Author Topic: Edit solid models  (Read 22500 times)

cad-waulader

Edit solid models
« on: July 26, 2005, 02:28:45 PM »
Anybody know efficient ways to:
*select a set of features, and translate them.
*select a set of edges and chamfer or fillet them.  
*scale a model along one or two axes only.
Currently, know how to extrude faces just fine, also slice, section & boolean.  Appreciate input.

daron

Edit solid models
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 04:55:19 PM »
Not in ACAD, that I know. VIZ/MAX could do that.

ChrisSolid

Edit solid models
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 05:09:57 PM »
Sounds like you'd probably want to be using Inventor, or some other more serious solid model cad program. AutoCAD's come a long way, solids-wise, but I believe it is hamstrung by old underlying architecture that, for one thing, couldn't count on or make use of the kind of powerful video cards in use today.

cad-waulader

Edit solid models
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 06:42:35 PM »
Thanks- Y'all would know the tricks, if any were to be had.  I'm digging in my heels here in the office trying to forestall learning ProE as long as possible.  <ominous deep breathing: Choose the dark side, Luke!> Well, here goes.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Edit solid models
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 03:35:14 AM »
Quote from: cad-waulader
Thanks- Y'all would know the tricks, if any were to be had.  I'm digging in my heels here in the office trying to forestall learning ProE as long as possible.  <ominous deep breathing: Choose the dark side, Luke!> Well, here goes.

Don't fear the dark side! Hubby uses Pro-E on a daily basis (and has for the last 5 or so years). I've had a play with the student version he was given, and it looks phenomenal. We had a race one day to produce a model I was using at college to teach people solids. It took me 3 times longer than him, and he could edit the part after it was created many many times quicker. In the UK Pro-E pays much better than ACAD too!
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

CADaver

Edit solid models
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 06:15:44 PM »
Before you bail on plian ol' AutoCAD, look into the SOLIDEDIT command.  Example: SOLIDEDIT>FACE>MOVE will move a 3dsolid face normal to it's plane.

Also the FILLET and CHAMFER commands work just fine on most 3dsolids.  When using explore "LOOP".

cad-waulader

Edit solid models
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 01:26:36 PM »
good info, CADaver...have since used chamfer, fillet, solidedit to good effect.  Don't aim to bail, though, on old chum ACAD.  better to add progs to your toolbox & then pick the best one for the task at hand.

t-bear

Edit solid models
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 01:53:53 PM »
cad-waulader
.....been usin vanilla CAD for 3D for a looooong time now, and it does "almost" everything I want it to......maybe some day they'll get around to lettin us do lofts in here.....that'd be nice!  As for editing solids, it ain't all that hard...or slow!...once you understand the principals and the tools......
Have fun "larnin"......

JDMather

Re: Edit solid models
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 12:34:21 PM »
...maybe some day they'll get around to lettin us do lofts in here.....that'd be nice!  

I got a chuckle out of the AC.jpg attempt at a 'loft" OLD_CADaver posted here -
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=414216

Jochen

• Newt
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 01:51:53 PM »
"Facetted lofting" seems to be possible - see the attachement.
Regards
Jochen

www.black-cad.de

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 02:45:45 PM »
cad-waulader
.....been usin vanilla CAD for 3D for a looooong time now, and it does "almost" everything I want it to......maybe some day they'll get around to lettin us do lofts in here.....that'd be nice!  As for editing solids, it ain't all that hard...or slow!...once you understand the principals and the tools......
Have fun "larnin"......

I enjoy saying I agree. 
... and, I've heard some whispers about good things coming to those who wait, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the Easter Bunny delivers.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

SDETERS

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 06:10:51 PM »
You are still using Autocad and have wonderfull PRO-E at your finger tips?

Pro-E is so much easier on modification of surfaces and lines and sketching ECT.  Also you only have to model your part once.  Then transfer the part down into the drafting package and it automatically makes your views and cross sections.  Get this you make a change on the 3D model poof all of your views upate to that mod.

