Author Topic: Pipe slicer  (Read 19077 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Pipe slicer
« on: July 19, 2005, 11:00:00 AM »
Need some help from you 3D guys. I'm trying to cut off part of a cylinder but I've no idea how. I can create the cylinder (culvert pipe) without problem but I can't figure out to slice if off. What I have is a mitered end section (concrete placed at the end of a culvert usually at about a 65 degree angle) at the end of a culvert pipe (the thing in a ditch that typically has a driveway over it).

See image for detail [ http://www.theswamp.org/screens/mark/screen_shots/slice_cylinder.png ]

Thanks.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Pipe slicer
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 11:29:51 AM »
in your front view, where you show your 3d polyline, draw a line at the angle you want the object cut off, set the UCS to that line, then slice along the ZX plane saving the piece you need (or both)
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Pipe slicer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 12:04:36 PM »
Yea man ... !!

Thanks Keith.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
Pipe slicer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 01:48:54 PM »
you are very welcome .. UCS will quickly become your best friend when working in 3D ...

t-bear

Pipe slicer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 01:58:35 PM »
3-point UCS...........awsome for running tubing systems and piping runs.......

CADaver

Pipe slicer
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 02:32:46 PM »
While UCS is an extremely useful command, it is not necessary in this case.  All that is needed are the start point of the slice above the "invert" and the angle from the XY plane (25 deg) and the SLICE command.

The following assumes the start of the slice is 4" above the B.O.P., hence the "From" "QUA" "@0,0,4"

The second point on the slice only needs a vector of any magnitude, so I used @12<0<25.  The 12 is the magnitude, the first angle "<0" is IN the XY plane and the second angle "<25" is FROM the XY plane.

The third point is just a vector relative to the second point, @22<90 would work, as would @0,12 or @ 0,1

Then just select the portion to keep.

SLICE
    Select objects: 1 found

Select objects:
    Specify first point on slicing plane by
[Object/Zaxis/View/XY/YZ/ZX/3points]
<3points>:  From
Base point:  Qua of <Offset>: @0,0,4

Specify second point on plane: @12<0<25

Specify third point on plane: @0,12

Specify a point on desired side of the plane or [keep Both sides]: B[/list:u]

Once you get familiar with 3D this kind of slice manipulation becomes second nature.  For the neophyte, the UCS method is easier, if more steps are required.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
Pipe slicer
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 02:44:44 PM »
hey ... watch the name calling bud ... and yes the UCS command IS easier and faster than attempting to calculate offsets ... Stick with the UCS it is better .. I don't care what CADaver says .. :P

CADaver

Pipe slicer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 02:51:27 PM »
Quote from: Keith
hey ... watch the name calling bud ... and yes the UCS command IS easier and faster than attempting to calculate offsets ... Stick with the UCS it is better .. I don't care what CADaver says .. :P
If you know enough to set the UCS, that is all you need for slice.  

And where I am, one command is easier and faster than 2 commands... but I understand that certain parallel universes have it the other way round. :wink:

BTW, no offsets were calculated at all.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
Pipe slicer
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 02:58:59 PM »
I live on multiple planes .. thus it is easy for me to navigate any number of planes ... and while there are 2 commands, I find it faster to make 2 or 3 additional clicks rather than type in 8 or 10 characters .. it is all about number of motions .. not number of commands ... ;)

t-bear

Pipe slicer
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 03:00:59 PM »
what Keith said..........first y'gotta figure all them angle thingies out, then y'gotta TYPE 'em!  Gimme a couple'a clicks any time!

CADaver

Pipe slicer
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 03:01:12 PM »
I live on multiple planes .. thus it is easy for me to navigate any number of planes ... and while there are 2 commands, I find it faster to make 2 or 3 additional clicks rather than type in 8 or 10 characters .. it is all about number of motions .. not number of commands ... ;)
How did you define that particular UCS with just a couple of clicks?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
Pipe slicer
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 03:08:44 PM »
Well, in Mark's example, there is already an object at the desired angle ... click <align UCS to object> click <object>

voila ~ ucs is aligned

slice

click <slice> click <object> (kbd) [spc] ZX [spc] click <object> click <object> ~ done

CADaver

Pipe slicer
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 05:02:50 PM »
Quote from: t-bear
what Keith said..........first y'gotta figure all them angle thingies out, then y'gotta TYPE 'em!  Gimme a couple'a clicks any time!
NOTHING needs to be figured out, the angle is already known.  If you know enough to set the UCS, you know enough for the slice.

CADaver

Pipe slicer
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 05:07:03 PM »
Mark's example,
is a 2D representation of what he wants.  If you know enough to draw the line, you know enough to make the slice, without drawing the line or changing the UCS.  NOTHING to figure out, nothing additional to key in.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
Pipe slicer
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 05:35:38 PM »
You need to read the post again .. besides, if it is ONLY a 2d representation, then he doesn't need to slice anything now does he.

Sorry .. this is one time you are way off base .. because your method is not as efficient as aligning the UCS to an existing object ...