Author Topic: Embeding Images or PDFs into dwgs  (Read 2041 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Embeding Images or PDFs into dwgs
« on: August 03, 2020, 04:39:53 PM »
Just a general question. What is the best way to embed images or pdfs into dwgs, so they are no referencing external folders?

Also, Will the quality still be the same as if it was being referenced?

Sometimes sending out a dwg that has the images attached we forget to etransmitt or zip them together. It seems easier to have the stay embedded.

Thanks for any feedback!
Civil3D 2020

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Crank

• Water Moccasin
Re: Embeding Images or PDFs into dwgs
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 07:07:36 AM »
For images I allways use the INSERTOBJ command, but you can also use PASTESPECIAL

For vector-PDFs I use PDFIMPORT.
Raster-PDFs are first printed as an image.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 07:27:42 AM »
Thanks guys for sharing the information. Even if you have PDF that does not have vector information in it, how does it get embedded into the dwg? Do you have to manually save it out as a TIFF, then pastespecial?
Civil3D 2020

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 01:01:47 PM »
Yes, but it's good to know that PASTESPECIAL has less options than INSERTOBJ and PASTESPECIAL changes te resolution.

Even if you want a lower resolution it's better to use a paint program first. All those programs have a better algoritms to reduce the resolution than Autocad, so the result will be sharper. You can also reduce the resulution with exactly 50% in stead of a random scale.

With INSERTOBJ it's also possible to use the original resolution so the result is always sharper than when you use PASTESPECIAL.

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 02:03:31 PM »
I sorry for beating a dead horse. Ultimately I am wanting to take municipality details and embed them into dwgs. They are usually 8.5 x 11. That is why I was wondering about resolution and clarity versus putting them in a dwg without the clarity.

I see you use INSERTOBJ a lot. What would be your steps to bring a PDF detail (That has no vectors)? Each time I try I usually see that it is grainy or there is an icon which appears.

Civil3D 2020

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 02:41:23 PM »
I don't use it much, because it makes the .dwg heavy/slow, but we have a foto in our titleblock, so I've studied this to to minimize the impact of that.

With INSERTOBJ it's possible to embed an .PDF file, but the resolution is low.
It's better to show the .PDF on screen @ 100% , make a screen capture [WIN+SHIFT+S]. Then INSERTOBJ > PaintBrush > Paste [CTRL+V] > Close Paint