Once you start using this software you will never remember how to use auto??? what was it again???

Oh Autocad again.

Thanks

JDMather

cad-waulader

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 05:50:32 PM »
Am very pleased with ProE; WONDERFUL for mechanical part drafting and modeling.  The sublime ease of generating assemblies, drawings et al. from solid models.       
The ProE is considerably more robust than ACAD 2000 for manipulating solid models; in fact it has yet to freeze, crash or seriously tax my modestly equipped, ancient PC. 
New projects here are all in ProE, while AutoCAD is for us used only to modify grandfathered drawings. 
I would still use the AutoCAD for building drawings though.

CADaver

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 09:24:26 PM »
You are still using Autocad and have wonderfull PRO-E at your finger tips?

Pro-E is so much easier on modification of surfaces and lines and sketching ECT. 
Agreed.

Also you only have to model your part once. 
Same is true for AutoCAD.

Then transfer the part down into the drafting package and it automatically makes your views and cross sections. 
Really?? Automatically??  ALL views and cross-sections???  How does it know which views and ross-sections I want?  (BTW, I've used Pro-E, it ain't nearly that magical)

Get this you make a change on the 3D model poof all of your views upate to that mod.

Once you start using this software you will never remember how to use auto??? what was it again???
wrong, used it, it's okay but waayyy over-priced and has yet to really dent the user base.  When it does, we may look at it again.

SDETERS

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 05:59:45 PM »
I have not Used Pro_e.  I have nothing but hear say on this software.  Actually to say it correctly Wildfire.   :mrgreen:

What I meant by crossestions is you have to tell the software where the section is needed and then it will drop the section in.  In I-Deas it creates the cross section 90% of the time. :-P

When you make a change on the 3D model poof the geometry changes and any 2D dimension lines that are attached to that will also move.  (In I-Deas) :-D

CADaver

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 03:57:15 PM »
What I meant by crossestions is you have to tell the software where the section is needed and then it will drop the section in.  In I-Deas it creates the cross section 90% of the time.
In AutoCAD, I tell it where to cut the slice and place it in the desired viewport ALL the time.

When you make a change on the 3D model poof the geometry changes and any 2D dimension lines that are attached to that will also move.  (In I-Deas) :-D
In AutoCAD with DIMASSOC=2 the same is true.

SDETERS

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 05:38:38 PM »
OOpps got a little of the subject here sorry

Autocad is a 3D option.  It is very hard for someone like me to see Autocad and 3D in the same sentence. 

Learn Pro-E Learn 3D autocad it will make your designs easier in the long run.  Just do not be afraid to try new software.  Always give it a chance and it might suprise ya.

Thanks

PS

me mouse pad rocks :lol:

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 08:17:39 PM »
Get this you make a change on the 3D model poof all of your views upate to that mod.

Same is true for AutoCAD
? ? ?? Never saw that in AutoCAD, when a user is changing the 3D model and the 2D views generated via SOLVIEW, SOLDRAW... are updating automatically!

What's the trick CADaver cause that'd save me time and I'd be happy to learn it  :-)

Jim Yadon

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 09:44:32 PM »
Anybody know efficient ways to:
*select a set of features, and translate them.
*select a set of edges and chamfer or fillet them.  
*scale a model along one or two axes only.
Currently, know how to extrude faces just fine, also slice, section & boolean.  Appreciate input.

I'm not sure what you mean by translate.
I've never had a problem using the fillet or chamfer command with solids in any version of ACAD 2k4 and above.
Scaling along independant axis... hmmm. Sounds like you need to look into 2k7. You have to see some of the features that are there to believe them. Picture using one solid to subtract from another. Oops, you placed the solid you subtracted a little bit off? Well just select feature that was created by the subtraction and move it! Seriously, you gotta see it to believe it. It sounds too good to be true but it works. You can also align faces of objects by selecting the face to align with and moving the object accross the faces to choose what you align to. For those of us using solid modeling on a regular basis, 2k7 has sevral tools that make our jobs a dream. Again, the only feature that still needs help is dimensioning. Maybe in 2k8?

