Author Topic: Making Revision Blocks Data Extraction Friendly  (Read 1526 times)

chilldaddy

• Mosquito
Making Revision Blocks Data Extraction Friendly
« on: September 06, 2019, 02:25:27 PM »
I am re-thinking revision block structure. 

GOAL: To facilitate extracting the values of each revision level's attribute values programmatically.

TWO OPTIONS:

ONE: An existing revision block defined as a separate block insert for each revision with inserts stacked on top of the preceding one. (I currently use this type.)

TWO: A monolithic, multi-line revision block made up of predefined attribute tags (for example revision I.D. tag would be REVA, REVB...etc.) This  is not my favorite, by the way.

From a programmer's perspective, which of the two options facilitate data extraction?

P.S: We are now not using Autodesk full version software now and its handy (.... or cursed....) dynamic/anonymous block paradigm. So, I am free to start afresh with static blocks.

Thanks!!!!

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
Re: Making Revision Blocks Data Extraction Friendly
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 07:22:11 PM »
Using method 2 is possibly easier as its one block with attributes, you can use two methods of reading the block either by tagname or you can use the attribute order, eg 1st att is reva 5th att is revb and so on.

Using a stacked method is a bit harder as you have only 1 block name but multi blocks to find and interrogate.
A man who never made a mistake never made anything

chilldaddy

• Mosquito
Re: Making Revision Blocks Data Extraction Friendly
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 08:34:13 AM »
I appreciate your response. With the present mindset about tracking drawings in this unusual CAD environment (no EDM and no past CAD standards), a THIRD OPTION and would be to simply BURST the old revision(s) as single block inserts; keeping only the latest revision as a block insert in which to extract current revision data only.

This data will be managed in a MS Excel and LISP-based application by one outstanding developer, Lee Mac. Thanks Lee!

Clint