Author Topic: ISAVEPERCENT sysvar  (Read 4092 times)

capsochist

• Newt
ISAVEPERCENT sysvar
« on: November 01, 2022, 02:00:43 PM »
Hello there,

Was hoping that someone could help me better understand in simple terms what "wasted space" is defined as within an AutoCAD drawing... Looking into the sysvar of ISAVEPERCENT and trying to understand the relationship between AutoSave, QSAVE, and general file size. I under stand that "If this is increased, the amount of time used to save a drawing is decreased because there is a greater amount of empty space in the drawing. However, this usually results in a larger drawing file. Decreasing the value causes the drawing file to shrink in size. While a smaller file size will decrease the amount of time it takes to open a drawing, save operations can be slower.". Is this something that you have played with in the past?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/AutoCAD-Core/files/GUID-469DFA87-1986-4BDA-918B-1E3F9D6FCDC2-htm.html

Thank you,

57gmc

• Bull Frog
Re: ISAVEPERCENT sysvar
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 03:16:55 PM »
Perhaps this doc's wording makes a little more sense. This topic is also helpful.

This is a rather old sysvar dating to when hardware specs were not so great. Today's workstations don't really have a problem with slow save times. I just leave it at the default of 50. 0 means that acad will do a full save each time.

The 'wasted space' is a history list of the changes you've made. It gets cleared when you do a full save.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 03:39:38 PM by 57gmc »

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 04:12:05 PM »
I've had it set to 0 for years and don't notice "slow" saves.

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

capsochist

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 04:39:32 PM »
Perhaps this doc's wording makes a little more sense. This topic is also helpful.

This is a rather old sysvar dating to when hardware specs were not so great. Today's workstations don't really have a problem with slow save times. I just leave it at the default of 50. 0 means that acad will do a full save each time.

The 'wasted space' is a history list of the changes you've made. It gets cleared when you do a full save.

Excellent - thank you for the link to the documentation. Exactly what I needed to wrap my head around. Cheers!