Author Topic: auotcad to revit  (Read 2153 times)

shibuc

auotcad to revit
« on: May 01, 2019, 03:27:13 PM »
Hi All,
Last 10 years our sprinkler company working with autocad mep. we have our own sprinkler software too. but now we are planing to move to revit. but we noticed that drawing sprinkler piping in revit is not easy and flexible as mep. but for cordination and all revit is better. so is there any way to export the drawing  into revit and remodel it with revit parts. Is their any third party software available in market to convert autocad fitting to revit. Please let me know
Thanks
Shibu
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 04:15:23 PM by shibuc »

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: auotcad to revit
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 04:19:43 PM »
You can always try: Export (from AutoCAD) to ifc.  But you still need to be set up properly in autocad (coordinates, elevations,etc) for it to work smoothly. And, you’d be “designing on an island” so to speak so you’d have to judge the pitfalls yourselves. I’d go all out in Revit, to save myself the problems you WILL encounter going the AutoCAD-ifc route but that’s up to you.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 04:21:27 PM »
There will definitely be a learning curve making the transition to Revit but I wouldn't think about establishing a workflow like you are suggesting. Bite the bullet and just do it in Revit. You will learn Revit quicker in the long run.

With that said, you can import .dwgs into Revit but it is not a recommended workflow. Rather you should link the CAD and use it as a guide to do your modeling in Revit.
CAD Tech

shibuc

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 12:49:25 PM »
Hi John & rob Thanks for the reply,
A few year back i noticed one post and a you tube video regarding this in "Theswamp". it is two part programming. (1)Export the drawing elements detail to an external data from auto cad using api. and (2). import the data in revit and replace the element with revit elements which their common unique parameters. He said it is under development and will be release in the future. But i can't find that post anymore. Our company develop some sprinkler programs in mep and it works fine. But nowadays in cordinations all other works like Electrical Duct... combines together in revit. we can import the dwg in revit, but if we have any modification after cordination it will be a head ace. we can't modify the dwg parts in revit. they comes as solids not elements. Any idea.
Thanks
Shibu