Author Topic: Edit solid models  (Read 22488 times)

cad-waulader

Edit solid models
« on: July 26, 2005, 02:28:45 PM »
Anybody know efficient ways to:
*select a set of features, and translate them.
*select a set of edges and chamfer or fillet them.  
*scale a model along one or two axes only.
Currently, know how to extrude faces just fine, also slice, section & boolean.  Appreciate input.

daron

Edit solid models
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 04:55:19 PM »
Not in ACAD, that I know. VIZ/MAX could do that.

ChrisSolid

Edit solid models
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 05:09:57 PM »
Sounds like you'd probably want to be using Inventor, or some other more serious solid model cad program. AutoCAD's come a long way, solids-wise, but I believe it is hamstrung by old underlying architecture that, for one thing, couldn't count on or make use of the kind of powerful video cards in use today.

cad-waulader

Edit solid models
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 06:42:35 PM »
Thanks- Y'all would know the tricks, if any were to be had.  I'm digging in my heels here in the office trying to forestall learning ProE as long as possible.  <ominous deep breathing: Choose the dark side, Luke!> Well, here goes.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Edit solid models
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 03:35:14 AM »
Quote from: cad-waulader
Thanks- Y'all would know the tricks, if any were to be had.  I'm digging in my heels here in the office trying to forestall learning ProE as long as possible.  <ominous deep breathing: Choose the dark side, Luke!> Well, here goes.

Don't fear the dark side! Hubby uses Pro-E on a daily basis (and has for the last 5 or so years). I've had a play with the student version he was given, and it looks phenomenal. We had a race one day to produce a model I was using at college to teach people solids. It took me 3 times longer than him, and he could edit the part after it was created many many times quicker. In the UK Pro-E pays much better than ACAD too!
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

CADaver

Edit solid models
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 06:15:44 PM »
Before you bail on plian ol' AutoCAD, look into the SOLIDEDIT command.  Example: SOLIDEDIT>FACE>MOVE will move a 3dsolid face normal to it's plane.

Also the FILLET and CHAMFER commands work just fine on most 3dsolids.  When using explore "LOOP".

cad-waulader

Edit solid models
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 01:26:36 PM »
good info, CADaver...have since used chamfer, fillet, solidedit to good effect.  Don't aim to bail, though, on old chum ACAD.  better to add progs to your toolbox & then pick the best one for the task at hand.

t-bear

Edit solid models
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 01:53:53 PM »
cad-waulader
.....been usin vanilla CAD for 3D for a looooong time now, and it does "almost" everything I want it to......maybe some day they'll get around to lettin us do lofts in here.....that'd be nice!  As for editing solids, it ain't all that hard...or slow!...once you understand the principals and the tools......
Have fun "larnin"......

JDMather

Re: Edit solid models
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 12:34:21 PM »
...maybe some day they'll get around to lettin us do lofts in here.....that'd be nice!  

I got a chuckle out of the AC.jpg attempt at a 'loft" OLD_CADaver posted here -
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?threadID=414216

Jochen

• Newt
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 01:51:53 PM »
"Facetted lofting" seems to be possible - see the attachement.
Regards
Jochen

www.black-cad.de

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 02:45:45 PM »
cad-waulader
.....been usin vanilla CAD for 3D for a looooong time now, and it does "almost" everything I want it to......maybe some day they'll get around to lettin us do lofts in here.....that'd be nice!  As for editing solids, it ain't all that hard...or slow!...once you understand the principals and the tools......
Have fun "larnin"......

I enjoy saying I agree. 
... and, I've heard some whispers about good things coming to those who wait, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the Easter Bunny delivers.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

SDETERS

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 06:10:51 PM »
You are still using Autocad and have wonderfull PRO-E at your finger tips?

Pro-E is so much easier on modification of surfaces and lines and sketching ECT.  Also you only have to model your part once.  Then transfer the part down into the drafting package and it automatically makes your views and cross sections.  Get this you make a change on the 3D model poof all of your views upate to that mod.

Once you start using this software you will never remember how to use auto??? what was it again???

Oh Autocad again.

Thanks

JDMather

cad-waulader

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 05:50:32 PM »
Am very pleased with ProE; WONDERFUL for mechanical part drafting and modeling.  The sublime ease of generating assemblies, drawings et al. from solid models.       
The ProE is considerably more robust than ACAD 2000 for manipulating solid models; in fact it has yet to freeze, crash or seriously tax my modestly equipped, ancient PC. 
New projects here are all in ProE, while AutoCAD is for us used only to modify grandfathered drawings. 
I would still use the AutoCAD for building drawings though.

CADaver

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 09:24:26 PM »
You are still using Autocad and have wonderfull PRO-E at your finger tips?

Pro-E is so much easier on modification of surfaces and lines and sketching ECT. 
Agreed.

Also you only have to model your part once. 
Same is true for AutoCAD.

Then transfer the part down into the drafting package and it automatically makes your views and cross sections. 
Really?? Automatically??  ALL views and cross-sections???  How does it know which views and ross-sections I want?  (BTW, I've used Pro-E, it ain't nearly that magical)

Get this you make a change on the 3D model poof all of your views upate to that mod.
Same is true for AutoCAD.

Once you start using this software you will never remember how to use auto??? what was it again???
wrong, used it, it's okay but waayyy over-priced and has yet to really dent the user base.  When it does, we may look at it again.