Author Topic: Showing elevation dimension on drawings  (Read 1844 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Showing elevation dimension on drawings
« on: December 10, 2020, 12:03:51 PM »
OK, this may come as a shock to many, but in all my years doing architectural and structural design, not one (in literally thousands of homes) have I ever been asked to show the elevation dimension on a set of plans. If it was ever required, it was always done by someone else or simply inferred that the floor of the home would actually be above flood plain at nn feet or whatever.

I am now asked to show on the elevations for the first time in 32 years the distance above sea level as it relates to the 100 year flood zone.

This home is required to be 36" above the 100 year flood level which has been set at 83'-0".

I suppose I could simply put a line across the bottom of the floor framing and with an elevation mark showing +86'-0" above sea level but I don't want a silly builder to think the house has to be +86'-0" above grade. How would they do that anyway?

What is the correct and/or most acceptable way to denote this without causing confusion? Maybe one of you that work in the really crazy parts of the country could fill me in on this tidbit of knowledge because I am drawing blanks here.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

cadtag

• Swamp Rat
Re: Showing elevation dimension on drawings
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 12:35:41 PM »
Generally, label on the floor plan sheet as "FFE=86.00"

Only use decimals, not Ft-In syntax for elevation data.  Also should indicate on the plans or notes what the vertical system is,  NAVD 88?  NGVD 29?

Most of the jurisdictions I deal with are NAVD,  but City of Miami Beach is still using NGVD

The only thing more dangerous to the liberty of a free people than big government is big business

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: Showing elevation dimension on drawings
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 12:38:04 PM »
Awesome!
I am still wondering how I managed to do this for so many years without ever having to deal with this. I've even designed dozens of homes in Miami-Dade
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie