Author Topic: Enterprise vs Main CUIx Clarification  (Read 3657 times)

capsochist

• Newt
Enterprise vs Main CUIx Clarification
« on: March 13, 2020, 02:18:35 PM »
Hi There,

Is an enterprise customization file necessary? I have created a partial customization file for my office. Currently, I maintain the customization file in a location on the server that is read only to all others but myself. From there, I have a deployment set that maps to to each user's local machine - which is where CAD options points.

In an experiment to better understand Enterprise CUIx I merged my partial customization with the Civil3D CUIx, then saved it as our Enterprise CUIx file. I understand why I am getting an error message that the default / main CUIx file is unable to be loaded because the customization group already exists (the file is loaded twice and that this occurs when an enterprise cuix loads a cuix as a partial customization file and then the main cuix tries to load the same one).

What is the best way to clean this up if I need to go the route of Enterprise CUIx?
1. Remove the Civil3D CUI and only map my partial customization as an Enterprise?
2. Maintain my current workflow - knowing that I have a write protected customization file in safe keeping?

For clarity, the reason for my exploration into Enterprise CUI is that a handful of users have been experiencing drag and slow performance since loading the partial customization CUI from our shared server.  I have since created a deployment that essentially "robocopies" from the server to their local machine each night, making sure they have the most recent file. This also seems to help for folks working out of office.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Lonnie

• Newt
Re: Enterprise vs Main CUIx Clarification
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 06:40:18 PM »
For me it's worth the time.

That's an interesting question. It depends on how well behaved are your people and how many people do you support? For me the answer is an enterprise menu is essential. I have a workspaces setup for Controls, Mechanical, Electrical and refrigeration. Anyone is allowed to create a workgroup, custom lisp or pgp file that wants to but I only support the enterprise stuff. If there is a problem with their setup I can set them back to my settings very easy (4 keystrokes basically).
I have to maintain 2 environments and two flavors floating and standalone license.
1.   Network    2.   Desktop
My installs will do all the work for me. (One trusted folder and one lisp are all my changes for installing the software)  I just have to message them every year for new vars.

Maintaining this setup for 5 offices and 150 engineers takes very little time every year as I keep up with my Revit license. Well worth the initial changeover time and at this point it's bulletproof. One place to make all my changes.

capsochist

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 12:11:18 PM »
Thanks for the thought, Lonnie -

I'm currently working to configure my Enterprise CUI for Civil 3D. For some reason all of the icons disappear on my whenever the enterprise file loads. It's driving me mad. Has this ever happened to you?

Lonnie

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 01:12:02 PM »
Only when I am playing around do I have that problem. I've never had the rest of the company have it.
 I find that if I remove any .mnr file contained in the folder where custom cuix-file sits it cleans it up. As an FYI I also find sometimes that I have to remove the .mnr and mnx files from the local folders if they are creating their own quick access with the enterprise menu.

capsochist

• Newt
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 01:36:12 PM »
Thanks, I think I got it resolved!

Lonnie

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 02:14:35 PM »
I just downloaded the Trial 2021 Autocad to work on the Enterprise menu. 

Lonnie

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 12:32:53 PM »
Caps
What your opinion on using an Enterprise menu verses a partial menuload now that you've tried it?

capsochist

• Newt
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 05:11:17 PM »
Caps
What your opinion on using an Enterprise menu verses a partial menuload now that you've tried it?

Hi Lonnie,

Been a while since I've visited the swamp and I am reporting back with a huge CUI customization headache. I just posted another question to this topic.

The enterprise works great for keeping things simple and standard. The problem that I am experiencing now is that the functionality of the MAP.cuix has disappeared (because it is not loading as a partial). I used the C3D.cuix OOTB as my starting point. Maybe you have some thoughts?

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=56264.0

Trying to move our firm to the "Cloud" for all our standards and this has been a thorn in my side.