Author Topic: What are the best academic journals for studying the 3D CAD software industry?  (Read 2058 times)

Acon

• Mosquito
What are the best academic journals for studying the 3D CAD software industry (more on the commercial side)?

Hi guys, I’m doing some research about how the 3D CAD software systems (Solidworks, Inventor, Fusion 360, ZW3D, Rhinoceros, etc) are having impacts on their users, especially but not only on the financial side. E.g. how much does a user averagely need to spend (per year or in lifetime basis, perpetual or subscription-based license) if they choose, say a middle-range 3D CAD program to work with for their industrial design work. I’m also interested in how an average user is satisfied by their choice(s); what are their biggest complaints about their 3D CAD software choice, what are their biggest concerns, etc.

I want to read some unbiased answers based on academic-ish research. I hope I can get some names of journals focusing on these sides of stories. In that case I can start doing my own research based on these objective articles and maybe writing something myself.

Anyone can help? Thanks in advance.

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
Not from an academic journal,  but you are making a fundamental mistake regarding users and licensing.  That is, for the overwhelming number of licenses for CAD (or other professional software) users neither own nor pay for the license.  Other than a relatively small number of one-man shops, or small partnerships, the licenses are owned by the employer/corporation/business entity.

CAD users typically are NOT employed in the same fashion as automobile mechanics; that is we do not own our own tools/equipment and take them to the employer's shop to work.   There are a lot of reasons for that state of affairs, from historical norms to tax loopholes, and exceptions for contract workers, but by and large, the actual cost of a license is borne by the business entity, and not directly by the user.
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

Acon

• Mosquito
Hi cadtag,

Thanks heaps! You're absolutely right. Shouldn't confuse the idea of a user and the actual owner of the software, which we usually call a client.

Do you know where is the best place to get a good whole picture of the industry? As a 12 year CAD user, I'm quite familiar with some history of the main CAD packages but we need more commercial insights of the current jungle.

Cheers.

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
the writer who seems to pay the most attention to the business side is Ralph Grabowski,  if anyone can point you in a good direction, he probably can. see  www.upfrontezine.com
The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

Acon

• Mosquito
upFront.eZine and Ralph Grabowski's work seem to be very valuable. Thank you cadtag!  :-) Their email subscription mechanism is not working for some reason though.

Any other good learning resources is welcome.

Regards,