Author Topic: Autodesk .net api lags slowly  (Read 1678 times)

MarioR

• Newt
Autodesk .net api lags slowly
« on: February 03, 2023, 12:18:27 AM »
Hello,

we are currently using AutoCAD and Civil version 2022 in our company, I develop my plugins in .NET Framework 4.8.

Now there are more and more NuGet libraries (DotSpatial, Neo4J, ...) which are only delivered in the current .NET 6.0. Even a "compile down" to .NET 4.8 is not possible due to the new C# language options used.

Does Autodesk know anything about whether it will be switching from .NET Framework x.x to .NET 6.0 or higher in the foreseeable future?

Best regards
Mario

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
Re: Autodesk .net api lags slowly
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 01:12:46 AM »
Sure, Autodesk knows the answer : ) We won’t until there’s a new release. 

Unless Autodesk can figure out some sort of side-by-side loading system, I don’t see them supporting core yet.
They can’t just drop support for framework and break every existing app, can they?
Also, if you look back at core’s history, it’s always breaking binary compatibility and sometimes code compatibility.  Is it stable enough?

They’ll need some sort of orderly transition, new assemblies to reference, probably with another namespace.

“The code for Windows Forms for .NET 5 is a fork of the .NET Framework Windows Forms codebase. It's possible some differences exist and your app will be difficult to migrate.”

“Some APIs that are available in .NET Framework aren't available in .NET”

Was .NET just a big trap? We’ll see  :crazy2:

MarioR

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 01:53:38 AM »
Well, the discrepancy between continuity and modernisation is something we always have in programming.
On the one hand, you want to keep the code "alive" for a long time, but on the other hand, you can't really write a high-performance, thread-safe application that uses all cores with Win32 API ;-)

As a temporary solution, I will probably outsource the necessary part of the code to new .NET 6.0 parts and only exchange the data.

Let's wait and see...

best regards
Mario

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 04:35:06 PM »
Well, the discrepancy between continuity and modernisation is something we always have in programming.
On the one hand, you want to keep the code "alive" for a long time, but on the other hand, you can't really write a high-performance, thread-safe application that uses all cores with Win32 API ;-)

As a temporary solution, I will probably outsource the necessary part of the code to new .NET 6.0 parts and only exchange the data.

Let's wait and see...

best regards
Mario

Hi Mario,
I'd be interested in knowing how you go with that plan.
C#11 from .NET 7.0  working with  .NET Framework 4.8 stuck on C#7.3 and the wrapped AutoCAD libraries  may be a support disaster waiting to happen.  I haven't researched how the runtimes would handle it.
( though C#8.0 can be installed with Framework 4.8 but some features like nullables are not supported.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56651472/does-c-sharp-8-support-the-net-framework)

I look forward to seeing the results.

added:
This conveys my attitude : https://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=57939.0

Regards,
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 04:51:10 PM by kdub »
Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.