CADaver

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 11:24:01 PM »

Same is true for AutoCAD
? ? ?? Never saw that in AutoCAD, when a user is changing the 3D model and the 2D views generated via SOLVIEW, SOLDRAW... are updating automatically!

What's the trick CADaver cause that'd save me time and I'd be happy to learn it  :-)
Simple, just avoid using the idiotic SOLxxxx commands.  They were obsolete after R12 and removed from R13, but because of users who were incapable of understanding DVIEW CLIP, they were adding back to the program with R13C4.  The MUCH better option is to use DVIEW CLIPping to produce the views required so that as the model is modified the views of the model update.

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 01:50:24 AM »
Fair enough about DVIEW.
But a drawing - normally - is to tell the builders or makers how to construct the thing(s). There are some drafting conventions to respect! How does the CLIP command behave when you have different lineweights to show or different linetypes for what is hidden for 3rd angle projection say? I mean maybe in your field or state you can get away without drafting standards or QA?
What about dimensioning complex objects never in proper UCS... Trying to understand how it is viable, for Architects for instance where the thickness of a line is related to what they want to stand out, the more prominent features?
Can you clip a section not linearly with DVIEW, as opposed to having a "kink" with the SOLxxx?
What about adding hatching? Isn't it gonna appear on all other views because it is on the model, or you have to have a stack of layers to manipulate?

CADaver

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 01:08:19 PM »
Lineweights are contolled in AutoCAD like they've always been; CTB/STB. 

For hidden 3D elements use OBSCUREDLTYPE and OBSCUREDCOLOR. 

If you "really" "need" a kinked section, use multiple aligned viewports.  That way your "section" can bend in any direction desired.

Hatching is annotation, and as such resides in PS, along with dims and notes.

BTW, just because my drafting standards are "different" doesn't mean I "can get away without drafting standards or QA".  Many drafting standards and conventions were created to communicate a 3D concept on an orthographic 2D drawing.  The 3D model can now be easily portrayed and displayed on a drawing from any viewing angle needed for clarity, thus alleviating the need for some of the drawing conventions we come to know and love over the decades.

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 01:17:06 PM »
For hidden 3D elements use OBSCUREDLTYPE and OBSCUREDCOLOR. 

At the risk of revealing my ignorance, please enlighten us as to what these are.  I vaguely remember reading about some undocumented method for causing hidden edges to show in a different linetype/color, but that was a loooong time ago.

[edit]
Oops.  Never mind.  I see now that those are system variables that were added in R2002.  Must remember to Google before asking.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 01:21:12 PM by Chuck Gabriel »

CADaver

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2006, 02:19:27 PM »
you can also explore the use of HALOGAP

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2006, 07:52:12 PM »
OK CADaver, tried "your" method, and I have to disagree with some of your remarks [I know, who would have thought! :-)]
When using OBSCUREDLTYPE it helps only to show an object in dashed in one view while continuous in another, but the continuous should be 0.5mm and the dashed one 0.35mm [well I am metric].
"always been" Careful with this type of remark, I do not recall version 9 having CTB/STB!!
Because it is convenient to you, do not assume that it is the only way, I and countless of others like to see the lineweight as we draw, that's why there is a toggle LWT, so we do not have to go to print preview.
The tessalations lines are still showing even when tinkering with DISPSILH! Unsightly, cluttering the dwg, not proper std.
Even if using the MVSETUP, it takes some mucking around on kinky section planes, let alone curved ones. Yep, a customer in the past asked for a clipped area to be curved!
You have a 3D model in ModelSpace, and you have to show the cut section with hatching; so you told me this goes in PaperSpace, pray tell me how you define the outline you want to fill in being in a different environment.

