Author Topic: Drawing details?, components?, attributes?  (Read 2616 times)

batterybuilding

Drawing details?, components?, attributes?
« on: November 06, 2019, 11:31:32 AM »
I fully realize this a vague question, but it's kinda driving me buggy.  I was taking descriptive geometry class a couple of years ago.  We used 2016 Autocad exclusively.  The instructor gave us a tip on how to view some "under the hood" details of a drawing file.  At the time i jotted it down because I thought it might be useful someday but didn't wholly understand what I was looking at.  Well i lost that note.  And now 2 years into my CAD career, as I am trying to resolve various Autocad issues on my own, I am wondering if that would be helpful...

I *think* it was a command line entry.  It opened a separate window with what looked to me like Windows 3.1 era icons (looked old).  I *think* fonts, linetypes, and other "stuff attached" to the drawing could be listed.

Please help me address my repressed memories... :idiot2:

Thanks in advance

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Re: Drawing details?, components?, attributes?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 12:08:37 PM »
Etransmit?

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

batterybuilding

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »
After clicking through every menu item several times, I think i was looking at Designcenter, command line is ADCENTER.  The command doesn't seem familiar, but I'm fairly certain of the content.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 02:13:53 PM »
After clicking through every menu item several times, I think i was looking at Designcenter, command line is ADCENTER.  The command doesn't seem familiar, but I'm fairly certain of the content.
You can also access design center with CNTRL+2 or 'DC'. Welcome to TheSwamp! :)

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 11:31:48 PM »
This sounds like the VLISP editor.  I also use it for diagnostic work.

Starts withe VLISP command.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

batterybuilding

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 09:31:45 AM »
Thanks all for the responses.  I have been tasked with "cleaning up" a bunch of drawings being lower on the totem pole.  The current reason for wanting more details about a drawing is that i have a missing .shx file.  Going back and getting the missing linetype or font is not realistic and this is a legend for a drawing package so not a lot of geometry to sift through if I delete or alter a linetype.

So, at the risk of hijacking my own thread (let's call it a segue), how can I determine what text or line is using this custom missing shape file?  The Autodesk help page gives you options for resolving the missing .shx, but one of the steps is figuring out what is using it.