Author Topic: Structural columns  (Read 18462 times)

• Bull Frog
Structural columns
« on: January 12, 2004, 12:21:29 PM »
I have a problem with structural columns.
On a colleague’s machine, (Dual Pentium, 1Gb RAM Windows 2000, ADT3.3) I have positioned some structural columns, and have used the ADT grid. The columns snap to the grid points, and I have then given them, an insertion offset to position them at the correct points. This all works fine, and I can Xref the plans around and the columns display in the correct positions.
However. There are a couple of workstations in my office, that are not displaying the columns where he has positoned them. When the machines in question (Pentium 2.6Ghz, 1Gb RAM, Windows XP Prof, ADT 3.3) open the drawings up, all of the columns have defaulted to being centrally positoned on the grid points, and not where the justification, or offset indicates!
Is there a variable that I am missing, as it is only a few machines which are doing this.
Thanks in advance
Alastair Mallett Autodesk Certified Professional
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

daron

Structural columns
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 12:34:53 PM »
I don't know, and I really see no way to test this out. I  am trying to get someone more knowledgable than myself to look at this. I e-mailed him. Hopefully, he'll show up and offer some thoughts.

hyposmurf

Structural columns
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 03:12:09 PM »
Only variables I can think of are the GRIPMODE & GRIPUNITS.Are the grid spacings set on each PC the same?If they arent and a user XREF's in the drawing to the same position, then the grid would appear to be in a different place.

daron

Structural columns
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 03:14:03 PM »
Not the same kind of grid Hypo. This grid is an actual object.

hyposmurf

Structural columns
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 03:17:19 PM »
Oh!Is this one dedicated to ADT?Would explain why I havent heard of it. :oops:

Paul F. Aubin

Structural columns
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 03:19:48 PM »
If you have used the offset option on the right click menu, or manually edited the anchor properties to shift the column, this is a physical move and would be evident in all views and on all machines. It would be highly unlikely, but there could be something going on with the display of structural members on the second machine. However, it might be something much less esoteric. Have you double-checked the XREF paths? Perhaps machine 2 is finding an older version of the file via XREF before the edit was made?

Hope that helps.

paul

Paul F. Aubin
paubin@paulaubin.com
Buy Mastering Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2004, R3 and
Autodesk Architectural Desktop: An Advanced Implementation Guide online at:
www.paulaubin.com

daron

Structural columns
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 03:21:48 PM »
Thanks Paul.

• Bull Frog
Structural columns
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 06:25:16 PM »
Ok, thank you for your replies. Three of us checked through the variables on two machines that show the grid correctly and one machine that is showing the incorrect location and found no significant differences. The xref is correct. One other oddity when we xrefed in the first floor of the same building, (the grids were created by cutting and pasting from the ground floor at 0,0,0 and inserting at 0,0,0). The first time the drawing was opened on my machine (Pentium 2.6Ghz, 1Gb RAM, Windows XP Prof, ADT 3.3) the grid displayed correctly, but not subsequently. It does not matter if it is the original drawing or the xref.
The last piece of Christmas cake for the first person to point us in the right direction.
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

Dent Cermak

Structural columns
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 07:18:50 PM »
To your left !! Did I win ?

deegeecees

Structural columns
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 07:28:42 PM »
Check the UCS Origin. This may be the problem.

hyposmurf

Structural columns
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 08:42:04 AM »
Have you tried recreating the same scenario again in a different drawing?Then youll know if its related to that drawing alone.Or maybe use a similar xref and see if it occurs again on the same workstations.

• Bull Frog
Structural columns
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2004, 08:58:42 AM »
Nope. Or yes, or I don't know. New dwg, new xref, new hair do nothing changes. Is it me?
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

daron

Structural columns
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2004, 10:12:46 AM »
Wait, you drew it as a new drawing on the bad computer and got the same results?

• Bull Frog
Structural columns
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 04:30:51 AM »
No I misunderstood your question. We have not got round to recreating the original drawing on the rouge computer yet.

However this will mess with your heads. I can open a drawing with the ground floor and first floor xrefed in; the ground floor has displaced columns whilst the first floor does not. BUT if I open the first floor plan the columns ARE displaced!!
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

• Bull Frog
Structural columns
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2004, 04:17:22 PM »
We have appeared to have solved the problem.
The original structural column had in insert position of bottom left, and the the column was offset from the grid by 92mm in each direction. When we amended the insert to the centre of the column and then offset the column by 162mm in each direction the correct column was visable in all machines either via the original drawing or in an xref.
Any other problems bring them on..... :lol:
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects