Author Topic: Shared parameter limitations or just ID10T error?  (Read 288 times)

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
Shared parameter limitations or just ID10T error?
« on: February 12, 2020, 09:09:49 PM »
Even'n guys,

So I want to use a Shared parameter in a Logo we've designed to paste into other companies title blocks.  When the title block is inserted into the project it'll automatically show the information listed in the shared parameter listed in the Project Information dialog box.

The parameter is a Common discipline, Text parameter.

When the parameter is created in the project, it is a Common discipline, Text parameter, grouped under Other, Instance, Values aligned per group, Categories are Project Information & Sheets.
The parameter then shows up under the Project Information dialog box

When the parameter is inserted onto a title block & the title block is inserted into the project, the parameter auto-fills the data of the project.
Code: [Select]
Parameter
    Inserted to Title block
        Inserted to Project = filled

When the parameter is inserted into the logo & then the logo is inserted into the title block & then the title block is inserted into the project, the parameter is NOT filled.
Parameter
    Inserted to Logo
        Inserted to Title block
            Inserted to Project = nothing
Is this nested & it cannot be so?  Can it made to work as a nested element?

When the parameter is inserted into the logo & the logo is inserted into the project in a Starting View (Drafting View), the parameter is NOT filled.
Parameter
    Inserted to Logo
        Inserted to Project = nothing
Just as the title block but it is not working ... why?

Ideas & suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Hangman  8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm

John Kaul (Se7en)

• Administrator
  • Needs a day job
Re: Shared parameter limitations or just ID10T error?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 08:49:15 AM »
NOTE: I assume you are talking about the other guy's project and not your own. Also, not quite sure about the "nesting", I've never tried to do something so complicated.

This isn't working because the GUID's of the shared parameter's created are not the same [-i.e. yours and "bob's" are different]

Reference: This is what a parameter looks like in your Shared parameter file (that big long string of alpha-numeric is a GUID.
PARAM 461e87b6-e87f-4978-88a2-51d764ea6004 <someparameter> TEXT 21 1 1

So technically speaking, you could share that number and they could manually edit their shared parameter file (advanced) or they could EXPORT your parameter and use it in their project instead of creating one of their own (better).

To export:
Open a family.
Open Family Types.
Choose a parameter (that shared parameter for example) and choose the edit button.
Choose EXPORT.

I made a pretty big assumption at the beginning so I could be not understanding your post entirely.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Hangman

• Swamp Rat
Re: Shared parameter limitations or just ID10T error?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 04:39:12 PM »
Sorry John for not getting back earlier.
I assume you are talking about the other guy's project and not your own.

No actually, I'm talking about my own.  We receive title blocks from multiple Architects & need to implement them into our sheets.  These title blocks are just ... basic title blocks with the Architects logo, sheet name, number, project name, address, etc.

What I am trying to do is put our companies logo onto the title block & then insert the title block into my project.  This way when all of the sheets are printed, the structural sheets will show our companies logo on them.

So what I'm trying to simplify is the accessing of several places to edit project information, or trying to condense the access to one location, the Project Information Dialog box.

When I access the Project Information Dialog box, I should be seeing the Project Number parameter under the Other parameter grouping.  It is a default parameter built into Revit.  This parameter is used by the Architect so the Architects number will be something like 15108C.
So I'm creating a shared parameter that appears in the Project Information Dialog box for our companies project number that will read 039.0148, our project.  This shared parameter is also in our logo.  It is not shared outside of the office because no one out there will use it, it's all internal.

So as described, putting my shared parameter on the Architects title block & inserting it into my project, the parameter is filled with my project number.  The weird thing is when this same parameter is inserted in our logo (just like inserting it into the ttb) & inserting the logo directly into the project (just like the ttb), the logo does not show the project number but the ttb does show it.
Then, just like a nested family, if the parameter is inserted into the logo (level 1 nest) & the logo is inserted into the ttb (level 2 nest), then the ttb is inserted into the project, if the nesting is set correctly, the project number should show in the Project Information Dialog box & in the Logo on the Architects title block.  So it'll be a one-time, set-&-forget parameter that is used when the user is filling in the Project Information dialog.  I just have to make it work.   :thinking:
Hangman  8)

Drafting Board, Mechanical Arm, KOH-I-NOOR 0.7mm