CADaver

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2006, 09:02:06 AM »
OK CADaver, tried "your" method, and I have to disagree with some of your remarks [I know, who would have thought! :-)]
When using OBSCUREDLTYPE it helps only to show an object in dashed in one view while continuous in another, but the continuous should be 0.5mm and the dashed one 0.35mm [well I am metric].
the viewports must be set to hideplot or they won't hide, and therefore won't show the hidden ltype and weight.

"always been" Careful with this type of remark, I do not recall version 9 having CTB/STB!!
very true, I just added the CTB/STB comment for clarification sorry if it confused you.

Because it is convenient to you, do not assume that it is the only way, I and countless of others like to see the lineweight as we draw, that's why there is a toggle LWT, so we do not have to go to print preview.
being very comfortable with the software and what it produces, I neither need to see the lineweights nor preview plots.  But I don't see my method as being a deterant to either.

The tessalations lines are still showing even when tinkering with DISPSILH! Unsightly, cluttering the dwg, not proper std.
Do you mean while you're drawing, or when plotted.  What you're seeing while drawing is probably a function of SHADEMODE that always shows the tessellations lines.  DISPSILH will produce a clean plot, regardless of the display of SHADEMADE.

Even if using the MVSETUP, it takes some mucking around on kinky section planes, let alone curved ones. Yep, a customer in the past asked for a clipped area to be curved!
It only takes mucking around because you're not used to the interface.  Try this for quick DVIEW slicing (I'm sure the lisp gurus around here can make this a lot slicker).

Code: [Select]
;;-------------------------------------------------------
;; DVIEW Clipping aid
;; original from Falcon Design Services with a lot of help from Mark Thomas
;; modifications and wierd little viewport change function by Ruul Morawetz
;; Enter DVP to execute
;;-------------------------------------------------------
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
(vl-load-com)
(vl-load-reactors)
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
(defun c:dvpmk ( / *error*)
   (defun *error* (msg)
      (cond
         (msg (command)(command)(princ (strcat "\nError: " msg)))
         (T nil)
      )
      (dvt:restore)
      (if msg (command "_u"))
   )
   (dvt:save)
   (dvp:sectiontop)
   (*error* nil)
      (prin1)
)
;------------------------------------------------------------------
(defun dvp:sectiontop ();/ ptfrt pt2 ang Ndvpdeep)
   (setvar "EXPERT" 5)
   (setvar "CMDECHO" 0)
   (setvar "orthomode" 1)
   (setq curvp (getvar "cvport"))
   (command "_ucs" "_s" "__TMP")
   (command "_ucs" "_v")
   (cond
      ((null (setq ptfrt (getpoint "\nSelect Front Clipping Plane of Section: "))))
      ((null (setq ptbck (getpoint "\n Select Back Clipping Plane of Section: " ptfrt))))
      ((null (setq ang (angle ptbck ptfrt))))
      ((null (setq dist (distance ptbck ptfrt))))
       (T
         (setq ptfrt (trans ptfrt 1 0) ptbck (trans ptbck 1 0));;;;;;; pt2 (trans pt2 1 0))
         (prompt "\n Select Viewport for Section Display (ENTER if necessary then) ")
         (dvt:rm:cvpc)     ; vp-change function (possibly unreliable)
         (setvar "WORLDVIEW" 1)
         (setvar "UCSFOLLOW" 0)
         (command "_ucs" "_w") ; moved here (only necessary after viewport change)
         (command "_.dview" "" "_po" "_non" ptbck "_non" ptfrt "_cl" "_f" dist "_cl" "_b" "0" "")
         (command "_.zoom" "_e" "_.zoom" ".8x")
         (command "_ucs" "_r" "__TMP" "_ucs" "_d" "__TMP")
      )
   )
)
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;------------------------------------------------------------------
(defun dvt:rm:cvpc ( / grrd weida p pold viewsize trigger)
   (setq weida T viewsize (getvar "VIEWSIZE")
         trigger (* viewsize 0.4)) ; adjust factor according to mouse speed etc
   (while weida
      (setq grrd (grread T )) ;(+ 1 2 4 8) 2
      (cond
         ((= 5 (car grrd))
            (setq p (cadr grrd))
            (cond
               ((and pold (> (distance p pold) trigger))
                  (setq weida nil)
               )
            )
            (setq pold p)
         )
         ((= 2 (car grrd))(setq weida nil))
         (T nil
         )
      )
   )
)
   (defun dvt:save ( / n)
      (setq *dvt* nil)
      (command "_undo" "_begin")
       (osmget)(setvar "osmode" 0)
      (foreach n '("CMDECHO" "NOMUTT" "CMDECHO" "WORLDVIEW" "UCSFOLLOW" "EXPERT")
         (setq *dvt* (cons (cons n (getvar n)) *dvt*))
      )
   )
   (defun dvt:restore ()
      (foreach n *dvt*
         (setvar (car n) (cdr n))
      )
       (osmret)
      (command "_undo" "_end")
   )
(defun c:dvp ()
(c:dvpmk)
(setvar "cvport" curvp)
)
(defun c:VPSwap ()
(command ".undo" "BEGIN")
(if
  (= (getvar "cvport") 1)
   (command "_mspace")
)
(command "_view" "_d" "vpswap*")            ;;;;Delete any existing vport views

