Author Topic: Is there life after lisp?  (Read 5444 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Is there life after lisp?
« on: January 15, 2004, 08:48:48 AM »
So were does one go after AutoLISP? VB(A), C++, Perl, etc.......

I have been pondering this issue for some time now. In all likely hood VB(A) would be the right choice considering that I work with ACAD and many other Windows programs that make use of it. The problem is that ties you to the Windows family of OS's, what about all the *nix OS's? Then there is the fact that you have to _pay_ for the compiler if you want stand-alone apps, it's not cheap either. For about the past four years I have become a big fan of the open source movement. I like the idea and the programs it produces. For example, take a look at http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/ . So that takes us to C++, a very high level language with a high level learning curve to go with it. Getting the tools I need to produce C++ apps on Windows is a piece of cake, I just point by browser to http://www.mingw.org . The apps can be ran on many different OS's, but would I write such an app? Of course with C++ I can still write apps for ACAD, albeit somewhat more difficult to do then with AutoLISP. So maybe Perl is the answer? It's a higher level language, it's open source and it can be run on a host of OS's. Plus it's interpretive so I can test it right on the command line like I can do with lisp. I can't use it for ACAD, but I can use it for a plethora of other things, like web applications, database apps or just plain old stand-alone apps to help me get my job done. My job, the bottom line. My job is drafting, not programming. If I invest all the time in learning another language can I make money with, or will it just be a hobby? Will I ever be good enough to move from drafting to programming? Will I want to? Oh wait, what about Python!

perls, pythons and bears oh my! .....................

So here I sit, still pondering these many questions. *sigh*
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 08:58:06 AM »
heh, you think your confused as to what direction to go now?!  Read this: http://www.cadencoding.com/index.php?option=articles&task=viewarticle&artid=13&Itemid=3

Ive been wanting to continue my Cpp learning, and i think im gonna go with VCpp.NET in the near future. --And you know that there prolly wont be a free compiler for that for a while. (but maybe the guys at bloodshed are already on it. who knows?)
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

daron

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 09:12:40 AM »
It's funny you mention that. I'm getting deep into xml. I understand something written in xml can be tapped into by using another program, such as vb.net. It also seems that Columbia has found a way to tap into it using lisp. I was wondering if anybody can point me in the direction of how to get lisp or vba to look through an xml file and extract info from it? Would his last vlx file do the trick?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 09:15:13 AM »
Well, Mark ....
I think that the next logical step is ...
Learn VB(A) simply because you can apply the knowledge to your current position.
Why you may ask???
Well, while you are pecking away at the keyboard writing short scripts and using them in AutoCAD, you are actually learning a valuable lesson that you can take to C++ making it much easier to learn. That being object model programming.
C++ uses a very similar idea for it's object model programming.
For example:
In VB(A)
Object.Property = Value
In C++
Object.Property = Value

In VB(A)
Object.Method (params)
In C++
Object.Method (params)

The main difference is the function names and then of course the Class structure
The hardest part of C++, after you have mastered th object oriented concept, is simply knowing what objects have what methods and properties.
And ... that is why we have reference manuals... :)
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 09:18:50 AM »

can point me in the direction of how to get lisp or vba to look through an xml file and extract info from it

Well, you could simply open the file as a text file and then read each line and save the bits you want. But that is not how you would ideally want to handle the situation.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 09:23:58 AM »
Thanks for the article Se7en. Mr. Rath brings up a good point. It seems like it's .Net or die. The money train moves on!

To bad Autodesk doesn't give us some hint of what way they are going.

daron

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 09:28:32 AM »
They are very much going toward .net. Some of the things you use in LDD as well as throughout autocad are currently written in .net.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 09:43:14 AM »
they are gonna have to go to .net. everything is.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 09:50:11 AM »
Quote from: Daron
They are very much going toward .net. Some of the things you use in LDD as well as throughout autocad are currently written in .net.

Like what?

daron

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 10:07:00 AM »
I was told that this is. As well as project navigator. As well as product catalog. I don't know if you have one of those in LDD, but it's there in ADT.