Author Topic: Should I buy IronCAD 2016?  (Read 2979 times)

Acon

• Mosquito
Should I buy IronCAD 2016?
« on: April 28, 2019, 09:27:29 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm a 12-yr 3D designer and my mail tools are Spaceclaim, Solidthinking Evolve, Sketchup and ZBrush. I always want to learn another parametric, mechanics-oriented CAD software. Most of the designers around me here in Australia use Solidworks but it's way too expensive to me. After some research I found IronCAD might be a good alternative.

But the IronCAD 2019 version is still too expensive to afford (around AUD $6500). I found a online dealer selling IronCAD Design Collaboration Suite 2016 for only USD $499 which is really a good deal to me. So I got several questions here:

(1) How do you compare the IronCAD 2016 with the new IronCAD 2019? I know a 3-yr difference will not be small, but for a normal user I care more about the stability, graphic efficiency and user experience in daily-life functionalities. Some fancy new features might be handy but I don't need them if I'm not ganna use them. Is there any critical improvement during these 3 years that I really need to pursue, or will I be ok with the 2016 one?

I use a Microsoft Surface Book 2 laptop now with the nVidia 1060 graphic card as a main CAD PC. Not a superduper machine but good enough for most of my work.

(2) Is the "Design Collaboration Suite" a full version? I know there are some different IronCAD versions (Inovate, Draft and Compose) and each has it's own limitations. I definitely want a full package in case I need some of the features in the future.

(3) Is IronCAD a subscription-based software? I would not buy it if it is. I hate subscription stuff.

(4) Is IronCAD a cloud-based software? Again I would not buy it if it is. I hate cloud-based stuff (Fusion360/Onshape). Internet speed here in Australia is shxxxt.

Anyway thanks for anyone who can help me. Any input is appreciated.

Hope you have a great day!

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
Re: Should I buy IronCAD 2016?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 06:02:37 PM »
Hi Acon, welcome to The Swamp!

I had a look at IronCAD years ago, it looked good but as you say expensive. The old version is a good price but you'll have to update at some time and face the same issue of cost.

Have you had a look at Bricscad yet? It has come a very long way and may do what you want and the Platinum version is around 1/4 of the price. This includes sheet metal, architecture and full 3d parametric modeling similar to Solidworks/Inventor et al and would be well worth a look.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&biw=1920&bih=954&tbm=vid&ei=MXTHXN3SEcqCyAOO2LCwAQ&q=Bricscad+solid+modelling+2019&oq=Bricscad+solid+modelling+2019&gs_l=psy-ab.3...5694.7242.0.7743.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.dtK63AX-s8A

hope that helps,
Mick
"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

Acon

• Mosquito
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 08:26:21 AM »
Thanks Mick,

The BricsCAD look quite intuitive (somehow very similar to Sketchup), but how do you compare it to IronCAD? Which one is better (if the price is not a factor).

I am trying the IronCAD and found it really really easy to use.

Cheers,

Acon

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 08:31:32 AM »
The BricsCAD look quite intuitive (somehow very similar to Sketchup),

I would say BricsCAD SHAPE is more comparable to Sketchup.

Acon

• Mosquito
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 04:17:06 PM »
I would say BricsCAD SHAPE is more comparable to Sketchup.

Yeah the BricsCAD SHAPE looks almost like Sketchup to me. I am a 12-yr Sketchup user and at a professional level, but what I need is a professional MCAD package. Sketchup is not a MCAD modeler.

Will look into BricsCAD and see if it can beat IronCAD. I really need a good tool to do all the mechanical stuff here.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 05:57:37 PM »
I haven't done mech work for quite a while and I used Inventor mostly. From what I've seen of Bricscad, it is every bit (if not more) capable than Inventor.

Another reason to think about Bricscad is that it uses the .DWG drawing format as standard, this is pretty big as you can collaborate a lot easier without other disciplines needing to convert your drawings etc.

This would be my checklist for a 3D modelling package (regardless of discipline):
- Reasonably intuitive modelling (but not always necessary. For example, Tekla Structures is quite a different modelling tool but once learned was very productive compared to others)
- Must have the ability to produce quality 'live' 2D drawing views/sections/details from the model. Automatic detailing/dimensioning is a nice to have but I find I can spend more time cleaning drawings than just detailing myself. Inventor, Bricscad etc usually provide some level of automatic dim update features to make updates with changes.
- The ability to produce 'live' BOM's and other reports

Bricscad handles all the above well at a fraction of the price.

I'd definitely spend a few weeks learning and working with Bricscad (you get a month free trial), check out the videos that perform the listed points above to see how it ticks.
:)
"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
J.R.R. Tolkien