(prompt "\nSelect a DIFFERENT viewport")    ;;;;Get the first viewport
(dvt:rm:cvpc)                               ;;;;Viewport select tool;; subroutine below
(setq vprt01 (getvar "cvport"))             ;;;;Get viewport setvar
(command "_view" "_S" "vpswap01")           ;;;;Save the view of that viewport

(prompt "\nSelect another viewport")        ;;;;Get the second viewport
(dvt:rm:cvpc)                               ;;;;Viewport select tool;; subroutine below
(setq vprt02 (getvar "cvport"))             ;;;;Get viewport setvar
(command "_view" "_S" "vpswap02")           ;;;;Save the view of that viewport

(setvar "cvport" vprt01)                    ;;;;Set first viewport
(command "_view" "r" "vpswap02")            ;;;;Restore Second View

(setvar "cvport" vprt02)                    ;;;;Set second viewport
(command "_view" "r" "vpswap01")            ;;;;Restore first View

(command "_view" "_d" "vpswap*")            ;;;;Delete any existing vport views
(IF (= nil id:lispold) (setq id:lispold "x")(setq id:lispold id:lisp))
(setq id:lisp "vpswap")
(c:counter)
(command ".undo" "END")
(princ)
)

You have a 3D model in ModelSpace, and you have to show the cut section with hatching; so you told me this goes in PaperSpace, pray tell me how you define the outline you want to fill in being in a different environment.
First, we only hatch what's necessary for clarity and not according to some arbitrary standard.  But that aside, there are several ways to place hatching besides selecting a zone to hatch. True most are a little more tedious, but that modicum of tedium is more than outweighed by the advantages of viewing the real model instead of a facsimile of the model produced by the tedium of the SOLxxxx commands.

The method we use most is direct hatching.  Of course we have several lisp functions to place the desired hatch, but below is the base AutoCAD Command sequence.
Code: [Select]
Command: HATCH

Enter a pattern name or [?/Solid/User defined] <ANSI31>:

Specify a scale for the pattern <1.0000>:1.5

Specify an angle for the pattern <0.00000000>: 45
Select objects to define hatch boundary or <direct hatch>, <-Press ENTER Here

Select objects:

