CAD Forums > Land Lubber / Geographically Positioned

Simplify a C3D DEM surface?

(1/2) > >>

CHulse:
I have a surface in C3D created from a 1m DEM. It's very dense. I only need it for some visual topo and steep slope analysis (not for a design, just an FYI on the plan) so it doesn't need to be so detailed. The slope visualization is terrible as it is. Anyone have thoughts on a best method to reduce/simplify the surface to get the topo and steep slopes to display more smooth/simply?
Thanks

wizman:
Does turning on the level of detail help?

CHulse:
Thanks - Good thought, but I don't think so.
Per the help: "When you plot a drawing, the full detail of all objects will be included, even if level of detail mode is on."

wizman:
Convert the surface to DEM and use the Map tools in Civil 3D.  It might give better analysis and representation.

Edit:
I missed that it was originally from a DEM which can be used directly into Map.  Another idea, you can have overlapping two copies of the same surface.  Each having different styles.  One is showing the contours and the other surface contains only the shaded steep slopes from slope analysis.

CHulse:
That's exactly what I'm doing - 2 copies as separate xrefs, one showing contours and the other showing slope shading. The real issue was the density of the surface, it displayed very jagged contours and the slopes were crazy, all over the place. I've ended up simplifying the surface using the edit tools in the surface to reduce surface points (by like 95%) and apply smoothing. I think I have something workable now. I wasn't familiar with all the options for simplifying and smoothing - lots of options in the dialogs. So after much trial and error, I think I have a workable surface now. I guess my original question was about those tools and all the options - what's the best practice? I couldn't find much info on it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version