Author Topic: Pipe slicer  (Read 19080 times)

CADaver

Pipe slicer
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 08:48:01 PM »
Quote from: Keith
You need to read the post again .. besides, if it is ONLY a 2d representation, then he doesn't need to slice anything now does he.
Maybe you need to look at the picture again.  It's a copy of a 2D drawing, otherwise the "plan view" of the "collar" would be elliptical.

Sorry .. this is one time you are way off base .. because your method is not as efficient as aligning the UCS to an existing object ...
Nope, not this time either, if you have enough information to create the UCS, you have enough for the slice, fewer commands, fewer steps.  Not only more efficient, but MUCH more efficient.  No lines to then erase, nothing to figure, nothing additional.  Geez, just try it.  I did it your way for for some time, until I found a much more efficient method.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Pipe slicer
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2005, 09:06:20 PM »
If it means anything, I do both.

.. Using a UCS depends on how often I need to come back to that plane, or parallel to it, or orthogonal to it. I use a UCS more often than not.

... Mainly because once it is established < blink of an eye > consistantly returning to the SAME plane is a breeze.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Pipe slicer
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 09:15:18 PM »
typing with one hand is not efficient, unless you are left handed and can type with your right hand alone ... the keyboard is not setup to be efficient.

If I have to move my hand all around the keyboard, and move it off of the mouse to type various distances and bearings or enter 3d points as numerical data my time has become severly wasted.

Using your idea that typing it in is more efficient it is amazing that we even use the mouse pointer at all ~ after all, we could just type in the direction vectors, wouldn't that be more efficient?

I suspect that you are merely "stuck" in your way .. and it serves you well. If that is the case then so be it .. but please do not try to take away the tools that are available and simple to use .. indeed much easier to use ...
And while you are correct that the plan view would be 2d, because the slice is not elliptical, you must understand that a) he had not made the slice at that point b) I referred to the front view where he shows an existing 3dpolyline (which could conceivably be used as defining plane)
Bottom line is in less than 2 seconds I could slice it along that plane...but I couldn't even think what I needed to type that fast ....
So keep using that old keyboard ... and have fun with it
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

CADaver

Pipe slicer
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2005, 01:31:13 PM »
typing with one hand is not efficient, unless you are left handed and can type with your right hand alone
I'm right-handed thats why I have the mouse in my left hand.  See mouse 3 buttons, see keyboard bunch of buttons, which needs the more adroit hand?  Mouse in left hand, right hand over numeric keypad (or do you not enter numbers when drawing?) is considerably more efficient than anything I've seen up to now.  But then I can use two hands a one time.

If I have to move my hand all around the keyboard, and move it off of the mouse to type
Then you have an inefficient station setup, see above.

various distances and bearings or enter 3d points as numerical data my time has become severly wasted.
How do you enter 3d data without entering the numerical data with the keyboard?

Using your idea that typing it in is more efficient it is amazing that we even use the mouse pointer at all ~ after all, we could just type in the direction vectors, wouldn't that be more efficient?
Very often it is, if you take the time to design your station setup to be efficient.

I suspect that you are merely "stuck" in your way
one of us is and I'm pretty sure it's not me.  We taken the time to do efficiency studies on station setups to find out the most efficient method of getting information into a drawing, and we measured the methods using 75-90 different operators.  Some worked better than others, and others took some getting used to.  But generally we found the one command was much more efficient than two or three, and drawing stuff that had to be erased later was a major waste of time.

.. and it serves you well. If that is the case then so be it .. but please do not try to take away the tools that are available and simple to use .. indeed much easier to use ...
Not taking anything away (as I pointed out in my first post) just pointing out the "better" way.  If you wish to remain inefficient, carry on.  But if you wish a way that is CONSIDERABLY faster, just as simple and even easier, check out the method I posted.  Or just dismiss it out of hand as something "new".

I referred to the front view where he shows an existing 3dpolyline (which could conceivably be used as defining plane)
Bottom line is in less than 2 seconds I could slice it along that plane...but I couldn't even think what I needed to type that fast ....
How did the line get there? To draw the line you have all the info you need to make the slice, without drawing the line.

