Author Topic: Thinking through an excel driven parametric tank.  (Read 428 times)

Lonnie

• Newt
Thinking through an excel driven parametric tank.
« on: August 11, 2021, 03:38:34 PM »

I have an excel sheet to create tanks. I also have Revit tanks I have to create from said excel spreadsheet.

We do this quite often.
I am thinking that it might be possible to have an excel driven schedule driving the tank. (The schedule drives the tank creation now.)

Is this possible? Can your excel spreadsheet change per Revit model or would it break?

If possible and it's something people think they would like how would I set it up here? I can supply a tank family and a spreadsheet. Would it be better to do a simple vertical tank or would people want to take on a chiseled bottom.

Right now I use the spreadsheet to get the size I need then I create the tank.

Any ideas?

Lonnie

• Newt
Re: Thinking through an excel driven parametric tank.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 12:00:34 PM »
Here is the question put a bit more succinctly.

I want to link a schedule that drives a family. (Already done.)
I also want to link an excel spreadsheet to the schedule that drives the family. (I can do this I think pretty easily.)

My question is can I move my linked spreadsheet/schedule/family to other projects without breaking the excel link.

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 01:24:18 PM »
You can link a excel file to a family (I know you can link a CSV; but those are "dumb" -i.e. no calcs)?
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Lonnie

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 01:45:33 PM »
yes and no.  I think in 2022 it's native but I've got no jobs in it. As for your question there are a BUNCH of free linking programs out there. Most of the dealers have one. My dealer is  D3 TECHNOLOGIES now. My dealer before was PACIFICAD who was eaten IMAGINIT. They both had one.

From my very basic understanding you create your schedule and export (weather native or the apps I don't know.) it. Once this is done the link is established. You can then use excel to drive the schedule.

My problem is my IT dept is pretty strict. If I am going to go through the PAIN of getting it from my dealer I want to make sure it works for what I want. I am fairly sure I can put it in my template and have it work but I am not so sure adding it to a project will.

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=6290726048826015851&appLang=en&os=Win64 in app store is just one.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 05:13:16 PM by Lonnie »

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 03:10:41 PM »
Ah. Yes, I had a PM insist I use Excel schedules on one project (what a PITA).

So just to clarify, we cannot use a simple lookup table (-i.e. the tank sizes are not std and shift by inches in either direction) will not work. -e.g. a look up table like a pipe, or pipe fitting dimension table. Something like that can easily be done but other then that I suspect the linking/dynamic mechanism will break your layouts too often to be useful.  However, I would like to play a little. 

My schedules are native Revit schedules that work on family parameters so when I change either the family or the schedule all my stuff changes. I assume the tank schedules are too involved to be replaced as revit schedules?
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Lonnie

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 03:46:51 PM »
My tanks sizes are determined by the spreadsheet. Once I understand the sizes I change my schedules and my tanks change. (Ok SOMETIMES I have to go into the family and change a few things by hand.)

Here's a simple example schedule of a slopped bottom tank I can use more parameters if needed to accomplish my tanks look and feel. To get those sizes I have to take into consideration.
Usage time (How quick it's going to empty in the job.) this determines how long the plant can run before cleanup.
fill capacity (How close to the top can I get.)
footprint of tank. (how wide or how tall can I make it.)
footprint of building. (often we have to make runtimes smaller to fit all the tanks inside.)
Angle of chisel. (Some solid materials just don't fall down real well.)

It's all a balance. There are times my tanks will change a tank 15 20 times as we figure out the optimum run time for the plant.  If I can automate it that's one less liability point. Right now we have to go over the numbers before we send out prints just to make sure they are right. If an engineer can bypass me altogether I like it.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 05:18:26 PM by Lonnie »