CAD Forums > CAD General

Should I buy IronCAD 2016?

(1/2) > >>

Acon:
Hello everyone. I'm a 12-yr 3D designer and my mail tools are Spaceclaim, Solidthinking Evolve, Sketchup and ZBrush. I always want to learn another parametric, mechanics-oriented CAD software. Most of the designers around me here in Australia use Solidworks but it's way too expensive to me. After some research I found IronCAD might be a good alternative.

But the IronCAD 2019 version is still too expensive to afford (around AUD $6500). I found a online dealer selling IronCAD Design Collaboration Suite 2016 for only USD $499 which is really a good deal to me. So I got several questions here:

(1) How do you compare the IronCAD 2016 with the new IronCAD 2019? I know a 3-yr difference will not be small, but for a normal user I care more about the stability, graphic efficiency and user experience in daily-life functionalities. Some fancy new features might be handy but I don't need them if I'm not ganna use them. Is there any critical improvement during these 3 years that I really need to pursue, or will I be ok with the 2016 one?

I use a Microsoft Surface Book 2 laptop now with the nVidia 1060 graphic card as a main CAD PC. Not a superduper machine but good enough for most of my work.

(2) Is the "Design Collaboration Suite" a full version? I know there are some different IronCAD versions (Inovate, Draft and Compose) and each has it's own limitations. I definitely want a full package in case I need some of the features in the future.

(3) Is IronCAD a subscription-based software? I would not buy it if it is. I hate subscription stuff.

(4) Is IronCAD a cloud-based software? Again I would not buy it if it is. I hate cloud-based stuff (Fusion360/Onshape). Internet speed here in Australia is shxxxt.

Anyway thanks for anyone who can help me. Any input is appreciated.

Hope you have a great day!

MickD:
Hi Acon, welcome to The Swamp!

I had a look at IronCAD years ago, it looked good but as you say expensive. The old version is a good price but you'll have to update at some time and face the same issue of cost.

Have you had a look at Bricscad yet? It has come a very long way and may do what you want and the Platinum version is around 1/4 of the price. This includes sheet metal, architecture and full 3d parametric modeling similar to Solidworks/Inventor et al and would be well worth a look.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&biw=1920&bih=954&tbm=vid&ei=MXTHXN3SEcqCyAOO2LCwAQ&q=Bricscad+solid+modelling+2019&oq=Bricscad+solid+modelling+2019&gs_l=psy-ab.3...5694.7242.0.7743.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.dtK63AX-s8A

hope that helps,
Mick

Acon:
Thanks Mick,

The BricsCAD look quite intuitive (somehow very similar to Sketchup), but how do you compare it to IronCAD? Which one is better (if the price is not a factor).

I am trying the IronCAD and found it really really easy to use.

Cheers,

Acon

rkmcswain:

--- Quote from: Acon on April 30, 2019, 08:26:21 AM ---The BricsCAD look quite intuitive (somehow very similar to Sketchup),

--- End quote ---

I would say BricsCAD SHAPE is more comparable to Sketchup.

Acon:

--- Quote from: rkmcswain on April 30, 2019, 08:31:32 AM ---I would say BricsCAD SHAPE is more comparable to Sketchup.

--- End quote ---

Yeah the BricsCAD SHAPE looks almost like Sketchup to me. I am a 12-yr Sketchup user and at a professional level, but what I need is a professional MCAD package. Sketchup is not a MCAD modeler.

Will look into BricsCAD and see if it can beat IronCAD. I really need a good tool to do all the mechanical stuff here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version