Retain polyline boundary? [Yes/No] <N>:N

Specify start point:  <-Pick Point
Specify next point or [Arc/Length/Undo]:  <-Pick Point
Specify next point or [Arc/Close/Length/Undo]:  <-Pick Point
Specify next point or [Arc/Close/Length/Undo]: C  <-“C” for close
Specify start point for new boundary or <apply hatch>:<-Press ENTER

You disagree after attempting the procedure for only a few minutes.  I'm reasonably sure you gave AutoCAD a lot longer than that to get accustomed to it, otherwise you wouldn't be using it now.  Understand, I did it your way for several years, always fiddling with the SOLxxxx commands. Something moved?, either re-run the SOLxxxx commands or fix both the model and the drawing. Something changed?, either re-run the SOLxxxx commands or fix both the model and the drawing. Something deleted?, either re-run the SOLxxxx commands or fix both the model and the drawing. Something added?, either re-run the SOLxxxx commands or fix both the model and the drawing.  Now that was true "mucking around".  R14 gave use OBSCREDLTYYPE and OBSCUREDCOLOR, R2000 gave us multiple layout tabs, and the little DVP routine above filled in the rest.  We are now considerably faster that we were using the SOLxxxx commands, and the drawings are not divorced from the actual model.

BTW, it seems the R2K7 has added a feature very much like the DVP functions above

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2006, 05:47:40 PM »
Hi CADaver,
very true, I just added the CTB/STB comment for clarification sorry if it confused you.
It did not confuse me for been using AutoCAD for a long time, but had the potential to confuse others!

being very comfortable with the software and what it produces, I neither need to see the lineweights nor preview plots.  But I don't see my method as being a deterant to either.
It does not matter if one is being comfortable, cause I do not draw just for myself. Sometimes customers want to see what they pay for on the screen.

Do you mean while you're drawing, or when plotted.  What you're seeing while drawing is probably a function of SHADEMODE that always shows the tessellations lines.  DISPSILH will produce a clean plot, regardless of the display of SHADEMADE.
Yeah, meant while drawing. Well, you have to be in HIDDEN mode to have the OBSCURELTYPE working, so the tessalations will show up and on complex design clutter dwg unnecessarily.

It only takes mucking around because you're not used to the interface.  Try this for quick DVIEW slicing (I'm sure the lisp gurus around here can make this a lot slicker).
When we were comparing the benefits of one vs other, I was under the impression that we were comparing oranges! I agree with you that the potential of AutoCAD is not so much what it does, but what it allows one to do. But in this case, you were considering add-ons to AutoCAD [whether in-house development]. Not fair.
I am sure that when you were comparing AutoCAD 3D capabilities against the other software, other users could have said OK mine does not do that out-the-box, but I can make it do!

First, we only hatch what's necessary for clarity and not according to some arbitrary standard.  But that aside, there are several ways to place hatching besides selecting a zone to hatch. True most are a little more tedious, but that modicum of tedium is more than outweighed by the advantages of viewing the real model instead of a facsimile of the model produced by the tedium of the SOLxxxx commands.

The method we use most is direct hatching.  Of course we have several lisp functions to place the desired hatch, but below is the base AutoCAD Command sequence.
Right. Picking point is only gonna work on curveless objects.

You disagree after attempting the procedure for only a few minutes.  I'm reasonably sure you gave AutoCAD a lot longer than that to get accustomed to it, otherwise you wouldn't be using it now.  Understand, I did it your way for several years, always fiddling with the SOLxxxx commands. Something moved?, either re-run the SOLxxxx commands or fix both the model and the drawing. Something changed?, either re-run the SOLxxxx commands or fix both the model and the drawing. Something deleted?, either re-run the SOLxxxx commands or fix both the model and the drawing. Something added?, either re-run the SOLxxxx commands or fix both the model and the drawing.  Now that was true "mucking around".  R14 gave use OBSCREDLTYYPE and OBSCUREDCOLOR, R2000 gave us multiple layout tabs, and the little DVP routine above filled in the rest.  We are now considerably faster that we were using the SOLxxxx commands, and the drawings are not divorced from the actual model.
Not really! It may appear that I tested it for a few minutes, but have been using AutoCAD for 20 years [since Version 2.18] So, was familiar with DVIEW and CLIP, but dropped it in the past for SOLxxx. I thought I'd give your method a try, thinking maybe he stumbled on a trick worth investigating. Still not convinced. You think the SOLxxx are too much mucking, and I know - for me - DVIEW... is too much involved for no much return.
As for the changes in the design, well I worked for a drafting bureau, so the designs were well tought out before we were commandited to draw! I do realise that in offices, especially with young generation of engineers, it is possibly not that easy. Old engineers were working the pros and cons of a design at 95% probability before giving it to draw. New ones, they have learnt that it is easy to modify on CAD, so why bother thinking ahead :lmao:

