Author Topic: CAD Test  (Read 11867 times)

M-dub

CAD Test
« on: July 28, 2005, 09:51:08 AM »
Hello All,
   As you may remember our PEBCAK left a couple of weeks ago.  We're getting ready to review some resume's of local contractors to bring someone else in, but this time, they're taking my advice and they're going to do some type of a CAD test.
   I've seen a few in a Google Search but the position to be filled is outside my realm of expertise and I'm not sure of what questions should be asked.
   Now, the last guy had some pretty major issues with all aspects of using a computer to do his job.  He needed VAST improvments in Windows (how to create a folder, the difference between Move, Copy, Delete, etc.), how to use Office programs such as Word and Excel, and most importantly, AutoCAD!
   Should this test cover our specific site and how we do things or should it be a little more generic?  I mean, this contractor is likely going to be used to dealing with a number of clients and their standards, so I would say that standards could be left out of it for the most part.  We just want to make sure that the rudimentary skills are there.  The standards will come in time and I couldn't expect anyone to know our standards before they even start here.  Should this test require them to draw something in AutoCAD to see if they've done it 'right'?  By 'right', I mean, there could be a number of ways to get the job done just as long as they don't exhibit poor drafting practices.  Should there be some kind of small test to make sure they can do simple functions in Excel?  I don't know...I just want to try harder to make sure that we don't get another lemon.
   Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)
                  Thanks a lot,
                                    Mike

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
CAD Test
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 10:04:31 AM »
Have them create a folder to hold their drawing files.  Have them re-create a drawing.  Have them log their time in an Excel file.  Have them .zip their drawing and timesheet and place that zip file into an archive folder.  For starters...

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
CAD Test
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 10:08:30 AM »
http://www.xlquest.com/  is a good cad test.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

M-dub

CAD Test
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 10:44:37 AM »
Quote from: Dommy2Hotty
Have them create a folder to hold their drawing files.  Have them re-create a drawing.  Have them log their time in an Excel file.  Have them .zip their drawing and timesheet and place that zip file into an archive folder.  For starters...

Good ideas

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
CAD Test
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 08:21:09 AM »
Have them take an existing DWG and export the attributes to an excel file ... That ought to take them some time to figure out :)
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Big G

• Bull Frog
CAD Test
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 06:39:34 AM »
just hit them with a drawing from a client that needs revised, and throw them a set of your drawing standards...that'll sort the wheat from the chaff
I thought i seen the light at the end of the tunnel. But it was just someone with a torch bringing me more work.
"You have to accept that somedays youre the pigeon and  somedays youre the statue"

hudster

• Gator
CAD Test
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 07:10:06 AM »
I created a test which asks a few questions and then has them create a few drawings so I can judge how good/quick they are.

I tell them they can use the AutoCAD help guide or if they are stuck to ask me, I'd rather someone asked for help than try to work it out and get it wrong.
It amases me how many people just skip things they don't know, even though they know they can ask for help, those people don't get called back.

Here are the questions

Code: [Select]
Question 1.
When you insert an xref to a drawing you are given two options for the reference type, explain the difference between the attach and overlay options?

Question 2.
What is the difference in the Color setting “Bylayer” and “Byblock” when used in a block?

Question 3.
What command would you use to separate out all lines 100mm long with the colour yellow in an AutoCAD drawing?

Question 4.
What express tools command would you use to Globally change the attributes in a selected block? (if you have no experience of express tools skip this question).

Question 5.
Using the UCS options how would you rotate a drawing without using the rotate command?

Question 6.
What is the command used to scale a viewport in paperspace to 1:200?

Question 7.
How would you rotate a drawing in a Viewport, leaving the model space drawing unrotated?

Question 8.
How would you create a fraction e.g. ½ in AutoCAD mtext?

Question 9.
What is the special property of the “Defpoints layer”?

Question 10.
What does the “XCLIP” command do?

Question 11.
What does the snapbase variable do?

Question 12
What command is used to explode a block containing attribute information, to ensure that the information is not lost?

Question 13.
How would you globally change the width of all polylines in a drawing to the same width?
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

daron

CAD Test
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 08:43:06 AM »
Don't forget to ask what Osnaps are good for and snap and what the difference between the two are?

M-dub

CAD Test
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 09:55:42 AM »
Thanks folks!  I'm going to be working on this probably starting this week, so if you've got more suggestions, post away!  :)

Thanks again!

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
CAD Test
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 11:13:02 AM »
Quote from: Hudster
Here are the questions . . .

Hudster do you have the answers to those? Something already in say .doc or .txt format.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

t-bear

CAD Test
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 11:51:51 AM »
Mark....that'd be cheating.  You answer the questions and we'll grade you!!  How's THAT sound?

hudster

• Gator
CAD Test
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 12:27:45 PM »
Some questions have more than one answer, but I designed it that way to see how far the candidates knowledge goes.

I'll look out the answers and post them, but in the meantime if you want to have a go feel free.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
CAD Test
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 12:32:24 PM »
Thanks Hudster but could you PM me the answers? (when you get a chance) I have an idea. :)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
CAD Test
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 12:34:40 PM »
Quote from: t-bear
Mark....that'd be cheating.  You answer the questions and we'll grade you!!  How's THAT sound?

But what if I failed!! Oh the shame. no way, not me, nope ain't gonna happen.
:)

PDJ

CAD Test
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 12:40:39 PM »
Have them dimension a small drawing to see how they think.  

I actually took a test for one company that was scheduled for like 4 hours.  5 of us started and finished the guessing part.  Then we had the actual drawing part.  One left before that started, another went down in flames during the test.  Some neat things like drawing a star and making it so the pieces are 1" long.. (That's kinda wierd to explain but, suffice it to say that there aren't any lines in the middle of the star crossing like you'd draw one on paper.)  Then there was a 2D coil to draw that had 1/2" thickness.  I guess it was more of a spiral cause it ended in the middle nice and tight.. All of the coils touched each other.. Know what I mean??

Then we had the old school drawings where you have an orthographic projection and you have to draw enough views to show the part.  I.E. Top, front, side..  I looked over at some young lady and she was re-drawing the projection view... I whispered to her that it wasn't what they wanted and she grabbed her head and shook it and kinda left in a hurry.. She was scary..

I was finally interviewed 2 weeks later and offered a job about 3 weeks after that.  AFTER I was already gainfully employed by another company.  It was a shame they took so long, woulda been neat gettin back into 3D.. They did have one rule that kinda bugged me though.. They all wore ties!!