Author Topic: Model Space/Model Space  (Read 2614 times)

POCKETS

Model Space/Model Space
« on: October 16, 2008, 04:41:50 PM »
Some where along the way I lost the post I just put together.  Don't know why.  I WILL try again.
I have a problem copying a client's drawing info from his model space to our model space.  Normally this is not a problem but with this client it is.  I select all and copy in his model space, go to our model space and paste and NOTHING happens.  I did see a problem in one of his viewports (some of the text was out side the viewport) and I tried to correct it and the only way I could was to make a new viewport and make the necessary changes.  Please, before I lose what little hair I have left, help.
Pockets

POCKETS

Re: Model Space/Model Space
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 04:44:02 PM »
One thing I did forget to mention is that the client uses release 2007 while I use 2004.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »
When you paste, are you getting anything on the command line?

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 04:51:05 PM »
That’s a funny avatar  :-D

POCKETS

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 04:56:54 PM »
command
_pasteclip
command

in that order

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 05:02:29 PM »
why not open both files at the same time

tile the viewports

then select his model space objects

drag them into your drawing window and select PASTE to ORIGINAL COORDINATES

if the objects are there you should get them....right where they where; added bonus no stupid unnamed blocks from the -pasteclip command left over!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

POCKETS

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 05:21:55 PM »
I don't recall ever doing what you have suggested.  Could you explain a bit more.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »
sure, this came out with version 2000, or 2000i

if one has multiple drawings open
on can use the WINDOW>>Tile function
select the objects one wants in the source file
select a grip, and then with a right click and a drag over to the destination window,
one may select from 3 or 4 options; one of which being Paste to Original Coordinates
moments later all of the source objects are copied into the destination drawing at their original coordinates

try it, you'll like it   ^-^
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 07:45:21 AM »
Not sure if this is what is happening to you or not because I use a much older version of AutoCAD than you, but ...

If the client's drawing contains any custom objects, for which you don't have an object handler installed, AutoCAD 2000i won't let you wblock anything out of the drawing or use copyclip to copy from that drawing to another one.  I don't know if that was still the case in AutoCAD 2004.

One thing you can do to get around the problem is to insert the clients entire drawing into yours, but of course then you will have infected your drawing with the same disease.

A better solution is to use DWG TrueConvert to convert the client's drawing (or a copy of it) to an R12 DWG.  R12 didn't support custom objects, so they will get stripped out of the file or converted into linework.

I hope that helps.

POCKETS

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 10:38:07 AM »
Mr. Farrell and Mr. Gabriel,
I greatly appreciate your help but the only way I could solve the problem was to get the client to save the drawings as Release 2000.
From there, it was a cake walk.  Just copy and paste.
Again, many thanks.
Pockets

Hedgehog

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 11:21:04 AM »
Isn't this an old problem affecting back-saved AutoCAD files...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=7450124&linkID=9240618

If you open or create a file in AutoCAD 2007 and save it in AutoCAD 2000 or AutoCAD Release 14 file formats and then open the drawing in AutoCAD 2000, 2000i, 2002 or AutoCAD Release 14 and attempt to cut and paste, copy and paste, block and insert, wblock and insert, or drag and drop objects, then these operations will fail.