Author Topic: Standards for Residential Submittals and other things...  (Read 878 times)

Tenuous Grasp

• Mosquito
  • Where's my trout?
Standards for Residential Submittals and other things...
« on: April 26, 2022, 02:01:35 PM »
It's been some time since I have had to sit down and do a full set of submittals. I am living in the South Carolina area and was wondering if anyone has some tips, pointers, opinions or just something to say regarding submittals for upscale residential projects. When I first discussed using this as a tool with my current employer, they were a bit shocked. Have I been out for so long that submittals by subcontractors aren't a thing anymore?

Please discuss.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: Standards for Residential Submittals and other things...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 02:31:07 PM »
Last fall I was thrown on a very high-end condo project (a client bought out a whole floor on one of a few new towers being built) and we did normal design-build plans for that project. But again that was a very upscale project; the "client" had their own arch, int designer, tech, security, etc. firm(s) so we all just ran it like a typical Arch and Eng project. So I guess I would mock it up as a plan, schedules, and selections type of package.

I know KeithB used to do high-end cabin designs so maybe he'll have a few suggestions.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 02:35:54 PM »
No submittals for me on high-end residential.The GC & Client has those details out.The GC has a standard package & the client can Upgrade from there.

I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

danAllen

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 06:38:47 PM »
In my experience submittals implies specs, and in custom residential we can barely get the contractor to read the drawings much less a bunch of specs. We're also lucky to ever get shop drawings, usually if anything they just mark up our cabinet elevations. One millworker I work with charges to do shops to make architects happy, but never uses them. He builds everything off story poles/sticks for field measurements.

Tenuous Grasp

• Mosquito
  • Where's my trout?
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 12:48:54 PM »
In my experience submittals implies specs, and in custom residential we can barely get the contractor to read the drawings much less a bunch of specs. We're also lucky to ever get shop drawings, usually if anything they just mark up our cabinet elevations. One millworker I work with charges to do shops to make architects happy, but never uses them. He builds everything off story poles/sticks for field measurements.

This is kind of the situation I am in. We need contract documents to contain scope creep. from both the customer side and our guys in the field (our field guys have a tendency to go cowboy regularly). I've done a couple jobs using Visio *shudder* but am finding that I need the flexibility for communicating special design requirements that I had when I used to do shops for architectural millwork. The owner likes the look and has enjoyed the ease of communicating the design to customers for selling higher end solutions. Hmmm... guess I'll have to wade through the waters with this one.