Author Topic: CAD Performance With LISP Vs Vanilla  (Read 5348 times)

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Re: CAD Performance With LISP Vs Vanilla
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2020, 12:53:17 PM »
lol too much urban dictionary :2funny:
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Rustabout

• Newt
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 10:42:42 PM »
I don't want to insult everyone by suggesting something so basic, but one thing that worked out well in the past for me was compiling my LISP files (ie: into a FAS file). I haven't touched AutoCAD 2021 so my advice could be completely ineffective here.

Also worth nothing: I am currently hunting for an AutoCAD alternative. It seems like it gets more and more bogged down every release. I don't use CAD very often so I don't have a constant install/license and find myself doing lots of work with an 'out-of-the-box' version. The last couple years I noticed editing blocks slows the program down a lot until I restart my session. The new version of 'insert' slows everything down immensely. My laptop is a bit older but I find that each release of Revit runs relatively smoother than each release of CAD.

Anyhow... I really only use CAD for basic 2D and 3D. I've been looking hard at the alternatives to try and find the best solution. They all have their charm but also annoying flaws, but most of the programs I've tried seem to run way smoother than AutoCAD; just saying it doesn't have to be 'AutoCAD' for your 2D drafting.

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2020, 12:23:06 AM »
Bricscad is probably the closest and is perpetul license.

Intellicad is good.

There are more.
A man who never made a mistake never made anything

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2020, 06:08:55 PM »
Quote from: Rustabout
I am currently hunting for an AutoCAD alternative.

If you want the closest thing there is, super fast, not bloated, and you are not limited to rental only, then BricsCAD.

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2020, 10:36:55 PM »
I would say BricsCAD
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
BricsCAD 2020x64 Windows 10x64

Rustabout

• Newt
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2020, 08:13:32 AM »
I tried and tested BricsCAD. First the 'BIM' extension to see if I could replace Revit entirely, then the plain 'vanilla' version. This was the second time I tried it out. To be honest I felt like they went down the wrong route; they seem to be following in Autodesk's footsteps in that they are adding a bunch of new flashy features which will barely see any usage, but not fixing/refining the basic features. An example is there parametric block system. They were bought out by a larger company named Hexagon.

BricsCAD performs incredibly fast. Also, from what I hear, the DWG file compatibility and stability of the program itself is top notch; maybe even better than AutoCAD. I am still thinking about getting a BricsCAD Classic license. But I would still need a AutoCAD LT subscription to use in conjunction with it. The cost of BricsCAD seems to have gone up as well (and the cost to upgrade).

I'm going to try ProgeCAD (I remember good things from a previous test/trial, but I think it was a bit unstable) and maybe one other alternative before making a firm decision. I wonder if, that since ProgeCAD is still based on IntelliCAD, LISP programs will perform well with it.

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2020, 09:52:31 PM »
Why would you need a LT if you have Bricscad ?

The pro version is very good with lisp etc and enhanced Vlisp options. Some things are outstanding but there support is fantastic, I posted a lisp question to Bricscad and they responded doubt Autodesk would. Their enhancements are going in right direction.
A man who never made a mistake never made anything

Rustabout

• Newt
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2020, 11:45:16 PM »
Why would you need a LT if you have Bricscad ?

Basically my workflow is heavily dependent on having dynamic blocks. So I would need an LT license at least until I finish all my dynamic blocks. Also pricing: With Autodesk's LT Suite you get Revit and AutoCAD LT together. It's actually a competitive package when comparing to other 'budget' options. Revit LT has some annoying things missing from it (like view filters and templates... wtf!!).

BricsCAD got more expensive, to the point where one needs to think twice about putting up the money for a perpetual license; such licenses aren't as valuable as they used to be.

Anyways... I've steered this topic completely in the wrong direction (apologies to the original poster!!). If we were to continue we could start a discussion in the BricsCAD forum (I won't reply to anything here). I'm eager to draw people into a discussion on AutoCAD alternatives, and the BricsCAD sub-forum seems to be buried enough that it's not checked very often.

Cheers.