CAD Forums > CAD General

Creation of STEP files via web interface

(1/3) > >>

labaneseren:
I'm on the hunt for a Tool, preferably one that can be installed directly on my server, that will allow me to generate CAD files (eg. STEP) based on some parameters input by the user via the browser.
It's just like those sites where you can download a STEP file of bolts and nuts in all sizes. You input the length and size, and the step file is generated. I assume it is using some CAD generator on the server, that just inputs the parameters to a parametric model, which is then converted into a STEP or other formats.
an example is www.solidcomponents.com

Do any of you guys know of such a tool?
Or can I make it myself, using some kind of command based CAD generator?

I've been using CAD software for ages, but I've never had to go "below the surface" before.

Thanks so much!

dgorsman:
I'm not entirely certain they generate such files.  Within a limited number of variables, it would be far easier to simply return a pre-made version.

kdub_nz:
From a quick look, they seem to be distributing pre-made files provided by manufacturers and/or distributors.

I know of no tool to do the job for you.

MickD:
Most of the sites where you download model files would have each file pre-made, bolts for example come in say 5mm increments for length. A possible way to do this without CAD would be to have 'template' files where the user could enter the parameters and a server script adds this data to the template in the right places making the files somewhat parametric.

To create these files using a CAD engine you may need a special license as well as you are giving many people access to the app as a server when they are generally allowed only one user per seat.

Welcome to the Swamp!

labaneseren:
Hi all. Thanks for your replies.
I'm pretty sure the files are generated and not pre-made. The amount of variables can be quite large for some type of parts (eg. springs).
To see such kind of tool in action, check out this amazing site:
https://www.protiq.com/en/gear-configurator/
or
https://www.protiq.com/en/ics-cover-configurator/

I don't need real-time updated models like that, but it definitely shows that some CAD engine is at work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version