Author Topic: Visual LISP Extension for Microsoft Visual Studio  (Read 3652 times)

Rustabout

• Newt
Visual LISP Extension for Microsoft Visual Studio
« on: July 29, 2020, 11:10:26 PM »
So anyone use it or try it? How does it work? Has it made you switch from VLIDE?

Thanks!!

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: Visual LISP Extension for Microsoft Visual Studio
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 10:35:53 AM »
I briefly looked into it and took some initial notes which you can find here:
https://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=55696.msg598040#msg598040

By no means exhaustive; it was only an cursory look (about an hour).
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rustabout

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 11:05:14 PM »
Thanks for the link! That's actually the post I was thinking of when I posted this topic. I was hoping you had time to get around to trying out the "debugging/send to AutoCAD" part. None the less, the information contained will be invaluable when I finally make time to try out the plugin.

domenicomaria

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 02:43:09 AM »
So anyone use it or try it? How does it work? Has it made you switch from VLIDE?

Thanks!!

Is it possible
to switch from VISUAL STUDIO and VLIDE ?
(and viceversa)

If YES, what is the way ?

domenicomaria

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 03:05:45 AM »
LISPSYS !

jtoverka

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 09:27:11 AM »
Has it made you switch from VLIDE?

I made the switch and it is superior to VLIDE.

togores

• Mosquito
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 05:32:38 PM »
I have seen that VSCode has a lot of cool features, but forcing people to change work habits is usually not welcome. Maybe Autodesk should put in the Marketplace an Extension that can be used with previous releases. This way many people that do not have access to 2021 could start testing it right now.I have tested the other ones available, the one by garciadelcastillo looks good, but does no seem to have a Debug Adapter.
Also, one of the most interesting features in VSCode is Source Control Management (SCM) that is lacking in VLIDE, but there is nothing about it in the AutoCAD documentation.
About the MAKELISPAPP command, I believe it should have the option of creating a FAS instead of a VLX if only LSP files are selected. It should also include those features from the VLISP Project that are missing like:
-Choosing Internal link mode, so the compiler tries to resolve all explicit function calls by referencing the function's definition in memory.
-Selecting Localize variables, so the compiler would also remove all local symbol names directly linking their references.
-We could also select Safe optimize to reject problematic optimizations.
-Full reports Message Mode so we have all the information including errors, warnings and compiler statistics.
In other words, AutoCAD could merge the Project window that is now missing if VLIDE > 0 with the MAKELISPAPP Wizard window in order to preserve all these options.

I have been considering how to update the books I've written on Visual LISP to the new situation with the projected phasing out of VLIDE. But it seems to me that all this, the AutoLISP extension for VS Code, the LISPSYS environments, and the MAKELISPAPP workaround are a bit inmature.
As a temporary solution I decided to publish an addendum to both my English and Spanish books, rewriting those chapters that deal with the VLISP IDE to the new VS Code option. In the Spanish version I have experimented with changing the default user interface language by installing the Spanish Language Pack.

For those who may be interested, the books are now available in Amazon:
English: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087646CY6
Spanish: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087SGS4TG

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 06:11:18 PM »
Thanks for the link! That's actually the post I was thinking of when I posted this topic. I was hoping you had time to get around to trying out the "debugging/send to AutoCAD" part. None the less, the information contained will be invaluable when I finally make time to try out the plugin.

Thanks for the thought. Hope it was a good post for you. Sorry, no, I haven't had a chance. However, I do not have 2021 so I doubt I would be able to get to that portion anytime soon.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 06:23:40 PM »
Jeeze .. I walk away from the Industry for a year or so and they finally decide to drag themselves into the 20th century :)

Hope the book is received well Reinaldo.

John, I've noticed that you've been doing some work setting up projects automagically ... nice stuff !

From past experience, it may take a couple years to shake out the bugs and develop a good workflow.

Good fortune all !!

Stay Well.
Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 06:28:35 PM »
The VSCode extension is a good solution for Autodesk because then they have less to maintain (saving themselves money) while offering the end user the ability to utilize an industry std editor.

When I coded in Autolisp I never used the VLIDE and I wasn't alone; I know several people who have favorite text editors. Although, using your own editor you don't have access to the debugging (I understand newer developers would want that).

Donate to TheSwamp.org

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 06:29:18 PM »
Jeeze .. I walk away from the Industry for a year or so and they finally decide to drag themselves into the 20th century :)

Hope the book is received well Reinaldo.

John, I've noticed that you've been doing some work setting up projects automagically ... nice stuff !

From past experience, it may take a couple years to shake out the bugs and develop a good workflow.

Good fortune all !!

Stay Well.

I hope it gets used.

Donate to TheSwamp.org

kdub_nz

• Mesozoic keyThumper
  • SuperMod
  • Water Moccasin
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 09:59:17 PM »
The VSCode extension is a good solution for Autodesk because then they have less to maintain (saving themselves money) while offering the end user the ability to utilize an industry std editor.
< .. >
Also, no-one in the place actually knew how it worked ... true story.
Called Kerry in my other life
Retired; but they dragged me back in !

I live at UTC + 13.00

---
some people complain about loading the dishwasher.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer.

Rustabout

• Newt
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 07:37:42 PM »
How does the Visual LISP extension handle DCL?

I know I know, I should just go try it ;-)

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2020, 09:19:12 PM »
Releasing extensions for say 2018 + would get lots of users like me. I have 2020 not 2021.
A man who never made a mistake never made anything