Author Topic: COGO point label masking weirdness  (Read 8234 times)

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
COGO point label masking weirdness
« on: April 05, 2021, 04:04:37 PM »
I've been seeing some odd behavior with cogo point label masks since we moved to C3D 2020. The label mask takes on the color of the point layer but only when it is printed. I've tried several different PDF printer configs and gotten the same result with all of them. I've attached an example. If the point layer color is one that prints black, the label ends up as just a black box. Oddly, the labels and masks all appear as you would expect them to in the model and in paperspace in cad. They only show up this way when printed. I've tried every combination of style settings I can think of to resolve it. This would actually be a really nice option to have if I could actually control it.
So I'm wondering is anyone has seen this behavior or has any suggestions to control it?

Thanks
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager
Wetland Studies and Solutions

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

jvillarreal

• Bull Frog
Re: COGO point label masking weirdness
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 03:47:15 PM »
Looks like the same bug noted here:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-forum/civil3d-2018-plotting-parcel-label-masking-bug/td-p/7049904

If this is the case, turning off "Plot transparency" will print the background masks as expected.

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 08:47:53 AM »
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, my tree symbology relies on layer transparency to display correctly, so I can't turn that off. Lately, my work around has been to create a duplicate set of points to drive the labeling separate from the symbology. Far from ideal, but at least it works.
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

steve.carson

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 11:32:16 AM »
Have you tried giving the layer the points are on a color of 255,255,255? Then you could have 3 point styles to control the color of the tree symbol.

Not positive it would work, just thinking out loud.

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 07:09:50 AM »
In follow-up to this, I've finally found a solution.
After much fiddling, I discovered that adding something like a circle or pline on top of the hatch or gradient entity in the block seems to eliminate this behavior. Nothing I tried with the actual label style or point style settings made any difference in the behavior.
So I've now added a small circle on a non-plotting layer to each of my block entities and this fixed it for me.

Cheers
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023