Code Red > .NET

Disposing of DocumentLock Object

(1/1)

kdub_nz:
It's my understanding that LockDocument method requires a matching call to Dispose on the DocumentLock Object.

Usually this is achieved by the use of a using statement :

--- Code - C#: ---using (DocumentLock _documentLock = doc.LockDocument())    {    ;; code block..    )
The
--- Code: ---using(Transaction ... )
--- End code ---
is then started inside the code block.

Once the using statement for the DocumentLock ends the database is unlocked

similar to the 
--- Code: ---using (Transaction ... )
--- End code ---

Does the
--- Code: ---doc.CloseAndDiscard();
--- End code ---
    call negate the requirement to Dispose the  DocumentLock Object. ??

Regards,

It's Alive!:
I don’t think DocumentLock actually locks the database, I think it just prevents execution contexts
It’s not an AcDbObject, so I’m pretty sure that letting the garbage collector handle it is safe, Dispose only calls its destructor

BTW, doc.CloseAndDiscard(); calls the COM version of Document.close with the false parameter.

Also an FYI "The document does not need to be locked to open an AcDbObject in AcDb::kForRead, nor to get system variables."
according to the docs

kdub_nz:
Thanks Daniel, that's something to chew on.

The code I was looking at was changing Layer names in a side doc.
It just had 

--- Code - C#: ---Document doc = Application.DocumentManager.Open(dwgPath);;; etcdoc.LockDocument();try{    using (Transaction ... ...    {         ;;code block to find and change layer names         tr.Commit();      }     db.SaveAs(dwgPath, DwgVersion.Current);     doc.CloseAndDiscard();}catch( ;;; etc}  
It was being called from a Form, iterating over a list of selected drawings.
. . . a little buzzer went off in my brain when I saw the LockDocument() was not disposed.

Stay well !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version