Author Topic: Pairing scripts to be run on associated drawings and batch processing  (Read 2683 times)

danAllen

• Newt
Re: Pairing scripts to be run on associated drawings and batch processing
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 04:21:49 PM »
I get the impression you don't like AutoCAD.

So can AutoCAD. The point about using `accoreconsole.exe` (a stripped down version of AutoCAD) is that you don't load the UI (user interface) so processing a 100+ or so drawings will take a few minutes vs an hour. ScriptPro used to be a way "faster way" to launch AutoCAD and run a script but it was so slow no one liked using it because a separate AutoCAD instance launched each time (ANNOYING!). ScriptPro died a long time ago.

This was my replacement for scriptpro (10 years ago when I used AutoCAD). ...yay! But the whole point to Automation is trying to be as quick as you can; a full blown interface is not efficient and neither is launching a program to run another program to automate (hence why I wrote the windows batch script; I dont have to launch anything to run a script).

Those are all good points, no disagreement. For the OP, perhaps learning to use accoreconsole.exe, edit batch scripts, etc would be too much. I only mentioned ScriptPro because OP did in first post. Lee Mac's Script Write may be more accessible than ScriptPro. http://www.lee-mac.com/scriptwriter.html

But I agree it could be to their benefit to learn your method. I did not mean to infer your solution was a bootstrap, I was thinking about my past experience. I'm sorry if I offended you.

I last used AutoCAD v2005. I recall at the time that in one session one drawing could not open another drawing and run lisp commands. It was necessary to write script files. At the time we used sweep.lsp by Looking Glass MicroProduct / Phil Kreiker to do batch processing, which created a master script by merging list of drawings with separate script of actions. When I switched to BrisCAD I learned one drawing could open and control another drawing through simple lisp, without using more advanced ObjectDBX.

The only thing I didn't like about AutoCAD was the price, thus the switch to BricsCAD.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 04:35:04 PM »
The utility by Lee looks to be just a script WRITER not a script RUNNER.

I don't know how much easer to make things than drag-n-drop or double clicking. Sorry. And honestly, those two options sound far easier to use then launching a program, creating, loading and then running lisps. Sorry, again.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

danAllen

• Newt
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 04:54:54 PM »
You may be right. My mileage varies.

FYI (for others), if you don't have AutoCAD, accoreconsole.exe is installed by default with the free Autodesk DWG TrueView. (Which I just discovered - thank you Search Everything - https://www.voidtools.com/ )

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2021, 10:55:58 PM »
Nice pick up about True view for Bricscad users etc.
A man who never made a mistake never made anything