Author Topic: Details Paperspace or Modelspace?  (Read 5074 times)

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
Details Paperspace or Modelspace?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2005, 11:59:34 AM »
With all of discussion on how they charge for details and how they put them on the drawing,  I would like to know where they put them PS or MS and how they are annotated.  

It has been a great discussion.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

grush

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2005, 01:14:00 PM »
Quote from: TimSpangler
With all of discussion on how they charge for details and how they put them on the drawing,  I would like to know where they put them PS or MS and how they are annotated.  

It has been a great discussion.

He put mine in MS. He would not release the dwg file to me but I asked him and he said they have about 50+ typical that they insert in MS and vp them out as necessary. Each dimscale is on a different layer so they just pick the scale they want the detail to be shown and freeze the other layers. They also said that they mix notes between MS & PS in some cases.

Pete

Dinosaur

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2005, 01:27:06 PM »
. . . I would like to know where they put them PS or MS and how they are annotated . . .

All of m stuff was from in the early 90's in r10 and everything was in modelspace.  The details were all individual drawings that we blocked into empty titleblock sheets.

CADaver

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2005, 01:37:12 PM »
Quote from: Tim Riley
Why would you ever give a customer details that don't pertain to the job? If you ask me all that does is lead to confusion.
Only if your sheets are confusing.

If one of our customers read the wrong detail (trust me they have a hard enough time when you give them the right detail only), the concrete gets poured and our discharge piping doesn't line up with what's on the foundation we're in for a lot of heartache.
We are (at least I am) talking about generic details; ie: brace framing, pinned or moment base plates, moment end plates. Look HERE

I don't know about the industries you deal with but the municipal, and a good portion of the industrial, market will fight tooth and nail over $300.
Seen 'em fight over a lot less.

Also a good portion of the municipal engineers would reject your drawings if you submitted those types of details to them.
Haven't had any trouble yet, and we've worked with littluns' and biguns'

CADaver

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2005, 01:53:55 PM »
I would like to know where they put them PS or MS and how they are annotated.
Like Dinosaur, ours have been around for some time.  When R11 came out and we switched over to PS/MS, we left the full detail complete with annotation in MS, and added a border and border-type annotation in PS.  That way as we change clients, we just need to change the border/titleblock/logo.

pmvliet

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2005, 04:46:06 PM »
my train of thought is as follows.

For plain typical, generic details that can be used from job to job, keep the detail at a 1:1 scale, linework, dimensions, text etc... all together in modelspace. This makes it very easy to bring that detail into another job.
I prefer just about everything in modelspace but there are exceptions.

You or someone else mentioned about text and dimension styles. use one dimension style and text style. Change your dimscale accordingly for your particular detail. Same with text style. Different scales will have different scales. You may want a unique text style for details so that it stays independant of your drawing.

If it is just a drawing with details, I place it in  (+x, +y).
if there are plans and details, plan goes in (+x, +y) and details go in (+x,-y).

There are always exceptions. Something like wall sections could have the linework in modelspace and annotated in paperspace. But Usually a wall sections would be unique to the project and not taken to another project. But that is not always true as well...

On the side topic that this thread had taken. Some firms that do very repetitive type work (retail especially) where a project manager may have to review a store a day with 15-20 drawings, they want to see the same detail in the same place on each job. if it is used or not, he doesn't care, he wants the ease of knowing that detail is where it is in the prototype set. it would really mess with him, if we reorganized the set to condense the number of pages and his details are all over the place.

Pieter

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2005, 04:53:01 PM »
i draw them in model and plot them in model

sometimes i draw them in model and plot them in paper...

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2005, 08:28:52 PM »
tim,

I personaly prefert to see details in Modelspace..
why ?

Because you can use it with XREF and INSERT for other drawings if you need without readjusting some other variables like the ltscale and so on...

Also, if the problem is only the textsize...you can take a look to
HyperTEXT here..

http://www.caddepot.com/cgi-bin/cfiles/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,2033

this will adjust all TEXT and MTEXT in any Mview...
this freeware allow also to custom layer and color...

I hope that my post will be useful.

good luck.
Keep smile...