Author Topic: What other programming languages do you code besides LISP?  (Read 2029 times)

Rustabout

• Newt
...and did LISP help you learn these additional codes?

Many of the coders here seem more talented than some of the well-paid full-time computer programmers I've met. I'm curious what other codes you guys like to dabble in!

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: What other programming languages do you code besides LISP?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 09:30:22 AM »
I mainly use C/C++ these days. Yes, I started off with Lisp (that was a jumping off language for me as well). I played around with Lisp reading tutorials and whatnot until I took an online course of "MIT's Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" which actually taught me about lisp and computer programming. A few people I knew at the time told me to get into other languages besides Lisp and I choose C/C++ because I wanted to code for a BSD project (but never did). I now write programs for my laptop and home server and family.

As far as which languages do I use?

Programming languages I use:
C++ & C - Main Languages (although, I'm learning more about C at the moment)
Lisp - Very little these days

Programming Languages I've used (most are for a project but never long term use):
VB/A
Basic
Swift
java/script
C#
probably more

Minor languages (too many to list/remember):
Lua (learning now)
VimL
Bash
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 09:38:37 PM »
For me around 40 years with Lisp a few dabbles into VBA in partivualr  excel -> <- Autocad

John Kaul do you have a copy of lisp2c it existed when Autodesk produced the ADS function way back like R12 it converts lisp to C code. May be handy for you.
A man who never made a mistake never made anything

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 09:59:00 PM »
For me around 40 years with Lisp a few dabbles into VBA in partivualr  excel -> <- Autocad

John Kaul do you have a copy of lisp2c it existed when Autodesk produced the ADS function way back like R12 it converts lisp to C code. May be handy for you.
No I don't but that sounds interesting. I'll PM you an email address.

R12 is way before my time. I got educated on AutoCAD 2000 and in my internship I used R14 (R14 was rock solid compared to any version I've used since then).
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 10:45:37 PM »
I've used all of the following, some more than others:
Assembly
Basic (plus GWBasic and QBasic)
Batch (yes you can actually write some pretty cool stuff scripting in batch files)
C
C++
C#
CSS
Fortran
HTML
Java
JavaScript
Lisp (plus Visual Lisp and DCL)
Perl
PHP
PowerShell
Ruby
SQL
VB (regular and .NET varieties)
VBA
VBScript

Now I know that some of these are simply markup languages and some are interpretive, but each has their own niche that makes them more or less suited for a particular environment or task.

QBasic was the first language I ever used. I wrote my first program in 1980. it was a game where an airplane would fly across the screen at a random speed and you had to decide when to jump out of the plane so you could safely land on the correct spot. Points were awarded based on how close you got to the intended mark.

The hardest language I ever learned was QBasic … not because it is the hardest to learn, but because it was my FIRST one to learn. Once you understand the concept, picking up another programming language is as simple as understanding the syntax and coding rules.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Rustabout

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 06:02:06 PM »
Quite the extensive resumes!

Only LISP here but I did introductory courses into Python and C#. I absolutely love programming, but owing to my ability level and natural aptitude it's not the most practical usage of my free time. If I can somehow squeeze out a couple extra hours of motivation per week I might go ahead and learn either Python or C#. The only reason I haven't dipped into Python is the absence of dialog boxes. It seemed very easy to learn for someone coming from LISP. C# had a much steeper learning curve.

Dlanor

• Bull Frog
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 03:57:30 AM »
Python has dialog boxes eg "PyAutoGUI".

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 04:52:03 PM »
Quite the extensive resumes!

Only LISP here but I did introductory courses into Python and C#. I absolutely love programming, but owing to my ability level and natural aptitude it's not the most practical usage of my free time. If I can somehow squeeze out a couple extra hours of motivation per week I might go ahead and learn either Python or C#. The only reason I haven't dipped into Python is the absence of dialog boxes. It seemed very easy to learn for someone coming from LISP. C# had a much steeper learning curve.

Actually, it only has a steeper learning curve because you believe it to be.
Incrementalism is the key to writing any software .. that and a great reference guide for the built in functions. Everything else is simply learning the grammar and punctuation of the language.

You can be lost in stupid parenthesis or you can be caught up in a code block with an out of place curly brace. Either way, once you learn the grammar and punctuation, it's as simple as figuring out the various functions that you need to do the task at hand.

Remember, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Step out and you will be surprised how quickly you can learn it.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie