Author Topic: PET HATES...  (Read 19022 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
PET HATES...
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2004, 08:42:27 AM »

what is wrong with plot by colour.

Well, I suppose in the big picture there is not really anything inherently "wrong" with plotting by color, BUT consider this...
After staring at a computer screen for 10 hours a day, some colors simply make my eyes hurt, but this in itself is not a good reason, however, considering that you can set a lineweight to the layer, so as long as you are drawing in the correct layer everything works fine. Also, as a rule caddies are visually cued by the color of objects, thereby allowing the user to know with a simple glance what layer or type of object something is. It has also been my experience that some plotters (specifically HP) do not plot ACI colors greater than 12 correctly when using CTB, while other plotters will plot fine. The lineweight is changed by the plotters for some inexplicable reason.
You will also note that when you are sent a drawing by someone else, if they use a CTB for plotting, they almost NEVER send you the CTB file, and you are left to fend for yourself, on the otherhand, the lineweight solution resolves that because lineweight is stored in the drawing, not a seperate file.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Martin-Y

PET HATES...
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2004, 12:01:05 PM »
Keith

Excuse me for sounding thick but I am old school from the drawing board and tee square, only on CAD for 10 years mostly self taught and agree with nearly all the pet hates. Are you saying that all items in the drawing are say one colour (and assuming non coloured plots), lineweights are assigned to layers and plot style is set to none.

daron

PET HATES...
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2004, 12:06:38 PM »
No, plot styles are set to a ctb file that reads the color of each object and applies lineweights based on them. STB files read the layer's or object's given lineweights and use that thickness. There is still a file in either case.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
PET HATES...
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2004, 01:42:22 PM »
Thanks Daron ...
However, my contention is that when using lineweight, the lineweight value of the entity is stored in the drawing entity itself, not in a seperate file. Of course you would have to have a corresponding STB file, but one would presume (maybe that is where my problems come in) that the STB file would be set to use the "default" lineweight, which is as defined in the drawing. As long as the lineweight is not overridden in the STB file, the intent of the person creating the drawing will be maintained, without having to forward an STB file with the project.
I am a firm believer in drawing the object to make it correct in any environment, not changing the environment to make the drawing correct. In my mind it would be akin to the cart pulling the horse.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
PET HATES...
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2004, 11:38:00 AM »
I know this site is from turbodork but here is 4 pages of "PET HATES"....

http://www.cadalog.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=15919&highlight=crimes

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

daron

PET HATES...
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2004, 12:22:49 PM »
Yeah, I was wondering how many times we'd rehash the same topic?

Kate M

PET HATES...
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2004, 09:52:47 AM »
104. People who don't understand that making a good-looking drawing and making a good drawing are not the same thing.

Sorry for resurrecting this, but I'll be spending at least part of the day cleaning up drawings one of our engineers did...they look *okay* plotted, but editing is another story...

daron

PET HATES...
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2004, 09:58:20 AM »
I know what you mean. I too am off to edit.

ELOQUINTET

PET HATES...
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2004, 01:26:17 PM »
closed minded people in general who aren't open to communicating and finding the most efficient way of doing things for everyone. people who are not open to progression and will continue to do things the same way they did in 1980 when they first learned autocad. example: i just showed one of the draftsmen here that you can now double click edit because it was driving me nuts to see him going up to the pulldowns and through all the subfolders to edit an attribute. he is still doing it that way, go figure. :roll:

Dent Cermak

PET HATES...
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2004, 01:32:19 PM »
"Old habits die hard".

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
PET HATES...
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2004, 01:43:31 PM »
I like dblclickedit

Millwork Maker

PET HATES...
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2004, 01:49:05 PM »
105) Architects who send me blank drawings because they don't have the smarts to send any attached xrefs.

daron

PET HATES...
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2004, 02:02:04 PM »
Love that one. Have we mentioned, not using e-transmit yet?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
PET HATES...
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2004, 02:20:49 PM »
I think so Daron ...

daron

PET HATES...
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2004, 02:43:44 PM »
Yeah. How about, drawings that either aren't drawn near 0,0 or have an insbase point set near the drawing? I'm not talking land development. You land people are excluded from that topic. Long drawn out discussion, previously.