CAD Forums > The Third Dimension

Graphics Cards for 3DS Max and Maya (Arnold Rendering)

(1/3) > >>

DeeGeeCees_V.2.0:
Does anyone have any experience with this? I've been working up some product animation sequences, but for now I've had to rely on a GTX 1060, which handles things 'just ok'. Looking around for more power, I've boiled it down to purchasing a Titan RTX. It's fairly new tech but looks promising from what I've read. I've also read that (2) RTX 2080 ti's will out perform (1) Titan. The costs of 2 vs 1 are the same, so this is why I'm looking for more info, and hopefully someone with real world experience on the matter and not just a comment section review, which is about all I could find at the moment.

Here's a comparison for (1) vs (1):

Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti vs Titan RTX
Userbenchmark Effective 3D Gaming GPU Speed: 198% vs 225% 
Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti  - 1st / 608 
Nvidia Titan RTX  - 1st / 608

...or maybe I should go a different direction altogether(?). Just looking for options based on experience at this point.

dgorsman:
For now, Arnold is CPU only so all of that won't affect rendering.  Reportedly there's a GPU assisted version in development but that could be a while.  It may also have hardware restrictions.

DeeGeeCees_V.2.0:

--- Quote from: dgorsman on February 22, 2019, 11:23:31 AM ---For now, Arnold is CPU only so all of that won't affect rendering.  Reportedly there's a GPU assisted version in development but that could be a while.  It may also have hardware restrictions.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the response. I'm still new to all this, so any help is much appreciated and that explains a lot.

I expect I'll still get better regen times and less lagging on the GUI with a better card than the 1060. I guess I should start looking into a faster processor. I'm currently running an Intel i7-6700 3.4GHz 4 Core 8LP, which is kinda zippy. It seems like more cores would greatly improve rendering times.

dgorsman:
Yeah, you'll also be better future proofed with the 2080.  Even if the RTX functions aren't used now, they should be in a few years.

More cores will benefit Arnold, provided there is sufficient RAM.  For really fast render times, consider getting a second older computer with multiple processors.  It doesn't have to be cutting edge so shouldn't cost that much.

DeeGeeCees_V.2.0:

--- Quote from: dgorsman on February 22, 2019, 07:07:49 PM ---Yeah, you'll also be better future proofed with the 2080.  Even if the RTX functions aren't used now, they should be in a few years.

More cores will benefit Arnold, provided there is sufficient RAM.  For really fast render times, consider getting a second older computer with multiple processors.  It doesn't have to be cutting edge so shouldn't cost that much.

--- End quote ---

Ok, I appreciate the info. I'm already networked to a similar PC as my main, so for $500 cheaper I can get the 2080, up my RAM to 32Gigs (from 16), and get a Threadripper 1920x (12 cores) and a MB to handle it.

This sounds like a plan. I may owe you a beer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version