Author Topic: CAD Performance With LISP Vs Vanilla  (Read 5349 times)

npstewart87

• Mosquito
CAD Performance With LISP Vs Vanilla
« on: May 06, 2020, 05:34:53 PM »
Hello.

Everytime AutoCAD comes out with a new lease (ACAD 2021) I normally download it and one of the first things I do is load up all of my LISP routines & menus. Once I do this, the new version of AutoCAD runs great! However, after a few days of running the new program, it seems to bog down severely and ends up performing like the previous autocad version. However, in all cases, if I revert my autocad back to vanilla by changing the profile, it runs very smoothly like when I first installed it but once I connect my routines and menus, it immediately slows back down.

Does anyone know what may be causing all of this? I feel like I never get to take advantage of all of the performance enhancements issued by autocad because my machine is bogged down with these routines. On the other hand, I absolutely would be useless if I ran vanilla CAD.

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
Re: CAD Performance With LISP Vs Vanilla
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 12:08:29 AM »
You need to look at what your loading, if your loading all your lisps that puts a overhead, I normally load as required using a If not to see if its loaded, if your using lots of reactor code may slow it down also.
A man who never made a mistake never made anything

tombu

• Bull Frog
  • ByLayer=>Not0
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 08:22:48 AM »
Like BIGAL I've got hundreds of lisp routines but rarely use more than a dozen in a drawing session and almost all are loaded as needed. About 6 of those are loaded with acaddoc.lsp and another handful using autoload http://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2021/ENU/?guid=GUID-421B36DE-38EA-4161-9768-01647B5492E8 or acet-autoload2 (examples in acetauto.lsp found in Express folder installed with Express Tools) so they load and run from keyboard entry. The rest are loaded as needed and run when selected from the interface.

Cannot even imagine what would happen if they were all loaded at once for every drawing I have open. That could easily be over a thousand lisp loaded into memory at the same time.

Example Macro (or tests until nonil so if the lisp command C:ed is not defined the lisp is loaded. Either way ed is run afterwards.)
Code: [Select]
^P(or C:ed (load "ent_dir.lsp"));ed
Tom Beauford P.S.M.
Leon County FL Public Works - Windows 7 64 bit AutoCAD Civil 3D

npstewart87

• Mosquito
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 08:32:30 AM »
Im not really sure that they are all necessarily loading at once. I honestly didnt write these or set these up. The menus & routines were created by someone much smarter then me (A former employee).

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone or a service that I could pay hourly to optimize all of this for me? Any Resource would be greatly appreciated.

Dlanor

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 09:25:06 AM »
Before doing that, decide what you need to have to do the majority of your work and how you work. Since my workflow changes depending on the current project, I have several profiles set up that cover different aspects, and even then I only use about 10% of the setup toolbars in a given profile. I don't use the ribbon prefering the "classic" setup, and since toolbars were minimal when I started learning, everything was controlled by shortcuts in the pgp file which still works well for my workflow. For me, typing L and a right mouse click for the line command, is faster than trying to find the line icon on a toolbar.   

npstewart87

• Mosquito
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 10:05:26 AM »
I know enough about this to make small changes but I normally will break something when I try to be too ambitious with it. I know what im good at and what im not good at and im definitely not good at weeding through profiles, menus, ribbons, routines etc.

Ideally, I could find someone that is good at this that could omit the stuff that is bogging everything down, AND, someone that I could email requested changes to on a regular basis. Many of the changes I need are just modifying what I already have.

I spend about 12 hours every day working in Autocad and these menus & routines are the heart of my business.

At the end of last year I was so desperate that I ended up building a custom computer that was stupidly expensive. Everything runs great, except autocad.   

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 10:07:14 AM »
I've noticed slower XREF reloads with AutoCAD 2021 vs previous releases. Has anyone else see this behavior?

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

npstewart87

• Mosquito
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 10:25:43 AM »
I have noticed this as well but I thought it was because they added the ability to compare changes between xrefs automatically.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 10:58:19 AM »
I have noticed this as well but I thought it was because they added the ability to compare changes between xrefs automatically.
Probably the case, but adding a 'feature' that slows down something else critical is a waste IMO.

Custom Build PC

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 12:52:09 PM »
In what manner do you mean slower loading xref's? I was going to say Data References seem to take awhile to load. Have you guys noticed anything like that?
Civil3D 2020

jtoverka

• Newt
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 01:02:43 PM »
You need to look at what your loading, if your loading all your lisps that puts a overhead, I normally load as required using a If not to see if its loaded, if your using lots of reactor code may slow it down also.

I also use a lot of reactor code, I have optimized it to the best of my ability. However, I notice such a drastic exponential slowdown when I open many drawings at once. To the point that it will freeze.
Because of the very noticeable performance decrease, I have disabled my reactors for the time being.

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 09:15:08 AM »
Quote from: ronjonp
Probably the case, but adding a 'feature' that slows down something else critical is a waste IMO.

That describes a lot of new 'features' in recent years.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 10:40:28 AM »
Quote from: ronjonp

Agreed ..  :|

Custom Build PC

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 12:26:59 PM »

Are you saying you don't use the fluff-o-matic?
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 12:46:51 PM »

Are you saying you don't use the fluff-o-matic?

Now you know this is a family friendly environment ;-) LOL
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie