Author Topic: CAD Test  (Read 11911 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
CAD Test
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2005, 04:00:34 PM »
only if those options are enabled on your installation. I don't have that menu enabled on my system (and I doubt everyone does) ... and what if the midpoint osnap is not turned on? then it becomes [command] [.x] (pick mid snap) (pick line) [.yz] (pick mid snap) (pick line) and you are there ...

Of course if you have the mid2p macro, you simply select the 2 points nad AutoCAD calculates the midpoint for you. Here again, it is a cusomization, not standardization.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

deegeecees

CAD Test
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2005, 04:07:26 PM »
Okay, listen up! All you substandard CAD personnel report to board drawing 101, and put a little hustle in there. The rest of you follow me...

...are they gone yet? Whew!

Without over-thinking, and bludgeoning this simple test to death, assuming that we are on AutoCAD 11 DOS, YES I SAID DOS, get over it, here is the simple and so perfect solution:

Command: Line (or whatever)
Select point: .x
of: mid (aaaaand pick #1)
Need .XY: mid (aaaaand pick #2)

There now. Wasn't that painless.

daron

CAD Test
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2005, 04:22:36 PM »
DGC, Just about what I was saying and Keith, I'm not sure what option you're referring to, with your example, I assume it was middle click, then shift middle click and get midpoint. There's no difference, and no points have been picked. Previous to release 2000, I made extensive use of tracking and point filters. 2000 just makes them less troublesome for those who use them. As far as turning them on? If you know how to use them, you most likely know how to turn them on. I was taking the basic, non-customized installation to mind.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
CAD Test
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2005, 04:41:45 PM »
Quote from: daron
.....  and voila, center point in two picks.

Have you tried that if the rectangle base is not oriented to X 0.00 < without changing the UCS >

Regards
Kerry
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

deegeecees

CAD Test
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2005, 04:57:50 PM »
This thread is on the verge of being moved to "Tips-n-Tricks", and I'm gonna help:

UCS Trick for quick mirror of entities located on a +Y and +X to -Y and -X (relatively):

Command: ucs
Current ucs name:  *WORLD*
Enter an option [New/Move/orthoGraphic/Prev/Restore/Save/Del/Apply/?/World]
<World>: z
Specify rotation angle about Z axis <90>: 45
Command: mi
MIRROR
Select objects: Specify opposite corner: 2 found
Select objects:
Specify first point of mirror line: Specify second point of mirror line:  
<Ortho on>
Delete source objects? [Yes/No] <N>: n
Command: ucs
Current ucs name:  *NO NAME*
Enter an option [New/Move/orthoGraphic/Prev/Restore/Save/Del/Apply/?/World]
<World>: w

Okay, lets start the mayhem...

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
CAD Test
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2005, 04:59:54 PM »
Daron, the option I was referring to is the middle click pop menu, for as long as I can remember, every job I have ever worked at has had the osnap pop menu turned off (not that I couldn't turn it on if I wanted to) so it would take me longer to turn that option on (and a whole lot more clicks) than just 2.

IMHO, if you have the station set up and require a person to complete a task in the least number of clicks, it should make no difference if you count clicks in the drawing or clicks on a menu or toolbar. Two clicks is still two clicks ... to me two clicks is whenever you press any combination of mouse buttons twice ... period ...

If you have to turn on polar tracking, osnaps or select a menu item, to me that constitutes a click ... and since I know of no company that maintains a setup where AutoCAD is vanilla out of the box, the test would be flawed from the word go unless you allow the user to familiarize themselves with the current setup.

Think about it, how awkward would it be, given your current knowledge and level of cusomization, to sit down in an "out of the box" environment and be productive. I'll bet that not one person here would be.

A better test would be to give a person a general knowledge test of AutoCAD, then a skills test. Draw this object, but do not modify the current profile or system settings. That is where you would seperate the drafties from the puck pushers.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

deegeecees

CAD Test
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2005, 05:05:27 PM »
Quote from: Keith

IMHO, if you have the station set up and require a person to complete a task in the least number of clicks, it should make no difference if you count clicks in the drawing or clicks on a menu or toolbar. Two clicks is still two clicks ... to me two clicks is whenever you press any combination of mouse buttons twice ... period ...  

That was "PICKS" not "CLICKS", as in screen picks, c'mon guys yer beatin this to death...

...now I gotta make up a new one... :shock:

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
CAD Test
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2005, 05:28:24 PM »
Does anyone have a spare copy of R11 and a spare computer with DOS installed so I can pass this test ... Geeeze ...

oh, wait, ..
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

nivuahc

CAD Test
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2005, 06:48:09 PM »
The test I used to give was to talk with the potential drafter for about 15 minutes, just general conversation about CAD, then hand them a simple sketch, sit them down at a vanilla R14 station and tell them I'd be back in 15 minutes.

When I came back, usually only 5% of the people would actually be "done" (their words). Then I would send them on to my supervisor to have an additional chat.

I'd sit at the station and look at the drawing. I'd look at the intersection of lines, I'd look to see if the person used the most basic tools like ortho and snap. I'd check out how they created their layers and whether they used "bylayer" or not in their drawing. I'd check to see if they corrected the intentional spelling errors on the sketch.

This was my goal: See if they used the basic 'good practice' methods that makes life easier on everyone like snap and ortho. See if they struggled to make sense of what the drawing was, or if they would just draw what was on the paper. See if they had the ability to think for themselves.

Because, the way I see it, every company has their own way of doing things. As long as the person trying to get hired has a general working knowledge of AutoCAD and has the ability to think for themselves when it was obvious, I could teach them anything else they needed to know. In fact, in those instances, it's sometimes easier to take some young punk fresh out of school, who has a decent amount of drafting ability, and train them to do things our way than it was to take a veteran who sometimes refused to do it any other way than how they'd been doing it for years someplace else.

I don't care if you spend your evening reading the help manual and you know about all those special commands that might shave a half second off of your time (I actually had a guy who did that)... I care about your ability to think for yourself and your ability to draw.

Funny story: I had one guy I gave the test to, had to be the worst dressed, most unkempt person I'd ever interviewed. I gave him the test as a courtesy, really, because I really had no intention of hiring him. After his 15 minutes were up I came back he only had about 25% of the drawing done. This surprised me because he seemd so 'on top' of AutoCAD in our previous discussion. He saw the look on my face and said "Hey, sorry I didn't finish it all. The mouse was broken so I had to do it all with the keyboard." :shock:

I checked. The mouse really was broken.

The guy had a notebook and a pencil and was keeping track of his coordinates. He did that 25% of the drawing using only the keyboard and polar coordinates.

I went to my supervisor and he asked me how his test went. All I told him was

"Hire this guy."

"Seriously."

That guy turned out to be the most dedicated drafter I've ever had the privelege of working with. The guy worked more overtime than anyone I've ever known. He was so freakin' talented that my company ended up sending him out on contract to one of the local oil refineries. He replaced their 5 man drafting department by himself.

PDJ

CAD Test
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2005, 07:09:09 PM »
deegeecees... My concern isn't really in "picks" but, I guess you could call it movements of your fingers...  If you have to type in .x to start your filter command and other things in that command, they should each count as pics.  The whole thing about speed is doing it the most efficient way possible.  I know when I'm cranking thru a drawing, sometimes I'm thinking 3 or 4 commands ahead and how I'm going to get there.  Stopping and thinking about things like filters slows me down considerably.  Using a standard autocad setup slows me down quite a bit too.. I'm a keyboard user with quick keys.  I also have a Nostromo and a second numeric keypad for use on my left hand.  Why take your right hand off the mouse to type in numbers??

Your filters make beat me on a command or two but, I'll make up for it in other ways.

I think if I were giving a test, I'd allow the testee to bring in a CD with his own custom routines in it so that he'll feel comfortable and I'm actually testing how he works on a day to day basis, not on a vanilla machine.  That's like taking 10 people, putting them all in a Ford Pinto and having them drive around a track.  The fastest one will be your next Nascar driver..

dubb

• Swamp Rat
CAD Test
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2005, 07:33:02 PM »
yeah..im a keyboard type of guy too...i type like i work in a court house.

hudster

• Gator
CAD Test
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2005, 04:34:23 AM »
Mark, I've sent you a PM with the answers attached.

I'll leave it a while before I post them here.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
CAD Test
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2005, 05:31:00 AM »
Quote from: Hudster
Mark, I've sent you a PM with the answers attached.

I'll leave it a while before I post them here.

Thank ya very much.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

deegeecees

CAD Test
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2005, 09:38:08 AM »
I have no doubt that everyone here would pass the "Two 'SCREEN PICKS' Test", and I know that there are several ways to achieve what is required. This is just a test that I used to "weed" out the newbies from the more experienced users without taking up alot of time. Its all about efficiency. Any one of the methods mentioned would get your foot in the door, but if you started drawing a line from one point to another point, and then grabbed the mid of that line, you did not follow the instructions given to you, therefore you failed the test and were directed towards the door. Period. End of discussion. Okay this is a discussion forum so go ahead and continue to discuss amongst yerselves.

deegeecees

CAD Test
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2005, 09:39:39 AM »
I just noticed, I'm finally a "BullFrog"! Life IS good.