So
My method is "make the slice"
Your method is draw a line, set a UCS, make the slice, erase the line

Bottom line is pretty apparent.

So keep using that old keyboard ... and have fun with it
I do, thank you, being efficient is not only fun, but profitable.  But I understand some who can't use both hands at the same time, we make 'em spit out their gum before walking.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Pipe slicer
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2005, 02:20:39 PM »
I suppose I fall into that category of the inefficient fool that cannot type and chew gum at the same time, but I do know that I can draw pretty darn fast and I have yet to find anyone who can draw as fast as I do, or as efficient as I do .. be it through keystrokes, mouse, or tablet .. I am well versed in all of them.

The good thing about AutoCAD is that if something is to be done, there are a dozen or more ways to do it, each with their good points and bad points ... unfortunately I cannot get used to a left handed mouse, I have tried ... it is like putting a square peg into a round hole .. it just doesn't fit well, no matter how hard you try... heck I even worked with a guy once that had 2 mice, one for each hand, had tool palettes for keystrokes, and he could do anything with the mouse that you could do with the keyboard... so for me using the mouse, drawing and erasing lines, and setting UCS to object IS much more efficient, and for you to suggest that it is more efficient for everyone to use your method, is both wrong and an illogical use of your time. Conformance is fine, but brains process information, in this case the user must process the information required to make the task at hand as efficient as possible. That is where the error is in your "efficiency" standards. No 2 human brains are exactly alike, they all process information a little differently and as such it is the individual that must determine what is more efficient, and it just so happens that you find extensive use of the keyboard more efficient than pointing and clicking ... I am exactly opposite ..
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

whdjr

Pipe slicer
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2005, 02:57:19 PM »
Quote from: CADaver
So
My method is "make the slice"
Your method is draw a line, set a UCS, make the slice, erase the line

[sarcasm]hm...I didn't realize changing the UCS entailed drawing a line.  I always thought I selected an entity I wanted to use...[/sarcasm]

CADaver

Pipe slicer
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2005, 06:50:29 AM »
Quote from: whdjr
hm...I didn't realize changing the UCS entailed drawing a line.  I always thought I selected an entity I wanted to use
What entity are you going to select?  The only element in the drawing indicating the angle is the line.  How'd it get there without drawing it?  I don't have MagiCAD, I only have AutoCAD.

CADaver

Pipe slicer
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2005, 07:01:16 AM »
I suppose I fall into that category of the inefficient fool that cannot type and chew gum at the same time, but I do know that I can draw pretty darn fast and I have yet to find anyone who can draw as fast as I do, or as efficient as I do .. be it through keystrokes, mouse, or tablet .. I am well versed in all of them.
you're gonna pull a muscle.

I cannot get used to a left handed mouse, I have tried ... it is like putting a square peg into a round hole ..
Never HAD to, if you did, you would.

and setting UCS to object IS much more efficient, and for you to suggest that it is more efficient for everyone to use your method, is both wrong and an illogical use of your time.
Tell me, how did the object get there for you to use in creating the UCS?  You had to draw it right?  What method did you use to draw it?  Nothing to click to, right?  Rather than drawing an object to set a UCS, just do the slice.  Doing so is both logical AND much more efficient.  Drawing something that later has to be erased (the object for your UCS) is both illogical and a waste of time.

is where the error is in your "efficiency" standards. No 2 human brains are exactly alike, they all process information a little differently and as such it is the individual that must determine what is more efficient,
Nope we take that into consideration.  Just a very little training is sufficient for anyone without a "stuck in my old methods" mindset.

and it just so happens that you find extensive use of the keyboard more efficient than pointing and clicking ..
Where did you get "extensive use" of the keyboard.  I merely used the same entries that you would need to create the line in the first place.  The difference is when I'm done the pipe is sliced, when you're done you have a line that will need to be erased later, and you still need to set a UCS and do the slice.  The efficiency is obvious.