I had a customer that had a curved covered walkway in past. Taking a long section centrally by aligning viewports would have been tedious and not accurate anyway!
Alright Monsieur Broussard, I'll keep struggling along my ol' way :wink:

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2006, 05:51:00 PM »
..>>>   Old engineers were working the pros and cons of a design at 95% probability before giving it to draw. New ones, they have learnt that it is easy to modify on CAD, so why bother thinking ahead :lmao:

AMEN !
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

CADaver

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2006, 08:59:55 AM »
It does not matter if one is being comfortable, cause I do not draw just for myself. Sometimes customers want to see what they pay for on the screen.
That's what 3dmodel reviews are for.

Yeah, meant while drawing. Well, you have to be in HIDDEN mode to have the OBSCURELTYPE working, so the tessalations will show up and on complex design clutter dwg unnecessarily.
I work with shademode set to 2d always, I built it, I should know where it is right?

When we were comparing the benefits of one vs other, I was under the impression that we were comparing oranges! I agree with you that the potential of AutoCAD is not so much what it does, but what it allows one to do. But in this case, you were considering add-ons to AutoCAD [whether in-house development]. Not fair.
I am sure that when you were comparing AutoCAD 3D capabilities against the other software, other users could have said OK mine does not do that out-the-box, but I can make it do!
I was offering a solution to the complaint about dview clipping.  But even without the aid, dview clipping maintains the connection between the model and the drawing that is destroyed by the SOLxxx commands

Right. Picking point is only gonna work on curveless objects.
sure it will as long as you not too "retentive" about the hatch line intersection the edges "exactly".

Not really! It may appear that I tested it for a few minutes, but have been using AutoCAD for 20 years [since Version 2.18] So, was familiar with DVIEW and CLIP, but dropped it in the past for SOLxxx.
and spent a lot of time learning and using that method no doubt.

I thought I'd give your method a try, thinking maybe he stumbled on a trick worth investigating. Still not convinced. You think the SOLxxx are too much mucking, and I know - for me - DVIEW... is too much involved for no much return.
You get the very same results in the view as you get with SOLLxxxx, so the return is the same for both except with DVIEW you're looking at the true model not some facsimile.  How is DVIEW "too much involved"?  You know where you want the slice, you know the current view target, you keyin how much in front or behind that target you want the slice.  You're done.

BTW, DVIEW works on ALL elements not just solids.  With the SOLxxx commands all the elements in the file must be 3dsolids, which prohibits the use of blocks for modeling.  Using blocks, our files run in the 10MB size, if all the elements were 3dsolids, the file sizes would be in the 200mb range.  Using blocks, we can attach intelligence to the model that can be extracted later (EATTEXT), something that can't be done with 3dsolids without some other application.

