors of wich only 1 is visible. A different approach would be 1 streched door with a 'rotate action'.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

whdjr

Dynamic Door Block
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 02:51:49 PM »
Quote from: ELOQUINTET
will i looked at it and it seems ok in the editor. i usually make the mistake of adding the flip then adding more parameters after. by the way a button that would add all objects to the flip parameter would be sweet. it would be nice to be able to see how it behaves upon insertion. give the block a name and put it in a drawing so i can see it in action.

E,

What I sent you is the block.  Just insert it into any file and you will get all the change options.  If you want to add items to a flip parameter in the editor just double click the flip action and it will prompt you for a new selection set.

Very cool these D blocks are!

whdjr

Dynamic Door Block
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 03:00:41 PM »
Quote from: Crank
There are several things that you can improve for this block:
  • The alignment block isn't realy nessecary: You can also just use the insertionpoint. But if you want to keep it:
  • The alignment grip must also flip horizontal
  • The alignment grip has to stay in the middle if you do a vertical flip
  • The Flip Grips have to stay in the middle (stretch the grips with distance multiplier of 0.5)
  • [/list:u]
    I'm not sure what's the most efficient way to change the size of the door.
    You're stretching 3 doors of wich only 1 is visible. A different approach would be 1 streched door with a 'rotate action'.

Crank,
I agree the alignment point is probly not a good idea so that removes 3 of your comments.  So #4 - I thought I had done that, could you elaborate more please.

ELOQUINTET

Dynamic Door Block
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »
will seems to work fine for me but then again im looking while munching my lunch

whdjr

Dynamic Door Block
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 03:36:29 PM »
If you strech the door size that's when the flips start to get out of whack.

Crank

• Water Moccasin
Dynamic Door Block
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 04:10:14 AM »
Looked again at it, and and found some other points:
  • The parameters to flip are only visible when the door is open at 90 degrees. If you define the visibility states last then this doesn't have to happen any more.
  • The parameter MoveSwing doesn't do anything because you're allways moving with a distance of 0. If you want to move that grip you must use the  parameter 'Door Size', just as you did for 'MoveHinge'.
  • When the width of the door changes, your 'Flip Grips' move with half the distance of the original 'Door Size', but you need the new 'Door Size'. Don't ask me why, but I've only used a stretch parameter for such operations. Never had any problems with that. I've to study the MOVE possibilities myself to find out why this doesn't work.[/list:u]
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection