Author Topic: I Wan't to play around with an "AutoCAD Clone". Which one should I pick?  (Read 9173 times)

Rustabout

• Newt
Musts:

-Has to have a command line;
   -Has to use AutoLISP and preferably, Visual LISP extensions;
   -Must produce stable .DWG files;
   -And obviously, should be much cheaper than AutoCAD.

Preferences:

-Can make dynamic blocks (with parameters, actions, attributes, etc...) that have equal functionality to AutoCAD's blocks. Or is able to achieve the same
    usefulness we get from dynamic blocks through some other means.
   -3D is included for a reasonably cheap price.

I think most of the more prominent products now include dynamic blocks (some where lacking before). Curious to hear some thoughts from people experienced in using the other CAD's out there.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 02:08:44 AM by Rustabout »

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
Re: I Wan't to play around with an "AutoCAD Clone". Which one should I pick?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 08:36:21 AM »
If you need an add-on you may want to look at https://cadavenue.com/mech-q.htm
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

GDF

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 10:25:32 AM »
BricsCAD
Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?
BricsCAD 2020x64 Windows 10x64

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 03:41:00 PM »
BTW I think Dynamic Block creations is still prohibited under a patent held by Autodesk.
Bricscad can edit the blocks:  https://help.bricsys.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006470354-Dynamic-Blocks

Atook

• Swamp Rat
  • AKA Tim
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 10:16:50 PM »
I think BricsCAD v20 includes support for parametric blocks, not dynamic though.

Rustabout

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 05:56:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

I recall BricsCAD being the best alternative. What deterred me from their offering is the price increase. Additionally, as we've seen, these companies aren't always shy about changing licensing rules on us. A "perpetual license" isn't as attractive as it used to be (unless a bunch of people organize a class action and are successful hehe).

AutoCAD opened the door for competition. But either nobody stepped up. Or they increased their price a bit too much.

It's definitely hard to live without dynamic blocks once you get used to them. I also wonder if the programs will be a bit "crashy" when importing AutoCAD dynamic blocks.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 05:06:46 PM »
Parametric Blocks are another form of a dynamic block.https://blog.bricsys.com/dynamic-blocks-vs-2d-parametric-blocks/

Rustabout

• Newt
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 06:33:24 PM »
I feel like "Dynamic" Is defining "Actions" combined with "Parameters", while "Parametric" is more the constraint parameters.

In AutoCAD, I find that constraints and constraint parameters are less stable than using the actions, especially during block creation. I use actions whenever I can get away with em. And they are quicker and easier. I can, however, make almost any block with either actions or constraints exclusively (some exceptions of course). I only recently learned that actions could be "scaled"; previously I had to use constrain parameters if I wanted something to "stretch" by a factor. I can create dynamic blocks much faster using the actions too, along with being more stable. Is it worth paying extra $100's of dollars for each year? Probably not, especially since BricsCAD says you can import blocks made in AutoCAD into BricsCAD. One could utilize the monthly subscription and just spend one month per year making/editing blocks. Then back to BricsCAD.

Learnt a ton... but only so much time in a day. I'm still scared to commit to something 100%. If I do maybe I ought to post my review/experience.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 09:03:22 PM »
BricsCAD is by far the best AutoCAD alternative hands down.
While the price has increased over the last few years it's still way cheaper than AutoCAD and has much more native .DWG capabilities and is a lot faster and more stable.
For example, the Platinum version of BricsCAD incorporates (more or less) the AutoCAD verticals such as Revit and Inventor but also includes Sheetmetal, Civil and BIM, the BIG difference is that these features are all native .DWG.....think about that for a moment ;)
"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 04:16:11 PM »
switch to BricsCAD+1
Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 04:27:33 PM »
switch to BricsCAD+2
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Matthew H

• Newt
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 10:22:19 AM »
switch to BricsCAD+3

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 01:33:16 PM »
BricsCAD is by far the best AutoCAD alternative hands down.
While the price has increased over the last few years it's still way cheaper than AutoCAD and has much more native .DWG capabilities and is a lot faster and more stable.
For example, the Platinum version of BricsCAD incorporates (more or less) the AutoCAD verticals such as Revit and Inventor but also includes Sheetmetal, Civil and BIM, the BIG difference is that these features are all native .DWG.....think about that for a moment ;)

Point for clarity: Revit and Inventor are not AutoCAD verticals.  They are not built on the AutoCAD platform, they are completely separate code bases, and separate from each other as well.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

qingai

• Mosquito
Draftsight doesnt do 3d, but dors offer good "round trip" functionality.
BricsCAD is very similar to AutoCAD. The biggest advantage it has is that its cheaper and its substantionally faster at 3D modeling.
Other options include LibreCAD, NanoCAD and TurboCAD.
https://pctechtest.com/best-2d-cad-drafting-software

mlb6d9

• Mosquito
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2024, 04:21:23 PM »
I've been using CadMate since 2019 and really like it.  It has the look , feel, and responsiveness of Autocad 2008, with the newer functions and without the bloated feel of newer versions of Autocad.  GstarCad is the same thing.  You can get a permanent license for around $600