As for the changes in the design, well I worked for a drafting bureau, so the designs were well tought out before we were commandited to draw! I do realise that in offices, especially with young generation of engineers, it is possibly not that easy. Old engineers were working the pros and cons of a design at 95% probability before giving it to draw. New ones, they have learnt that it is easy to modify on CAD, so why bother thinking ahead
The problem now is not that it is easy, but that schedules have been compressed.  Projects that took 2 years to complete 30 years ago are being completed in 8 months now.  Products have to hit the market while the profitability window is open.  In these cases I have to get the steel into the fab shop long before the mechanical design is complete so that it can be erected prior to the pipe delivery, and before the steel is erected the foundations must be poured and prior to that the piles must be driven.  So very often we have issued the pile location plans well before even the process has been finalized.  That scheme leads to a multitude of revisions downline as the design is hammered out.

I had a customer that had a curved covered walkway in past. Taking a long section centrally by aligning viewports would have been tedious and not accurate anyway!
Might I suggest that what you finally gave him was not completely accurate either, and required no small amount of of "mucking about"?

cad-waulader

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2006, 08:18:38 PM »
this is a quote from Jay's post on 3/21:
"I'm not sure what you mean by translate"

apology for taking ten years to reply now. 
By translate, I mean designate sets of vertices or faces of a solid model and 'drag' them elsewhere, meanwhile, the rest of the model stays immobile.  It's (apparently) not possible with solid models to the extent that it is, for example, with meshes or polylines.   
Thanks for beaucoup helpful input, everybody; the solids are going swimmingly now. 
Anybody proficient in 2D autocad will have no trouble delving into 3D.  3d comes nearer to representing the reality of objects than 2d, and as such is more readily understood, a lesser abstraction of the model.   And for presentation purposes, with 3d you're free do derive relevant views and sections straight from the model.  So you retain all previous capabilities and gain additional means to understand and present the designed object.
Not everybody needs 3d, but doubtless many who don't know it would profit from it. 

DaveW

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2006, 11:46:58 AM »
The problem is that dview is not that intuitive. Many people have a harder time learning it and understanding it. I happen to like it too. I have written some code that automates dview and clipping planes. It is reduced to 2 choices v or p, for vertical or plan, then a second choice to back, front, left, right or up or down, then the user just picks one point and they are done. I have also added some code which adds the section command into the mix, when needed. It is only good for orthographical views though, so the end user still needs to know how to use dview for any non-orthographical views.

Video here:
http://SmartLister.com/files/section.avi
No audio, 8 meg.

CADaver

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2006, 02:25:48 PM »
Apologies for taking 5 months to answer:

apology for taking ten years to reply now. 
By translate, I mean designate sets of vertices or faces of a solid model and 'drag' them elsewhere, meanwhile, the rest of the model stays immobile.  It's (apparently) not possible with solid models to the extent that it is, for example, with meshes or polylines.   
If you mean grips, no, but SOLIDEDIT>FACE>MOVE is pretty stinking quick.  R2007 you can use grips.

Thanks for beaucoup helpful input, everybody; the solids are going swimmingly now. 
You may wish to delve into unit blocks now.

CADaver

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2006, 02:35:38 PM »
The problem is that dview is not that intuitive. Many people have a harder time learning it and understanding it.
I guess I still have trouble with that word.  It seems perfectly intuitve to me.  I've only had one student have a real hard time understanding it, and he had a hard time understanding that the different views were looking at the same model.

I have written some code that automates dview and clipping planes. It is reduced to 2 choices v or p, for vertical or plan, then a second choice to back, front, left, right or up or down, then the user just picks one point and they are done. I have also added some code which adds the section command into the mix, when needed. It is only good for orthographical views though, so the end user still needs to know how to use dview for any non-orthographical views.
Have a look at the lame little DVP function I posted on page two of this thread. Non-orthagonal views can be had by rotating SNAP or keying relative coords or angles.

DaveW

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2006, 04:38:16 PM »
I may be able to use that as an end user from time to time or even my customers. I cannot take advantage of the actual coding because it is lisp. Might as well be Greek to me. Besides your utility automating the non-orthographical views, it may give me some insight in what I should code next to get a similar result.

Thanks,

Dave
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 11:48:54 PM by DaveW »